A New Disturbance in the Force

What does $1.88TN or $1.56TN mean?

Trillion

Oh, that makes sense. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around a trillion dollars.

The height of a stack of 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion) one dollar bills measures 67,866 miles. This would reach more than one fourth the way from the earth to the moon.

1 Like

BTW, that’s the GDP for Texas and New York. I believe we are now in second place behind California.

1 Like

Another source , another number…

States With Highest GDP

• California – $3.5 trillion.
  • Texas – $2.1 trillion.
  • New York – $1.9 trillion.
  • Florida – $1.3 trillion.
  • Illinois – $973 billion.
  • Pennsylvania – $874 billion.
  • Ohio – $765 billion.
  • Georgia – $713 billion.

Or these guys
https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/files/2023-06/stgdppi1q23.xlsx

2 Likes

Notice out all those states either are blue or purple except one Texas red state .

This isn’t the politics board.

1 Like

One the coolest things I read recently (and maybe it was here on Coogfans) was comparing orders of magnitude in regards to time.

1,000 (a thousand) seconds ago was less than 17 minutes ago
1,000,000 (a million) seconds ago was in mid-June
1,000,000,000 (a billion) seconds ago was 1992
1,000,000,000,000 (a trillion) seconds ago was 29,665 BC.

Relate that to dollars and it’s pretty mind blowing.

If you spent a million dollars a day, it would take you over 2,700 years to spend a trillion dollars.

If you spent a dollar a second, it would take more than 32,000 years to spend a trillion dollars.

3 Likes

Of course it would take congress only a day or two.

5 Likes

So is the banking collapse happening? Or are we waiting for $10 gallon gas first?

2 Likes

Weekly chart of $KRE Regional Bank ETF indicates things seem to have stabilized :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I think the other thing to point out is that the relationship between GDP and state population. NY is the 4th biggest state and Illinois is 6th, yet they are third and 5th in GDP, respectively.

Also, I wonder how much of FL’s GDP is tied directly to tourism/hospitality? A large number of its jobs are in those industries. If people stop visiting, it will have an impact.

CA, IL, PA, OH and GA all have extremely diverse economies not focused one particular industry. TX, FL and NY are very big on one industry and thus susceptible to market changes in those industries (although TX is becoming more economically diverse).

That doesn’t sound right. I’m gonna try it when I get home.

2 Likes

Every summer I spend 2 weeks at So Padre. Always have a shopping trip to Nuevo Progresso, Mexico. Buy lots of pharma, vanilla, honey and tequila.

Well, inflation has reared it’s ugly head. Big fan of Sauza Hornitos for margaritas. I usually get a liter for about $17. Now, the price is $23. Still a good deal though.

Pharma staying low but creeping up too.

Did they ask for a tip?

You know…if you turn them 90 degrees every 2100 bills or so then you could maybe make a staircase and we could climb up to outer space!

1 Like

MSFT 1

FTC 0

CoachV holding ATVI on the advice of his son…very hap hap happy!