2021-2022 UH Basketball Roster

No one is disputing that Grimes is really good, but not a superstar. I could at least 10 players who were better than Grimes at UH and some were not All-America’s.
But hey go ahead and call anyone you want a superstar if it makes you feel better.

2 Likes

not sure why you are trying so hard to diminish grimes , between this and that other thread

i think you have legacy bias, in which anything that is older is better than any success than it newer… all recent stars in most sports are said to not be as good as their predecessors at the time of them playing… grimes was/is a superstar at UH…in 20 years we will still be mentioning grimes name in UH circles…in which many will be saying that our 2040 stars arent as good as grimes

We are talking about college super stars and how they perform on the collegiate level. Draft pick and what they do after college have nothing to do with it. Guys like Frank Mason, Luka Garza, Jonathan Montley, Jalen Brunson are all college superstars and non got drafted high or even first round. So using draft pick to say someone is a college superstar isn’t a good reason.

2 Likes

no offense to that 2nd team but that 1st team is killing them…2nd team has 1 ball handler, no shooters … im not sure that is even a close game… roberts, powell and carlton all together wouldnt work

it has to be shead, ramon taze, roberts carlton …honestly shead, ramon, robbie, taze and carlton is probabaly the team most likely set up to have a competitive game (not talking depth chart, just who can complete against that 1st team)…but probably shouldn’t put that much faith in freshman before seeing them against college competition

So let me get this straight. A top 15 player in all of college basketball this year, is not considered a superstar? And your reasoning behind that is that you can name 10 players who didn’t play this year, that are better :joy::joy:??? You do understand you have to base superstars on who is around them and who they are playing against, players from decades ago have no affect on who is a superstar NOW. I don’t even know how you came up with that logic lol

Lol I never tried to belittle Grimes or his role in our final four run. And I have no problem with you guys calling a superstar if you want.
But some of you guys have a different view of what a superstar is.
Not going to argue anymore. He’s a great Coog and I am glad he left Kansas and played here.

That’s a silly argument. Guys that have to be drafted number 1 or two overall.

Luka Garza was the POY. Best player in all of college basketball. I

I don’t even know where he is showing up on draft boards. Will be lucky to sneak into the first round.

Our 2nd team has some serious clamps lol, but yeah that offensive game would be a struggle. Unless Shead has really improved on that jumper, which from all the vids I have seen he’s shooting it really confidently. Shead Walker Taze Roberts Carlton would be they best bet in my opinion to compete. Maybe Taze doesn’t take too far of a dip in his shooting from last year. But we are so spoiled because that is one hell of a bench unit, they will toughen our starters up a lot. Not many teams we will face will be as good as that beach unit on defense.

Since we’re all weighing in on this id like to cast my vote for the pro Grimes side. Big shot Q was the best player on the #6 team in the country last year. Thats pretty super in my books.

Logo Q!!!

1 Like

doubtless you are correct - but what the hey - it is still on July - but I envision the Sampson the Younger team setting Roberts at the high post - and then finding an entry to Carlton - as we know, here comes the monster. But Kellen knows that also - so the Ritz will be able to find our man Powell - who will have his 15 foot dagger down - if the rotation comes - woops - whip it out to Moore and here come the rain from 3.

Obviously - I am just speculating wildly - but my guys may be too big for you little fellas - :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is my take, you are free to disagree, not going at you or anything… we are all free to have differing opinions

but i think you are punishing grimes for not being “showtime”… you can’t list off what grimes did here and not think he wasnt a super star… grimes just did it in a boring way, shooting 3s…baring a few moments (like the 2 or 3 insanely long 3s) isnt that exciting… grimes exact same stats but add 3 showtime dunks/blocks a game i think youd see him differently

18pts per (comfortably the teams leading scorer)
top 5 nationally in made 3s a game,
shooting at over 40% from 3
2nd best defensive player on an elite defensive team
2nd best rebounder on an elite rebounding team
lead houston to a top 3 national ranking
lead houston to a conference tournament championship
lead houston to its first final 4 in 40 years…most of D1 have never been a final 4 once
Conference player of the year
All-American
top 10 finalist for National Player of the Year

You cant look at that and not think Superstar (whats on paper)… he game on film just wasnt showtime

Change of subject but I wonder if Sampson will look to play Powell at the 4 at all. He did last year in limited time. Powell has gained 20 pounds from last year and he has the skill to play 4, question would be if he can get the defensive assignments down. I think Powell’s best bet of playing is beating Roberts would for time at the 4. He is only listed as a C now and not a F/C so idk that matters, would love to see more of him this year, just don’t see how he gets playing time with Carlton and Chaney

Got to think Powell will continue to improve in many areas. He has size, quickness and decent leaping ability.
With him gaining strength we know he already has a decent outside shot.
If he continues to improve he could be special on down the line.
Hoping he has the patience to wait his turn

Grimes is a star, not a super star. Grimes made his mark at UH and is beloved by Coogs and will always. But he’s not a super star.
Super stars are Jordan, Wilt, Walton, Maravich, Dream, Elvin Hayes, Bird, Erving, etc.
Unless you want to come up with a new description: super super star. And then Grimes could fall in the category of super star.

6 Likes

you listed a bunch of “generational” players… if that list is the bar, thats an insane bar that maybe only zion williamson and jj reddick have reached in the college level since (talking college production) …

i hthink its you guys that that have an unrealistically high bar for "superstar "…

2 Likes

First of all I think some of you care too much about this language and the definition of what a superstar is. So saying that, I’ll chime in with my thoughts. I think Grimes had superstar moments. We were lucky to have Grimes and he is certainly an all-star player. There’s two ways of looking at this. One, college game isn’t the same as it was 30-40 years ago or more. You don’t have those level superstars in college basketball anymore. When it comes to the center position you don’t even have NBA players that can compare with the superstars of the previous eras of college basketball… Second thought is that all the top players just inherently get the title of being a so-called superstar or there really aren’t many superstar caliber players at the college level anymore.

Uhhhhh………

At the college level, if you are an All-American, and lead your team to a Final Four (you know, like Elvin, Hakeem, Clyde, and GRIMES), then you are a super star.

And that’s the bottom line…….

Because Stone Cold said so!

4 Likes

I don’t think these guys understand the magnitude of being an All American, it’s like winning an Oscar lol, the number of players in college, to be considered a top 15 player in the nation, That’s automatically puts you as a superstar. This isn’t the nba where there are only 30 teams. There are thousands of players in D1 college basketball, to say someone who’s top 15 isn’t a superstar Is wild. Not to mention he lead his team to the final four, that just ends the debate right there. But everyone is so focused on draft pick, or NBA careers, or nostalgia.

I keep telling people this. Lol

Look at them likes on this comment, people :eyes: