2A Poll

Do you support age restrictions on new semi-auto purchases ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support restrictions on new gun magazines

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support confiscation of private guns ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do you support restrictions on ammo purchase ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Interesting results. Surprisingly, I was with the majority in every case. But I have one caveat, I believe a parent should be able to buy a semi-auto pistol or rifle for his child as long as said parent supervises the use of said weapon. I had a Beretta .25 semi-auto pistol when I was 12. My dad told me that after 30 minutes, I could disassemble and reassemble blindfolded, I could have it and I did.

Why would that be a useful skill?

It has no useful civilian skill; but my dad was a Marine and it’s something they had to be able to do. Dad often had me do Marine type physical training.

It would be more interesting if we had more coog voters. I think the last one on the football
board, who do you hate in the new B12, had 38 voters. This has a paltry 22 participants.
Should have stuck it over there , but somebody would probably flag it.

1 Like

I like how the number of votes goes down as you move down the list. One person gave up after one poll and someone else did three and said that was enough. Lol

Understand about Marines!

Semper Fi.

1 Like

I didn’t vote on restrictions on ammo purchases simply because I’m not really sure if that would be useful or not. I would limit the purchase of assault rifles that essentially aren’t much different from machine guns, so if those aren’t available I’m not sure a limit on ammo purchases would be necessary.

2 Likes

I voted against confiscation. But, I would support confiscation in selected cases, such as if the firearms are in the possession of a clearly disturbed individual, that has a high likelihood of harming self, family and/or the public.

1 Like

If we have restraining orders, why can’t we have red flag laws with due process?

This seems like low hanging fruit to me.

Raising the age for ARs to 21 seems like low hanging fruit.

3 Likes

Philadelphia and Chattanooga.

Now we are having them twice a day.

At what point do you realize you have a problem?

1 Like

What kind of guns were used in those two instances?

If some deranged person wants to do heinous acts of violence, lack of guns will not stop them. See the various bombings around the country.

Mike,
Todays guns and their presence everywhere in society make them the weapon of choice to inflict
deadly force. What bombings are you referring to that happen with the same frequency as guns in say last 3 or 4 weeks ?

2 Likes

I understand that, I merely point out that evil doers will do evil, regardless.

I think distinctions have to be made between mass shootings like Uvalde and gang related shootings aimed at particular gang targets or shootings as a result of criminal activities unrelated to lone wolf type killing sprees. Gangs will always have guns, large magazines, automatic weapons, etc. For some reason, we can’t seem to get control of gangs that openly flout the law.

I guarantee, if I had workable answers to all of our problems, I would be stating them, but I just don’t have any that I can think of. But, people on social media that receive warnings like sent out by the guy in Uvalde, need to start taking action and notifying the cops.

I think it is helpful to classify the types of shootings we have today.
Building on your types of shooting list:

• Mass shootings
  • Gang related
  • Other criminal related
  • Domestic violence
  • Crimes of passion
  • Accidental

Mass shootings seem to be in at least types

• Hate based
  • Revenge

If we had mass public shootings at the same frequency as bombings, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Bombings require a level of skill that many don’t have. They are also harder to pull off successfully.

It’s clear we have a gun violence problem in our country compared to other developed countries. The question is how to fix it. It’s also clear that we have far more guns than other countries. That correlation is hard to ignore.

1 Like

You have to break out mass shootings too. I think a mass shooting can be as few as 3-4. That’s a different ballgame from 20 and usually very different motives.

1 Like

I’d call it causation. The weapon is the difference, clearly.

Likely but I haven’t looked into it enough to know for sure.

1 Like

It’s a tough call. And I hate to say this, it’s too nuanced for extremists to understand. It’s like they haven’t given it much thought other than bumper stickers.

This is I know. Something is wrong.

1 Like