2020 bracketology

I would love to play Wisconsin first.

newest brackets have us in LA vs usc. but the south bracket has ou, baylor and tech…i think they would switch us into the south if we still the 8 seed and put tech in the la bracket. makes no sense to have three big12 teams in one region and none in the other.

UH is hosting the South Regional so I don’t think they can be put in the South. They would potentially play their Sweet 16 game at Toyota Center if they were in the South.

3 Likes

Didn’t Cincy play at home last year? We need some cooking!

1 Like

Yeah one of those will have to be moved as it’s a rule that conference teams aren’t allowed to face each other before a Regional Final. That would be Oklahoma if Selection Sunday were today and assuming the National Seed List holds to Net Rankings.

As far as the home cooking, I’m confused. This is what the NCAA says:

A host institution’s team shall not be permitted to play at the site where the institution is hosting . However, the team may play on the same days when the institution is hosting.

Teams may play at a site where the conference of which it is a member is serving as the host.

And this is from the wikipedia page on NCAA Tournament Selection:

Better teams have priority in remaining close to home, but no hosting institution’s team can actually play at the location where the institution is hosting tournament games (generally, games are hosted on neutral courts, so this is not usually a problem). Sometimes a top team may be a short drive away from its games; in 2006 Villanova played its first and second round games in Philadelphia at an arena where they had played three games that year, one fewer than the four required for a site to be considered a “home court” for a team, and in 2002 the Pitt Panthers played their first and second round games in the city of Pittsburgh at Mellon Arena (which was not their home court after the opening of their on-campus arena).

Sooooo yeah lol idk :man_shrugging:t6: If we’re hosting but the games aren’t at The FC then are we still prohibited and get shipped off? if so, then can we stop hosting since it seems Houston (Toyota Center) gets selected often for 1st/2nd Rounds and Regionals? What do we get out of being a host?

the A-10 hosted the 2006 rounds in Philadelphia and Duquesne hosted Pittsburgh in 2002. so UH needed Rice to be the host of the South Regional? (but that would mean I could not buy South Regional tickets through UH!)

1 Like

Ohio State hosted the Columbus, OH regional. 2020 is not the year for home cooking: St Louis is the closest First Round site and Indy/LA are the closest Regionals not hosted by UH. However, Dallas is hosting a First Round next year and the Final Four is in Houston in 2023 so let’s shoot for that home cooking! (Edited the Final Four date)

3 Likes

Final Four is in Indianapolis next year. Next Houston Final Four is 2023.
Closest sites for 2021 are Dallas-1st/2nd and Memphis Regional. As a Dallas Coog, this is awesome but wait, the year after that is even better!

For 2022 Ft Worth-1st/2nd, San Antonio Regional and New Orleans Final Four. THIS IS THE YEAR FOR US!!! Coog Basketball and Great Nightlife 3 weekends in a row? I might not survive lol

3 Likes

We’re UH…we’ll be at Spokane. :grinning:

5 Likes

@olutrain

For all us Dallas Coogs :crossed_fingers: Let’s go!

2 Likes

Sign me up!

3 Likes

I’ve always thought the committee seeded us fairy in the tourney but we always draw a bad region.

For many years there was no region. It was go home. Last year was good draw to go to Tulsa, then KC. Other option was going to be East Coast if I remember correctly .

Which objectively is pretty fair treatment for a program that has 1 tourney appearance in the past 30 years.

2 Likes

I was thinking that as well but from a different angle.

I thought the committee was incredibly unfair to us by not even including us in the invites for 30 years.

The committee is probably run by longhorns that work at the chronicle and voted for Ann Richards.

5 Likes

UH is currently projected as an 8th seed in the Midwest region as of 1/24/20.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

4 AAC teams in as of right now

3 Likes

KC was a brutal regional. Us, Auburn, Kentucky and Carolina were all really good. Any of those teams could have made the final 4 none of those teams went down without a serious fight except Carolina and that’s because Auburn was playing NBA Jam from the 3 point line they could have beaten some pro teams shooting like that.

How far we have come! From one dance (2010) in decades to now being in three years in a row with a league sending 4 and others to the NIT!

4 Likes

Thats hilarious I know they’re in first place with the current tiebreaker but those are due to home wins. Tulsa won’t even make the AAC final in neutral site Fort Worth I’ll call that right now.

2 Likes