2022-23 Track & Field Thread

He was recruiting a sprinter at Ridge Point

1 Like

Cougars win seven events in season opener.

2 Likes

Houston Invitational going on right now. There is a livestream available. The announcer is trying too hard, lol.

https://live.flashresultstexas.com/meets/19103/scoreboard

1 Like

Big time results from De’Vion Wilson. Puts him into position for Indoor championships. Sampy consistent as usual, he is also in qualifying position currently. Good to see Shaun put up a fast 60m time, he is looking better than last year’s indoors at this point. A result not mentioned in the article which is a great sign, freshman Aaron Bell finishes 3rd in the 200m and 6th in the 60m (he won the 60m a week ago too).

3 Likes

More schools records!

2 Likes

Anyone hear anything about recruiting and signings for the track team? Usually get a press release in Nov or early Dec. and later a spring release in about May. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t see any info about the 2023 class.
Any info would be most appreciated.

1 Like

I was not asking about LAST year’s recruiting class! I was asking about this year’s class!
Last year’s football class was 2022-2023 for incoming players for the year 22-23 like WR Mathew Golden. This year’s recruiting class is for incoming players for the years 2023 -2024 like WR Jonah Wilson. I was asking about this year’s recruiting class for track and field for incoming track signees for the incoming year 2023-2024!!!

Thank you.

Matthew Golden first year just like every body on that track list. There it’s no such list for runners still in high school. Too early.

Your welcome

Day One of our final AAC Indoor Meet is complete.

Live results: http://bit.ly/3Eut0tI
Watch on ESPN+: http://es.pn/3Z5nHZE

1 Like

I can’t understand why we can’t recruit top local kids in track.
We normally recruit Ft Bend Marshall good but I noticed their star hurdler Davis is going to Agy.
He has the top time in the nation currently.

1 Like

Wow. Cincy took men’s T&F with Coogs 2nd. Coog women finished 3rd. Those were surprises.

1 Like

Yep a little stunned too. Hopefully things get better

1 Like

The men’s team did not get enough pts from the sprints. The sprinter from South Africa Shaun Maswanganyi won the 60m and 200m but did not get much help in terms of depth in sprints. None of the TJ’s were able to get over 50ft.
The women did better this year than last year( they finished 4th in 2022). The women were able to get wins in the 800m, SP, Weight throw and 4X400 m relay 
 (C Florida) rested a couple of their sprinters in the relay.

Next year is going to be much tougher! Apparently the Big 12 and SE conferences are the top 2 conferences for track in the country! A couple of examples: Big 12 top times in the women’s 60m 7.15 and 200m 22.62. TCU and Baylor have gone down but Tex and Tex Tech are national powers. The Red Raiders strength in sprints is very recent!
UH recruiting is going to have move up. Hopefully being in the Big 12 will help with recruiting and getting transfers from portals. Last year was probably affected by coach Burrell going to Alabama.
Finding info about T&F recruits for UH is not easy. According to Mile-Split UH has signed 3 H.S. seniors.
bigmccoog may be interested to know that UH has signed at least 3 H.S. seniors both from the Houston area(not from the city itself).
Michael Archie distance runner Humble Atascocita HS
Kimble Paris throws " "
Patrick Flowers distance runner Liberty TX
Kimble Paris was apparently highly recruited since she has one of the top marks in the SP in Tex.

1 Like

UH sending five to the National Indoor Championships on Friday & Saturday.

2 Likes

Honest question to the track guys. Did our recruiting take a huge step back when Burrell moved to Auburn?
Maybe my expectations/hope were too high when we were highly ranked in previous years

1 Like

Yes. Coach Lewis seems completely disinterested in pumping up anyone but himself in his tweets. Recruiting looks mediocre at best as compared to CLB. Not a word of congrats to any of the AAC winners or those in the nationals in social media that I can find. Hoping I am way off base.

1 Like

I think maybe many thought we would be hauling in elite athletes because of who Carl is
but I am just curious if he actually gets out and does any heavy recruiting. A lot of these kids today don’t know Carl Lewis, or how great he once was.

2 Likes