2023 MLB Draft

MLB Draft Tracker | MLB.com

8 Coogs listed as draft eligible: Anthony Tulimero, Dylan Post, Graysen Drezek, Jacob Schoenvogel, Josh Ekness, Kyle LaCalameto, Travis Phelps, & Zach Arnold.
15 JR/SR/GR aren’t listed, including Justin Murray.
Commits Nehomar Ochoa & Tristan Russell are also listed.
None are top 250 prospects.

2 Likes

ESPN
133. Nehomar Ochoa (17.9), CF, Galena Park HS (TX), Houston commit

Combo of young for class with plus arm, speed and raw power; has been wowing in workouts

Top Baseball Draft Prospects | MLB.com

The Astros take Ochoa in the 11th round.
A Coog is finally selected. Ekness is picked by Miami in the 12th.
Zach Arnold to Philly in the 15th.

Also Craig Yoho was selected. He was here, got injured, transferred to Indiana. Pitched at Indiana this year. I believe he entered the portal and committed to Arkansas this summer. But yeah he was drafted so quasi-UH draft pick I guess LOL

Didn’t even make the field here right?

Don’t think so. Not 100% sure. Got injured as a freshman I believe.

We’ve had a few of those over the years, most notably Daniel Ponce de Leon.

1 Like

Ponce de Leon had a productive year as an SP and was poised to have even more success in 2014. He didn’t want to transfer for his senior season.

But there was some problem with his D1 eligibility. I can’t remember the details, but I think I remember something like he signed with an agent in anticipation of getting drafted and signing, but then changing his mind (or not getting drafted), but I’m not sure. Something happened that caused him to exhaust his D1 eligibility.

He started at Arizona, then went to Cypress CC, then to UH, the Emory-Riddle.

He couldn’t get on the field at Indiana either, so he switched to pitcher.

Ponce was drafted out of UH in 2013. I think what happened was he signed with the Cubs but didn’t pass his physical. Because he had signed, he couldn’t go back to D1, so he played his final year at Embry and was drafted in 2014 by St Louis.

Correction (from Wikipedia): …drafted by the Chicago Cubs and the two parties had reached a deal. However, he failed his physical due to concerns about nerve placement in his elbow and did not sign. Ponce de Leon planned to return to Houston, but the NCAA ruled that he was ineligible to return.

That’s it. Thanks.

And got selected in the 8th round……smart move.

1 Like

Clearly worked out well for him to move to P

3 Likes

When I read this day 3 draft night = all she wrote for UH.

"“We are incredibly impressed with the physical abilities of Ochoa,” Astros scouting director Kris Gross said. “He runs. He’s got a big arm in the outfield. He came to our workout and showed huge power. He dominated in the spring. The total package jumps off the page. We’re excited to keep another local boy here in Houston.”

Paywall
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/houston-astros-day-3-mlb-draft-dana-brown-18195742.php

1 Like

When was the last time we had a high school commit get drafted and not make it to campus?

1 Like

I’m on heavy meds….Sampson will know.

And nothing against those two Duarte mentioned but they are not in the same class as Ochoa.

I wonder if Ochoa would have made the same decision if it wasn’t the Astros that drafted him?

At least it was the Astros, be cool if he succeeded for them.

1 Like

Last season Samuel Hernandez - C from FL.
Toronto in the 14th.
Think I saw him play Single A for Dunedin, FL.

'Stros list as they sign.

1 Like