2021 Transfer Portal

Then don’t expect loyalty from all your players. It is a business. If coach wants to bring in portal players I am fine with it because he is the one who has to put all the pieces to the winning puzzle. But what I am saying you have to be careful because some of the younger guys might feel slighted. I trust coach on this one…

2 Likes

I can see more player’s like Cedric Alley who lose their place in rotation looking or having to transfer. It’s imo that as CKS program gets more n more pub everything just goes up a notch. Including the player’s who want to come or are being recruited for the program. I don’t like/want to mention player’s names but those currently on roster n in the Coaching staff’s mind they prob won’t be part of 8-9 man rotation next year, there will be some tough convos take place.

1 Like

Sampson was talking about the trust he has with his players. He is a straight shooter. He will tell them where their deficiency’s are and what they need to do to get better to to play ( for him ). Every HC is different. We know to play for Sampson you must play hard, play defense, and rebound. Sampson’s job is not to coddle to the players already here. His job is to get the best players he can to build a winning team. It is up to the player to work hard and get into the rotation. NO HC with open ships would bring in lesser players so they don’t upset a younger less talented player already here. Coach also owes it to his upper class players like Fabian to put the best team he can around them to give them a chance to go far. This is the real world.

As a fan base we have to act like a blue blood basketball program. Some young men will leave for whatever reason. Sampson will get players. BTW the contract extension announcement yesterday was for recruiting purposes. This is a big off season with perhaps the . most bizarre circumstances we will ever see given immediate eligibility and the amount of great players with multiple years left. We can’t allow others to take advantage while we sit by. You never know what happens with a player. See Mills. We have to be prepared and now these young men know that Sampson will be here. The circumstances around Sampson’ and his contract hurt our spring recruiting the last couple of years. Great job of Coach and the AD for taking that out of the equation this spring.

4 Likes

Sampson signed a six year extension in April of '19.

So his contract status did not hurt recruiting last spring.

1 Like

Yes, I just reread the posters last couple of sentences. Not sure what he is referring to there. They just added another 2 yrs to the one that he had already signed. Just shows continuity for program still on the Rise. #GoCoogs

I do agree with you that he doesn’t need to “coddle” any of his players. His job (along with his staff) is to bring in the best talent they can find.

Than it’s all about competing with your teammates for playing time. The cream always rises to the top. I want kids who WANT to be here. I understand a kid seeing the writing on the wall (after a frank discussion with Sampson) that they may not be getting the playing time they want. So maybe it might be in their best interest to transfer.

It’s a dog eat dog world and NOBODY is just going to be handed something (especially in Sampson’s program). You better be willing to come in here and bust @$$ and not be afraid of new talent coming in.

I trust Sampson in every area of his program. He’s earned that from anyone who has a vested interest in his program (administration, players, players families, students, alums and fans).

3 Likes

Yes before last season we had two years in a row after the season where Sampson had the Florida NBA team then Arkansas situation cast a shadow over spring recruiting time. This year they have taken any pretense of that out of play.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1369760071778004992

6-3 G from Sulphur Springs, TX

1 Like

Wow! Averaged almost 19/game and was only good for 2nd team? Does he not play any defense?

They can average 30 pts. If someone doesn’t play defense he won’t play for CKS. He benched Rob Gray.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1370422701219844101

6-3 G from Silsbee

I don’t think Adams is even as good as Tyson

1 Like

Is the Southland conference any good though?

Its top heavy like the AAC w/the bottom pretty bad.

2 Likes

Until Tyson can dribble and create his own shot idk. I’m not sure the staff would pursue Adams but he had a really good freshman year.

With Grimes and Jarreau leaving and Mills transferring, we have a need for a guard in addition to Tyson. Based on Tyson’s ability to shoot, I think he should get more playing time next year to develop the guard skills you mention. We will have Sasser, Mark, and ? If we play a similar guard heavy lineup.

1 Like

Don’t forget Shead and he is a pure point guard. I think we bring in another guard to help…not giving up on Tyson but time is running short for him…

Tyson created his own shot at Idaho, albeit against slow lesser athletes

Sasser, Mark, and Shead will all play a lot. I suspect we’ll see a pretty decent amount of Ramon Walker too, as he seems to be a strong shooter, good rebounder, and has a college-ready body. Big question is if he can pick up our team defensive concepts quickly. I think we’ll see a good bit of Tyson as well with less competition in the backcourt, barring a high profile transfer.

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s not the Tyson we have seen so far. Hopefully he will be able to show that next year.

1 Like