2023-2024 UH Track and Field

The indoor season will begin on Jan. 12 when Houston hosts the Leonard Hilton Memorial Invitational Jan. 12. The Cougars will make their first trip of the season on Jan. 20 at the Ted Nelson Invitational in College Station, Texas.

3 Likes

Robert Platt Invitational concluded yesterday:

Last week was the first week of USTFCCCA rankings, UH men were #42 and a bottom half team in Big 12. We’ll see how that changes as the season progresses. To me the minimum should be a Top 25 program, and ideally challenging for Conference Championships. Big 12 champs would be contending for National Championships as well.

1 Like

Good jump for the men in this week’s rankings. Up 10 spots to #32.

1 Like

Can we finish in top 4 or 5 in Big 12? Where’s my track expert?

I’m not a track expert but will say yes to your question, talking men’s track. Lewis brought in some top transfers, sprinters such as Davonte Burnett - USC, Louie Hinchliffe - WSU. Also several outstanding freshmen sprinters. Burnett’s best times 9.9 100m, 20.2 200m. Hinchliffe 10.1 100m. Also brought in several good jumpers (high, long & triple). A discus guy who could score points and an interesting decathlon Rice guy. Wait until outdoors to get a clear picture.

2 Likes

I’ve skimmed the results of our indoor meets, and going from memory I don’t think those transfer sprinters have been running indoors. I believe indoor and outdoor track are considered separate sports, so is that an eligibility issue or just saving the legs?

Also, according to UH website, the Rice transfer heptathlete put up the #1 score in the nation, set a UH record, and is ranked #2 in the world right now in heptathlon. Is that as impressive as it sounds, or is it just early in the season?

Either way, the multi’s are events that I don’t recall it’s ever scoring points in. Nice to see a more well rounded team for the Nationals.

1 Like

Women’s track team need to earn their keeps. Start producing and avoid off the track temptations.

EDIT: Big 12 rankings, Week 3, Coogs move up a few spots to #29:

2 Likes

Good weekend for the Coogs.

3 Likes

Women’s track is going to make a name for themselves this season. Very proud of their progress. Carl Lewis imprint is starting to show. For he is all about technique over time. Time will come with efficiency. They are gradually getting stronger.Looking for both team groups to be ranked top 25

3 Likes

The Men are now #24. Steadily climbing throughout the season.

The Women dropped big time this week, to the bottom of the Big 12. Looks like last week they were middle of the Big 12. Not close to Top 25 right now, at least in Indoor.

Looking forward to continued improvements as the Coaches build the program. I also wouldn’t mind Coach Burrell coming home when he’s ready. :wink:

1 Like

Carl does not seem to care about rankings as much as improvement. I listened to him preach about peaking at the right time. And I’m really focused on the women side. Men side always seem to do well. The women’s group is going to do better outdoor based on development. Most rarely improved over the years. This year they are hitting personal best every week. Just not good enough yet. But Carl is thinking long term instead of short gain. Plus every body is not fully participating as well. Many factors. The rankings will drastically change once outdoors come. They dropped 23 spots because of coach priorities of a long track season.

6 Likes

I appreciate the insight. I enjoy watching track and field, but I’m not fully aware of all the “strategy” that goes into it. There are so many factors, between indoor and outdoor season, injuries, making sure you don’t over-train, peaking at the right time, plus just sheer God-given ability. That’s a tough job.

Anyhow, it’s fun to watch, especially once we get to outdoor season.

2 Likes

Coogs men performance at the Big 12 meet pushed them up 15 spots to a #10 ranking:

Coogs sending 4 men in five events to the NCAA Indoor Championships next week:

Maswanganyi - 60m & 200m
Wilson - 60m Hurdles
Sampye - PV
Levesque - Heptathlon

The UH women jumped up 44 slots to #29.

Four Women going to Nationals in two events: Kelly Ann Beckford in 800m, plus our 4*400m relay team.

Looks like Coach had these teams peaking at the right time.

6 Likes

Everyone see this?

https://twitter.com/UHCougarTF/status/1774131349571371385

7 Likes

It’s early (Week 2) but Coogs M&W T&F teams are positioned well.

Women #27 (up from #36 last week)

Men #30 (down from #12 last week)

Seems there were a lot of teams that just started last week, which bumped us down in the Men’s category. Definitely some highlights from the Texas Relays though.

2 Likes

Women #25, right in the middle of the Big 12.

Men #33, which puts us also in the middle of the Big 12.

1 Like

I think Coogs will do better than middle of the pack. Like you said, they are well positioned. Coach does a great job of getting them to peak at the proper time.

2 Likes

Penn Relays:

UH men just missed out on winning 4*100 Championship of America for third year in a row. Edged out by USF by 0.01 sec.

Hinchcliffe and Maswanganyi take 1st and 2nd in 100m

DeVion Wilson wins the 110m Hurdles

Women win the 4*400 Championship of America relay.