2021-2022 UH Basketball Roster

It all depends on how you differentiate super stars from stars. To me, a college super star would be a guy virtually everyone in the sport knew about most of his career – a guy like Akeem, Zion Williams, Elvin Hayes. Grimes was a 3rd team All American, to me a super star would be maybe one or two first team All Americans.

Grimes was a star for sure, but super star? I don’t think so.

4 Likes

I guess it’s a good thing we don’t have any super fans. Because if we did, they might want to come on here and tell the rest of us how to properly differentiate/define a super fan or a super star or whatever

davion mitchell was also a 3rd team all-american …he had less all american votes than grimes

are we going to say he wasnt a superstar for baylor

https://twitter.com/ahsicem365/status/1411438917425958912

ive said this earlier i think their is some recent bias, we only remember the great part of players of older generations (not their weaknesses), while seeing the full picture of current players… when grimes eventually goes into that older generation, and our fans realize how insanely difficult it is to make final 4 (After missing on it a few years)… i think he will be appreciated more

1 Like

Also instead of dragging out a semantic argument

I think there are 2 sides to this

Some label superstar as

1. generational type talent, the type we only see once every 5-6 years in all college basketball, and once every 50 years on a team by team basis

2. the side I’m on… a all-american type big time player that can put his team in the conversation for the national title, (there a handful every year: suggs, Garza, Grimes, Ayo dosumo etc…)

Neither side is wrong, just different bars

Could have the makings of a bad joke here…a Houston Cougar & a Memphis Tiger walk into a bar…the bartender asks them what’ll it be? First guy says I’ll have a Lone Star (ie: his super star) while the next guy says I’ll have a Copper Penny (ie; his super coach). So who was right?..no wait, who’s on first…

I fall in group 1, you fall in group 2. like I said in my post above, “It all depends on how you differentiate super stars from stars.”

1 Like

So you seriously don’t think Luka Garza was a super star in college basketball last year? Because he does not fall in category 1

Whether or not I do is not the question. If you do, to you he is, and you should be happy about it. Would he be inducted into the college basketball hall of fame as soon as eligible? Right now, he is projected to be a second round draft choice. Super stars are lottery picks – top lottery picks. I rest my case.

1 Like

What in the world does draft pick have to do with being a COLLEGE superstar :joy::joy:. Look I respect your opinion if you just have unreachable standards for a superstar, but your logic is so flawed. You said “rest my case” as if you said something logical. Jalen Johnson had a way worse year than grimes and he’s projected in the lottery. Draft pick has nothing to do with being a college superstar. Luka Garza won POTY and you are literally saying he’s not a superstar? How is the best player in all of college basketball not a superstar lol . Your logic is just so off, I don’t think you understand we are debating college super star, so draft pick and what they do after college have no affect on the debate.

1 Like

Why the hell does it bother people when someone does not believe the same as they do. The same culture in the USA Today is for people to get offensive and attack if anyone does not bend over to their believes. Then to cancel or diminish or try to hurt them in every way to fall into their way of thinking. It has become sad. Everyone should have the right to believe what they believe. You have the right to disagree but do it without hate and trying to destroy them for what they believe.

3 Likes

Nobody is trying to destroy anyone in this thread. We just having a debate lol

luka garza this years national player of the year, already has his number retired at iowa, isnt projected to be drafted
myles powell voted the best guard in 2020, went undrafted
jalen brunson 2019 national player of hte year, went in the 2nd round
frank mason 2018 national player of the year, went in the 2nd round

2021 favorite for player of the year drew timme is coming back to college becuase he was projected late 2nd round or undrafted

you are essentially just punishing grimes and listed players above for being older players…

2 Likes

And draft pick literally doesn’t matter. That’s based on what they think you are going to do after college. Not what you did in college. Idk why anyone would use that as a reason to call someone a college superstar

3 Likes

And then those same people attack the Capital. Joe, I thought you were selling your business and moving to another country or something like that?

That being said, these threads are pretty inane. But have at it . . . .

1 Like

You say tomato…

I say tomato…

Lol but wait, political garbage isn’t allowed here!

So why was the political crap brought to this thread?
No need for specific political events on here,
What Joe said is what I hope everyone is striving for to have civility in our disagreements.

1 Like

Went from discussing All-Americans to cancel culture and the Capitol riot. All within the same thread. Impressive.

3 Likes