5+7 Playoff Format Confirmed

You didn’t give any data because the data doesn’t exist yet. You would be counting the records and rankings of teams that were in separate leagues that are now consolidated within the same leagues. How those teams end up going forward will be different.

The SEC would not agree with 4 G5 champs. The eight AQs would be the 4 top conference champs and the other top 4 ranked.

Remember, the SEC and Big Ten are setting the rules. If any other conference wants to be part of it, they will agree with those rules and processes.

Everyone needs to get use to the new reality that the SEC is going to run college football. The Big 12 may have a vote, but it better agree with the SEC.

Okay cool. Some of y’all are content to wait for reality to hit you in the face. Like I said 1-3 is likely for the Big 12 in any given year with an average of 2ish. BIG and SEC average closer to 4 (for 8 total).

Sure we might go 3 then 2 over 2 year span and that will look good but then we will go 1 and then 2 after that and we will all cry foul. Average of 2 for the Big 12 with some years only 1.

No it’s just the basic understanding that if the B12 has multiple great teams then those teams are going to get in. Destiny is in our control. Schedule well, handle business and be great.

1 Like

Did not expect them to find it reasonable. I am not arguing for that format. Only that it is the only way I would find it reasonable or fair.

System seems pretty good to me. It’s not hard to imagine B1G/SEC deserving 8 slots some years.

I wish they implemented this system in 2015.

There will NOT be nine SEC and B1G teams in the playoffs.

In any given year, no conference ever has more than 2-3 teams with good enough records to be in the title conversation.

The idea that one conference would have FIVE teams in the conversation in one season is completely outrageous.

NOT happening.

Hell, the committee is going to be under immense pressure to include any 10 win or more ND team.

I can assure you that that would take one of those at large slots for sure, and deny it to the P2.

1 Like

FIFY.

When have you ever seen a conference with four teams in the national title conversation?

See to me, D3 has the fairest and most reasonable playoff format of all. There are rarely disputes about at large bids, but given that I don’t remember such an at large ever winning the D3 title, any dispute about that is sort of moot.

Preach it, Brother O!!!

Oh you can forget about what’s reasonable and fair. Sankey only cares about getting the most money for his conference and the best athletes no matter who it hurts.

Agree with this.

I am just not a fan of 24 teams and especially not a fan of byes that go to teams selected by committee.

I don’t know if this has been pointed out, but 5+7 with the top four conference champs getting first round byes was agreed to only for the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

Beyond that, revenue splits and even # of teams has not been decided on. This is why the SEC and Big 10 are banding together, to demand a bigger piece of the pie.

We get to do this all over again fairly soon.

Hopefully the P2 don’t hog everything after 2025.

Guaranteeing a spot to 4 G5 champs makes 0 sense! And actually isn’t even fair.

Based on what I’ve read so far, they probably want AQ for their top 2 teams.

You can bank on the BIG/SEC getting 7 to 9 teams in the 12 team playoffs - likely averaging 8 out of 12. On average that leaves 1 each for (a) the Big12, (b) the ACC, and (c) a G5 conference champion; as well as only (1) more for either Notre Dame or the highest ranked 2nd place team in the Big12/ACC/G5. So the Big12 will most likely get just 1 team in the playoffs with an occasional 2nd team, but only if that 2nd team is ranked in the Top 10 and higher than all of the other eligible teams.

So let’s hope that with Coach Fritz, UH FB can rise up (a whole lot) and become more like Clemson.

1 Like

No I can’t.

6-7 max.

Ha Ha. Now that’s funny.

If you don’t understand that a 10-2 Texas or ATM or LSU or OU team (with losses to say Alabama or Georgia) will get invited over an 11-1 Texas Tech or UH squad…then I don’t know what to tell you.

You can take this to the bank - if the BIG/SEC get anything less than 7-8 playoff invites, then the system will get blown up!

1 Like