16 Team Playoff with 10 Auto-bids

Yes, at least because it wasn’t purported to be a playoff. And in the old system a BCS bowl seems like it was more important than a non-playoff NY6 bowl (both for the BCS and non-BCS conferences). Now we have an invitational that is ruining other bowl games.

1 Like

My bet over the next 8 to 10 years is the latter.

I think you are correct. If the paying the players actually happens it will be much sooner…smells like a lot of money going to lawyers over all the mess that’s coming.

The sport, in its current state, is shrinking. Its time for D1 football to bite the bullet and include the entire FBS to play for the national title like every other sport played on earth.

More money will be made. More fans will watch. More young kids will choose football.

1 Like

:+1:
The day the cfp started to limit a national “involvement” is the day when College Football will eventually go into obscurity. It won’t happen overnight but the H.S. Football participation downward spiral can’t be ignored.
We can all agree that football participation is going down annually. This is what espn is not telling you.

This is from 2018

This is from 2017

So why would the cfp not extend the cfp to 16 Schools? Corinthcoog is 100% correct. The overall football interest can only benefit from it. By keeping this current cfp format the cfp is itself jeopardizing the future of college football.

Kids aren’t shying away from football because college national title chances are limited.

It’s because the growing sentiment is that the sport isn’t safe and the long-term risks of playing the game aren’t worth it.

1 Like

Any playoff changes will be predicated on enhancing revenues for the syndicate. Anything beyond that will be an afterthought and will get little more than passing attention.

1 Like

This is exactly why the cfp should not limit the cfp to four or even eight Teams. At eight Teams there is no chance whatsoever that a G5 gets in.
Getting 16 Teams will without a doubt nationally re-energize our national sport. The “quick buck” is a long time recipe for the sport to disappear.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt youth football participation levels have dropped. At some HS its is drastic to the point where you have 6A squads with 30 or less kids on varsity. Son graduated last year, played football and baseball…the baseball team was bigger in size than the football. The concussion issues have raised the athletic level in baseball dramatically…great if you’re a baseball freak like me…not good for football

1 Like

Increasing the size of the playoffs won’t reinvigorate anything. The top draws for eyeballs aren’t, so adding smaller schools won’t convince a parent to forgo the health risks to their child.

4 Likes

Well put.

#16 vs #1 ??? Who wants to watch the sun-belt champion get beat by the SEC champion??? NO ONE!!

16 = too many teams

5 Likes

If you let the sun belt champion play for the title the sun belt teams would be better. That’s the whole point, even the playing field for better teams overall.

2 Likes

BINGO! Not only the sun belt but the American would get a lot better and that’s why the P5s are not going to let it go to 16. We will be lucky if it goes to 8 letting one G5 team in. Letting one G5 team in will build hope for the top G5 teams and increase the level of recruits.

3 Likes

Fine. But there have to be at least 10 teams.

The point is to give every team in the division an opportunity to play for a national title. Otherwise it’s just an invitational tournament.

8 team playoff system
-SEC champion
-BIG 10 champion
-ACC champion
-AAC champion
-Big 12 champion
-PAC 12 champion
-Winner of play in game between CUSA champion and Sunbelt champion
-Winner of play in game between Mountain West champion and MAC champion

*independents will need to join one of the 10 conferences In order to play in the playoff

3 Likes

In my scenario, the playoff might have looked like
-LSU
-Ohio State
-Clemson
-Oklahoma
-Oregon
-Memphis
-Boise State
-App State

If you have a system where any undefeated team has a spot in the playoff, then every team would have a chance. You can do that with an 8 team playoff. Maybe up to 12 to reward the top 4 teams with a bye. What I love about college football is your season is on the line every week. Regular season means less the bigger the playoff gets.

You guys are way over blowing a playoff spot giving a boost to teams. Sunbelt teams aren’t pulling in any top recruits in basketball. The talent gap is the same. Only difference is that in basketball you can have a small program starting 5 seniors going against a big program with all freshman-sophomores. Then of course upsets in basketball can happen if you get hot from 3. You can play multiple games a week too. It’s just not the same in football.

Why does FCS not have more teams making the championship? Why are the weaker conferences at that level not rising up? North Dakota St has won 7 of the last 8 championships and are back in it this year in the 3rd matchup against James Madison in 4 years. In the last 10 years, only 9 different teams have made the championship!

3 Likes

This is pretty much what I had in mind. Except the ten conference champs would be seeded by the committee and the bottom four seeds would play those two games for a spot in an 8-team bracket.

1	 2	 3	 4	

_1_				
_9_		___					
	___				
_10_		___					
	_3_				
		___		
	_6_							
				_CHAMP_
	_2_
_7_		___		
	___
_8_			___
	_4_	
		___
	_5_

We are headed towards an 8 team playoff because the momentum for it has only gotten bigger since the playoff’s inception. You can quibble with how that 8 team playoff would be organized. I can say with just as much certainty that there will not be a 16 team playoff for a number of reasons.

1. Time constraints. It would lengthen the season to 17 games for the teams that reach the championship. This will cut into the time for finals and/or draft preparation for departing players. The current season wouldn’t end until late January if there were 16 teams playing.

2. It will add gasoline onto the fire for direct forms of player compensation, which I know most college administrators would like to avoid.

3. It would not level the playing field nearly as much as some people think. More parity exists in basketball (IMO) than in football and how many times has a 16 seed upset a 1 seed? Once… out of 140 tries or .7%. That is percentage chance I would give Iowa of beating LSU if they had a 1 vs 16 matchup with this year’s CFP.

2 Likes