2022 Bracketology

:joy: How did I forget to put that one in?!!!

2/18/22

Kenpom: 6

Torvik: 2

Sagarin: 10

KPI: 19

BPI: 3

NET: 4

Quad 1: 0-3

Quad 2: 6-1

Quad 3: 8-0

Quad 4: 7-0

Thanks for posting, @UHGrad2019. Frankly, with those computer rankings, I don’t see how UH can be left out of the Top 16 reveal tomorrow- unless the committee is intellectually dishonest.

I get the probable argument that our Quad 1 record is currently bad. However, if you take everything into consideration, UH should be in the top 16, no question.

2 Likes

Some things on the fringe regarding Q1…… could wind up better than it is now.

ESPN Bracketology has a us a 5 seed. Feels low given the metrics, but feels right given the schedule.

1 Like

What about our record and performance says we should be in top 16? Completely remove the metrics and just look at the body of work. My guess is we will be just outside.

3 Likes

Why would you remove the metrics? Metrics are definitely used in the selection process.

If you completely remove the metrics, then it becomes very subjective. Metrics have a definite part in the process, otherwise they wouldn’t be as popular as they are, and as quoted as much as they are.

1 Like

They are used definitely, but I don’t know what extent. I’m hoping for a 4 seed, but my gut says 5 is more likely.

In this ESPN bracket we bumped Baylor to #3 and took #2, sweet!

Name 16 better teams and why

We’ve lost 4 games by a total of 5 points to teams in the NET top 50, with only 1 of those games st home. Last season we lost 3 games to teams at 70,138, and 175. The combined NETs of our 4 losses this season is less than Tulsa and ECU individually

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/TheFieldOf68/status/1494820423095181317?s=20&t=rmwQK76X-bQM8DuhW-HDcg

Four and Five seeds play 13 and 12 seeds…… not much difference in 13 and 12….seems like the bigger separation in quality of teams happens when you get into the 14 and 15’s……hence, unless we get back to a 3 seed it’s not a big deal who we play.

1 Like

True and look at Illinois with a fourth seed. They have seven losses and got blow out by Cinci, Maryland and Rutgers. We have no respect.

2 Likes

That’s a 13-spot negative variance from the latest NET. That’s huge. Being on the same line as LSU is a joke, as is UT ahead of us a 4th seed, given they have 7 losses and the softness of their OOC schedule

3 Likes

Also 4/5s always seem to get sent out west so the only real difference is whether we wear red or white for the R32 should we advance

1 Like

We’re the first 5th seed. So very close to being a 4 seed. If Texas loses tomorrow, we probably jump back to the 4 seed line.

NET is one of the metrics they look at. Record against Quad 1 teams is also a factor.

Virginia, Oregon, Oklahoma St, have done us no favors

4 Likes

Oregon has underperformed to a much bigger extent than Virginia or Oklahoma State all things considered

Latest projections so far from the big networks

1 Like

Last 5 games:

@Wichita State- Q2 w/ a potential to be a Q1 if WSU finishes the season on a good note

@Tulane- Q2

SMU- Q2

Cincinnati- Q3

Temple- Q3

@ Memphis- Q1

1 Like

There is clearly a huge disconnect between the computer rankings and people rankings…we’ll see what happens on Selection Sunday.

1 Like