2021 Season is Over

Cougars finish 19-34 overall, 7-21 in Conference and 0-2 in the Conference Tournament. End the season on a 7 game losing streak, scoring just 7 runs of offense in the final 6 games. 3 of those 7 runs came in the final inning of the last game. Final RPI is 231. Record against top 100 teams was 4-25 or a .137 winning percentage.

64% of the season wins come against TX State (RPI 226), TX Southern (RPI 289), TX A&M Corpus (RPI 179), Memphis (RPI 216) and Inc. Word (RPI 232). Best win of the season was a 3-2 win over Texas in 11 innings.

Coogs had one batter hit above .300 (Bielamowicz) and Hernandez had a nice year (.287 11HR). On the mound Gasser and Cherry turned in fine performances. Cougars made 59 fielding errors compared to 37 by their opponents and pitchers walked and hit 287 batters compared to 204 by opponents.

The season is almost identical to Whitting’s second season in 2012 where the Coogs finished 18-35-1, 5-18-1 in CUSA.

Good luck to the Seniors.

6 Likes

You can only pile on so much.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that message be more aptly posted to the football board? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

why was Cherry not used as a hitter this year? he’s arguably the best baseball recruit the coogs have had in the last 10 years, great hitter and pitcher

3 Likes

Yes, I guess it could. :thinking::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Which thread in Football should I post it on. Too many to choose from. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes Sir, kid has been a stud since 8U. IIRC think I read/heard something to effect wanted him to concentrate on pitching this year.

1 Like

Fire. Rooney.

2 Likes

Our pitchers out shined our hitters although that isn’t saying much

2 Likes

I watched us lose many games this year literally by walking batters around the bases. No excuse not to throw strikes.

5 Likes

He batted .167. I think he’s a much more effective pitcher. Although the 4 straight walks in the Friday night UT game killed us.

1 Like

That’s no excuse for our hitting woes! This is the worst Coog baseball team in my memory

4 Likes

Hard to base much off a 12AB season. I’d look at his numbers as a true Frosh in 2019 as a better indicator of his potential at the plate

2 Likes

2019 batted .292 with 120 AB.
2020 & 2021 combined: .171 with 41 AB.

I feel bad for these seniors. Especially Sean Bretz. Kid pitched great in 2019. Drafted in the 15th round but took a pass because the coaches convinced him to return. Arm injury, then gets kicked off the team a week before this season ended. Unreal. I feel bad for all of the seniors, but that one really stings.

5 Likes

Why was he kicked off. Unaware this happened.

1 Like

Both him and Andy Belcik. Not sure why. Probably got too vocal about their frustrations. Another pitcher got kicked from the team a few weeks before that because he accidentally hit two batters in a scrimmage.

2 Likes

What a mess.

2 Likes

Hard to recruit local talent when you’re running the organization like this. Word travels at the speed of light these days…

1 Like

Never trust your current coach on matters involving your future coach.

2 Likes

HEY! Don’t be so pessimistic! The RPI’s aren’t final until the last out is made in Omaha! If the only good team we played all season, David Pierce’s team, has a good run, we could finish in the top 220!!

4 Likes