5+7 Playoff Format Confirmed

About damn time.

8 Likes

Five highest ranked conference champs, plus the next seven highest ranked teams.

4 Likes

Are we still using the term Power 5? That’s confusing since Pac12 has two (2) teams. Shouldn’t it be the Power 4 Champions?

1 Like

With Power 5, it was 6+6 to give one bid to the highest rated G5 champ.

Now at 5+7, it’s Power 4 plus highest rated G5 champ.

10 Likes

Highest ranked G5 champ

Edit: apologies didn’t see the post above

That guarantees a G5 champ in the CFP, at last some fairness.

4 Likes

AAC says they are the 5th power conference. :smiley:

I predict one of the two PAC teams will make the playoffs.

SEC winner
BIG winner
ACC Winner
Big 12 winner
top ranked G5
then 7 top ranked not in yet

SEC/BIG winners will very likely be highly ranked and maybe the ACC or Big 12 winner so the ‘next 7 ranked’ will likely be teams ranked 4-10 or something like that.

So here is my question, regarding the Big 12, how often will it be the case that a Big 12 team is ranked in the top 10 but NOT the Big 12 champion? I see it happening not every year and maybe every couple years. Big 12 will get one playoff team more years than not which in a 16 team conference is not really that ideal for our chance to actually play for a natty or at least upset the blue bloods. Of course I guess 1/16 is better than 1/70 or whatever the G5 odds are.

I expect basically 9 of the 12 to be from the BIG/SEC more years than not. Been saying that for a while. ACC and/or Big12 could sneak a second team in from time to time. In no scenario do BIG/SEC ever end up with less than 7 in the playoff.

With BIG having about 8 ‘top teams’ and SEC having say 10 ‘top teams’ 9 of the playoff spots will basically be reserved for those 18 teams and the rest of the teams in D1 will be scrounging for scraps. It is what it is.

Just looking at AP post season rankings for the last 10 years (I know this isn’t a perfect data set to use on who would be in the playoffs but it is a good estimate) the number of teams in the playoff from the SEC and ‘new BIG’ are:

2023: 10/12
2022: 8/12 (TCU/Utah from ‘new’ Big 12)
2021: 7/12 (Cincy/Baylor/OSU/Utah)
2020: 7/12 (Cincy/ISU/BYU)
2019: 11/12
2018: 8/12
2017: 8/12 (UCF/TCU)
2016: 8/12
2015: 8/12 (TCU/Houston)
2014: 8/12 (TCU/Baylor/ASU)

Summary:

• average 8.3 (new) BIG/SEC teams ranked top 12 post season
  • 5 of 10 years ‘new’ Big 12 schools had more than 1 team ranked in top 12
  • 20 top 12 ranked teams in 10 years in the ‘new’ Big 12. Which averages out to 2 a year so mayyybe an average of 2 teams is somewhat realistic but there will be NO DOUBT years where only 1 Big 12 team gets in plus an occasional ‘great year’ with 3-4 teams getting in.
2 Likes

9 of 12?

Uhhhh
hold on.

5 of 12 are for conference champs, only ONE of each of those will be SEC and B1G.

For those two conferences to get NINE teams in
ALL SEVEN at larges would have to be P2.

I do NOT see that happening.

The more good teams you add to a conference, the more they play each other, beat each other, “cannibalize” each other’s won-loss records, and ruin each other’s playoff hopes.

I think each P2 will get about three teams in with perhaps one getting four teams in a really exceptional year.

Don’t assume that because the P2s added teams that would have made it this year
those same teams will qualify next year.

The Big 12 will usually get two teams in.

2 Likes

Paul Finebaum Predicts One Conference Will Have Three Teams In 2024 CFP (msn.com)

That’s probably a good guess. I imagine that the B1G will have three teams in as well.

Probably 6 of 12 to the P2
NOT 9 of 12.

1 Like

I agree.

The doom and gloom is over the top

P2 isn’t getting 9 in

2 Likes

Wow. This is really happening

Explore excited GIFs

Fans Torn Over New College Football Playoff Format (msn.com)

No system will please everyone.

I still like the Division III system.

A ten game regular season with a 32 team playoff, including automatic bids for ALL conference champions, plus a few at-larges in each region based on regional rankings.

5 Likes

I’m going to say it first. I think the CFP will consider a 24 team playoff for 2026.

You only backup one week from a 12 team playoff and the first and second rounds will be on campus.

I think this would be fun and people can fill out their brackets.

It’s all about money, right?

24-Team-Single-Seeded

1 Like

This only sounds reasonable to me if the 8 byes go only to conference champions, otherwise 5 SEC/B1G teams get byes.

I would expect the Big 12 to get 2 teams most years. ACC would get on average 1.5 I think. That leaves 7 or 8 for the SEC/B1G most years.

As my data over the last 10 years shows 8/12+ each year from the SEC/BIG is a near certainty. I literally just gave 10 years of data supporting it. Again it’s not exact but it is a very close approximation of the teams those years leading into the bowl season. Big 12 looks to average 2ish with a range of 1-3 being typical. There literally isn’t a single year in the last 10 BIG/SEC teams only would’ve had 6 in.

1 Like