23-24 UH Football Season

Lol what is she supposed to say?

CDH smuggling raisins

2 Likes

Until they finish a season ranked (which they’ve never done), they won’t start a season ranked

This early projection has them at #22:

1 Like

#s 23 22 16 12 on the schedule. Feels good man.

2 Likes

#18 too.

Truth.

1 Like

From January
 can you at least use one after Spring ball?

Nope
January it is.

1 Like

Based on the excitement of last years game. UTSA could be an instant rival. Big school, loud fan base and good football program, better than Rice or UNT. Plus a fun city, last years game was a blast.

7 Likes

If we’re going to be P5, I’d prefer our rival be P5

6 Likes

We can have more than one rival

5 Likes

Lots of variety in the polls.

Personally, I’m thinking 7 wins with probably a 2 game margin of error.

Current Prediction:
Sept. 2 UTSA W
Sept. 9 at Rice W
Sept. 16 TCU L
Sept. 23 Sam Houston W
Sept. 30 at Texas Tech W
Oct. 7 IDLE
Oct. 12 West Virginia W
Oct. 21 Texas W (Bite me, the Texas L Horns need an ass kicking)
Oct. 28 at Kansas State L
Nov. 4 at Baylor L
Nov. 11 Cincinnati W
Nov. 18 Oklahoma State L
Nov. 25 at UCF L

Low Ball:
Sept. 2 UTSA L
Sept. 9 at Rice W
Sept. 16 TCU L
Sept. 23 Sam Houston W
Sept. 30 at Texas Tech L
Oct. 7 IDLE
Oct. 12 West Virginia W
Oct. 21 Texas W
Nov. 4 at Baylor L
Nov. 11 Cincinnati W
Nov. 18 Oklahoma State L
Nov. 25 at UCF L

High Ball:
Sept. 2 UTSA W
Sept. 9 at Rice W
Sept. 16 TCU W
Sept. 23 Sam Houston W
Sept. 30 at Texas Tech W
Oct. 7 IDLE
Oct. 12 West Virginia W
Oct. 21 Texas W
Nov. 4 at Baylor L
Nov. 11 Cincinnati W
Nov. 18 Oklahoma State L
Nov. 25 at UCF W

I have a feeling we’ll come out hot and kick in some teeth, but the wear and tear on our depth will show later in the season. While the transition to a P5 schedule (especially a top 10 schedule) is going to be difficult it won’t be as rigorous as the talking heads make it out to be.

While we do have talent at every position, so does the top half of the conference. What really matters right now is keeping the team healthy, having good depth, and probably the most important part overall
 coaching.

We all know Holgy teams tend to be offensive-minded, so we shouldn’t have much problem scoring points, especially with the wide receiver room we have now. Although, while we might have lost McCaskill (who was injured last year), our running back room still looks to be pretty good. Personally in my opinion most of the back backs we have now are better than McCaskill would of been, and it’s good that we have such talented depth in that group, but we all know the running game also comes down to scheme and offensive line play. I think the QB is the biggest question right now, but if Holgy can work the same magic he did with Tune, then we should be good or great in that position. The competition should be serious right now between Coley and Smith. I’ll get on the O-Line and Tight-End group later, but I kind of feel high on the O-Line squad we have along with the new coach.

Baring 2021 and parts of 2022 the defense has been either lackluster or downright bad. Will this year be like the 2021 season, or will we be lackluster again? This is all up to Belk. The D-Line looks to be good as usual, but that’s not the main problem. The secondary has been a nagging issue and was only fixed when we had a couple of high NFL draft picks on it (I know we had 2 people in the secondary drafted, so the scheme is also a problem). We have a lot of transfers coming in and I think 1 or 2 good transfers from last year who couldn’t play are able to play this year (Moses Alexander, and somebody else?). It looks like we have both experience and talent in the secondary positions, which a halfway decent coordinator should be able to put together a serviceable pass defense with. If the secondary plays well this year, then we should be able to win a good amount of games, but as in past years, it’s hard to predict how the secondary is going to act. Don’t really know to much about the linebacker group.

It’s shaping up to be one of the hardest schedules we’ve had since the SWC days. I feel confident that we’ll be bowl eligible, but a lot of that comes down to luck and coaching. Especially in the case of injuries, because depth is more important than ever; now that we’re in the big leagues.

Anyway, It’s time to show up and show out. We’ve been waiting to be back with the big boys since the 90’s, so let’s not pass up this opportunity we’ve made for ourselves. We can either be a program of perennial mediocrity or an eternal powerhouse that we constantly talk about the potential of being. I hope for the great success of this program and the university. As a forever Coog It’s good to be back in the big leagues!

6 Likes

As much as I hate to say it, I don’t see us beating UT

6 Likes

This is a complete guess on my part and some posters who know odds better than me please correct me, but if UT played UH this week, UT would be at least a two touchdown favorite.

The good news that I am sure about is UH does not play UT this week.

Anything over 6 wins next year will be impressive to me.

5 Likes

Nobody saw us beating UT in 1987 when we were 1-6 going into the game against the whorns, with our only win being against Sam Houston 38-34. Yet we beat them 60-40 after being down by 3 TDs. Johnny Jackson had 3 pick sixes. We ended the season 4-6-1. The difference this fall is that we won’t have 6 losses when we beat them.

1 Like

SP+ would have it as UT -16 @ UH

Take away the special abilities carrying the ball for ut last season and they would have really struggled. They still lost games they should have won.