10 of 10 on Free Throws Tonight

I think you are reading to respond, and not reading to understand.

Statistics and averages do not matter if:

A) refs blindside you with calls that swing momentum

B) said refs take away depth advantages by (see letter A)

The numbers would be skewed. You want to bring up stats and averages? Did that game look like an average game of Cougar basketball? I don’t think so, and again, it’s is a lot easier (in any given situation) to make an uncontested shot (FT) than one that you’re being swarmed on. It’s in the name ,“free” throws. A free attempt on the basket.

Don’t worry it’s not just us Ben; I’m just more vocal about the Coogs. The entire conference has issues with these AAC refs. Go look at the games in which teams shoot well, and still lose; the magic number is 21. The team that gets 21 or more fouls called against them, usually loses.

1 Like

As long as the second half refs are NOT AAC refs! Perfect! :joy:

2 Likes

I think fouls will even over the AAC tournament since it is a neutral site. I think refs are effected by the home crowd as far as calling fouls across the board!

1 Like

So 1.46 points per an average trip to the line? You proved getting free throws is better than field goal attempts. Not to mention the obvious impact on the opposing team getting into foul trouble.

1 Like

Also add that FGA pts will be higher than FTA pts because 2’s and 3’s, are greater than 1’s. Unless those numbers account for that difference, but that still doesn’t change the fact that scoring FTs is easier than FGs but are always dependent on the whistle of the refs.

What are you even trying to argue? You change your point in each comment. First it’s which type of shot is easier to get points, then you move the goalpost to which is an easier individual shot to make regardless of points, and then it’s that it doesn’t matter which is easier because the refs are going to skew it anyways.

If you can get double the free throws, sure. 2 FTA > 1 FGA. But that’s not what happened in this game.

I have to change my argument because I’m responding to you. I can make multiple points to serve the same argument, I’m not limited to only one. However, I’m still waiting on your actual response to my points.

How in the world are two FTA greater than 1 FGA?

-You can make both free throws and it would be 2 pts (unless an and-1) that’s still even with a FGA (unless a 3), but it would be less, and not greater than.
-You can miss both free throws or split them and that would either be 0 or 1 pt.
-But you can not split a made FGA.

1 Like

You must be being intentionally obtuse. I’ve posted this several times in this thread:

Let’s do some obviously difficult mathematics.
2 FTA x .73 pts = 1.46 pts. Got it? Great!
1 FGA x .97 pts = .97 pts. Still with me?
1.46 pts > .97 pts. Whoa! See what we did there?
2 FTA > 1 FGA And now we’ve arrived!

1 Like

lol Based on an average? What happens when things don’t go to plan? I still don’t know where you’re getting these numbers from because 2 FTs will never be greater than 2’s and 3’s.

You would need 4FTs for it to be greater than a FGA.

I didn’t see the game because I’m in Europe right now. Just talking basic basketball here. You typically get 2 free throws from the line so not sure why you would compare 1 FTA to 1 FGA. Saying FGs are easier than FTs is basically saying you would rather get an offensive possession over 2 FTs. No coach would prefer that unless specific situations.

As for the game, its a little over blown since 10 free throws came in the last minute for UConn with I assume UH intentionally fouling to catch up. Definitely not like the Memphis or SMU road games which at times were tough to watch with all the fouls for the home team.

Because UCONN took 23 more FTA than we did, but we took 23 more FGA than they did. I made a comment that it was interesting that it was the same discrepancy in shot attempts:

And xsmith went on the offensive:

This thread has been circling the drain ever since.

These numbers are from UH’s season statistics. As a team they’ve scored 1743 points on 1801 FGA, and 434 pts on 592 FTA.

And yet your rebuttals are partial, lacking, or non existent to my points above. But please go on about my behavior, and hurl insults. That’s what’s important here.

1 Like

Yeah, 12 more offensive rebounds and an extra 11 FGAs since UConn had 23 more FTs which is around 11 possessions (23/2=11.5). Makes sense. Our offensive rebounding ability is one thing that would make FGAs a little more valuable for us than other teams.

Wow. Poor victim.

Lol are you ok today? Wasn’t claiming to be a victim. I was pointing out your need to post unrelated banter.

1 Like

Pretty good. Any reason why you went aggressive at me?

If by aggressive you mean replying to a comment, I thought it’d get the a conversation going.

1 Like

It looks to me that there is a “clear” pattern of unfair officiating against our Coogs on the road in conference games. Someone who is good in Statisitics should calculate the average of free throws called against us (and against our opponents) on the road.
I would guess the disparity would be 2 to 1 (at least).
If that’s true, then I think our AD will need to bring up this issue with conference commissioner.

2 Likes