25 Games In

Cougars enter conference this weekend with a 12-13 overall records and RPI of 209. A list of each Texas School, their RPI and our 2023 record against that school.

14 Texas Will not play in 2023
39 UTSA 0-1 record
46 DBU Will not play in 2023
49 A&M 0-1 record
51 Tech Will not play in 2023
55 TCU Will not play in 2023
73 SHSU 0-1 record, 2 more games in 2023
78 Rice 3 games to be played in 2023
87 TXState Will not play in 2023
91 UT-A 1-1 record
128 SFA Will not play in 2023
134 Tarleton Will not play in 2023
149 Lamar 1 game to be played
197 Baylor Will not play in 2023
204 Inc. Word 0-1 record
209 Houston Cougars
221 Tx A&M CC 0-1 record
229 UTRGV 1-2 record
266 HCU 1 game to be played
289 Prairie View 1-0 record
293 Texas Southern 1-0 record in 2023

Currently 1-4 against top 100 RPI Texas Schools
Currently 0-0 against 101-200 RPI Texas Schools
Currently 3-4 against 201-300 RPI Texas Schools

2 Likes

Being 16th highest ranked school in your own state? We have a massive recruiting market and some of the nicer facilities in all of college baseball. These results are completely unacceptable. Change is needed…

18 Likes

4 Likes

We can’t hit.

2 Likes

We can’t pitch.

3 Likes

We’re in bad shape, but Baylor is surprisingly close to our number. What’s going on there?

Know many that hang here in Baseball forum played and coached. We all know there is no chance you make it to this level as a player or a coach and just suck…basic fundamentals, game management…etc…etc… This is just a textbook situation that for whatever reason it just isn’t working anymore and it’s not going to magically turn around. It’s time for wholesale change. I can’t imagine that the process hasn’t already been initiated. UH Baseball is a plum job, there’ll be no shortage of top flight candidates to take over and return Coog Baseball to where it belongs

9 Likes

One of the biggest issues is the lack of player development….

Back when I played basically every guy on the team was the stud at their HS, in their district. Etc.
I was the MVP of our city( El Paso) and first team all -state senior season……my freshman season in college I was probably the worst pitcher and middle of the pack hitter….By year three I was a weekend starter and everyday hitter at DH, SS or CF….Pitching coach had made it to AAA, taught me not just to change speeds but eye level….How to spot pitches….I knew where to throw pitches where to get a foul ball and where my out pitches were…In HS , when I pitched I hit two-three guys a game….my last two years of college combined I hit two guys total….Hitting coach did not mess with my swing but he taught me an entirely different mindset and approach….my last two years I drew more walks than i struckout……I have passed this on not just to my kid but everyone I coached.

Point is, to get to this level is not easy……but it’s a real shame when you get there and you don’t get any better at all….there are a ton of schools where player development is just garbage……lazy coaching.

The great coaches can take an incoming freshman and have him all-conference by their junior year….they fix flaws in their swings, fix footwork in fielding, work on mechanics for pitchers to maximize velo without sacrificing control, and make sure their arm motion is not going to damage their arms…
Tons of more things….but most coaches just go through the motions without getting their hands dirty….

And I won’t mention names but there are guys on this team that are not D-1 players much less Big 12 D-1….recruiting is not good despite what some tried to say in the off season.

This is a program that has gone down the crapper because the head coach is burned out….go back and listen to the preseason flat out lies….And the assistants are not good enough to overcome the talent gaps.

9 Likes

The pitching they added was coaching malpractice if they expected them to compete in the AAC.
These guys were mostly awful last year against any decent team even at a lower level.

These guys got shelled in 2022 at other schools & still get shelled now.

The line of propaganda about the improvement last season was LAUGHABLE vs the schedule & they clowned themselves as the bottom fell out.

Still @ 1000 fans per game is encouraging and basically a whole new pitching staff with new coaching next year makes sense.
Every B12 team will bring fans. It will be fun regardless.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Bad enough for mid-season change? Have interim for remainder?

2 Likes

I don’t see that happening, unless they think the next guy is already on staff.

Wichita State made an abrupt change right before the season and I think Akron did because their guy bolted for Marshall like right before the season at the last minute. But mid season changes don’t happen unless there’s a real funky development (abuse allegations that have some credibility, etc.).

If, say, Ross Kivett is the heir as new head coach then I suppose it’s possible. But to someone else’s point earlier, I think there would be real interest in the UH job considering the history and the facilities and the talent in the area, so I doubt any assistant on staff has done enough to garner true consideration to be the next head coach.

1 Like

It is but they won’t.

No way——it’s cleaning :broom: time.

1 Like

Other than ECU, there are no AAC teams currently ranked in the top 100 in the RPI’s. The only other top 100 teams remaining on our schedule are #80 Rice (3x) & #76 Sam (2x). That doesn’t give us much opportunity to improve on our #212 rank. Looks like we’re headed for another sub-200 final ranking. RPI-wise, we’d be 4th in the swac right now. It never should have gotten to this point.

2 Likes

We have gotten way worse with the construction of the amazing practice facilities.

Same with football

3 Likes

I guess football facilities can figure into interest from Big 12. Just thinking facilities ROI