A&M paying for #1 class

Like when members of PSJ were cruising around in Caddies? Or so ive heard.

Started well before that!

1 Like

Only good thing is it’s more above board than money under the table which was happening. At least now we can do it without getting ncaa probation. It should help the schools like us that don’t won’t to get caught. Sec had / has bag money so hopefully that stops some since there is a legal way now.

We are getting to it one way or the other. I think the final product for football will be a league where the football program is not under university control, just “sponsored” by it. I could see 40-60 teams. Probably decades away from that though. Basketball with legitimate options to play pro immediately and a highly profitable tournament wont change that much. Similar for baseball? Track will have guys compete more outside of the NCAA to make money and endorsements but no major changes.

They handing Trans Ams again, or is that too passé? :grin:

Ha ha ha!!

Well done. :rofl::joy:

I thought the rule was it couldn’t be used as a recruiting incentive and you couldn’t tell or give the high schooler anything. It all had to be done when they were enrolled. Saying it out in the open that you made a bank account of 25m to recruit is a violation

Top players who’nt settle for chump change sports cars anymore from a donor a la Odessa Permian QB Daryl Shepard who took his gold Trans Am to A&M and then OU and never looked bacK earning probation for the Coogs and Coach Bill Yeoman. Players in the portal are now free agents and there is no way in hell we are going to be able to compete with the TAMU’s of this world. As I read some comments someone else made on another board; “ y’all think the Ag donors are formidible……wait until Texas shows up and it’ll be “here, hold my beer”.

Shep never went to Agy. Eric Dickerson took Agy money and his new ride to SMU

1 Like

It would appear that the NIL deals at A&M,UT and SMU violate state law.

Lol.You funny.

College football is not the only historic and cultural institution we are destroying. But any other comment will have to be carried over to the satellite board.

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I thought CBY got sanctioned for secure a car loan for DS’s mom. After which he got a car from some. Aggie and took it to OU. A twisted tale to be sure.

1 Like

The car loan to Shepard was perfectly legal and got the required votes from the bank board. Ironically one of those bank board persons was a huge Longhorn fan.
Sam may clean it up but I think what eventually got us on probation was transporting athletes, including Shepard, on private jets with Coach on board.
Could be wrong but that is the way I remembered it.
Btw, and not that it matters, but Shepard’s sad paid the car off before he finished at OU.

1 Like

Players talk to each other, their old high school coaches, family members etc. Word on what players are getting paid in NIL deals are probably common in locker rooms. And I have to believe that those rumors trickle down to high school players.

I’d respond more fully, but my post has been removed and I don’t remember exactly what I said. But apparently it was not permitted on this board despite it being rife with political talk and references. Sorry.

But I don’t think it’s anti-labor in any sense. It just returns the status quo. And there’s nothing that prevents the NCAA with an antitrust exemption from keeping something akin to an NIL with some real limits.

There are answers to the problems facing college athletics, but we don’t have the political will to fix it, or a million other things gone wrong in the US.

Yeah, but I’m pretty sure Charlie Marino (who was the bank President and UH alum) took the fall for that one as well…

It was a legal loan but opened a lot of Longhorn jealous eyes. The loan was paid in full and he drove it at OU. Don’t remember much about Charley

Btw Shepards dad owned a landscaping business and did quite well. Regardless on the surface it did look shady

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 2015 peach bowl team had an absurd number of 2 and 3-star recruits go on to get payed in the NFL and some still with a job to this day?

Another example is the Yankees having the highest salary tax year after year but keep taking mad L’s.

1 Like