A Realistic Future Focus…

We have a 13 man roster.

2 are redshirted, then 3 go down to injuries.

Yesterday another, Roberts, got hurt and today it showed.

We now have 7 players for today.

Whatever we achieve in March Madness, be grateful and celebrate.

Celebrate what? Next season.

Our roster has a shot at being the most talented since 1982-1984 and we still have the Transfer Portal to add more.

We need a stud PG and the roster will be loaded. Studs two-deep at each position.

And the 2025 Final Four is in San Antonio.

24 Likes

That’s great but…

21 Likes

Of course we all do but without Roberts I dont like our chances to make it out the first weekend. Even if he plays he is nowhere close to being healthy. Gonna need Sampson to revive this team yet again.

1 Like

The first weekend? Really. Tech is a very good tourney team. We beat them like a drum with this lineup.

9 Likes

I hope im wrong

2 Likes

Elite 8 or bust for me. We’ve been back sliding for 3 years now in the tournament. We need to change the momentum. Injuries hurt but I think we have enough to make a run at in an elite 8 game for a chance at the Final 4. That’s my expectation.

5 Likes

I was yelled at and called all sorts of names for pointing this out before the season started, but I will say it again:

CKS’s style of coaching, especially on offense, will only get you so far. The pattern you are seeing is identical to what happened at OU. Build up, F4, E8, S16, then flatline. He is like a Thom Thibodaux type coach: preaches D at the expense of offense and runs a tight rotation that tires his team out.

Other guys did that and had more success: Nolan Richardson comes to mind. But that was a long time ago. No one has really been able to do that since.

1 Like

Are you forgetting the Florida teams in 2006 and 2007 coached by Billy Donovan?

The trio of Joakim Noah, Al Horford, and Corey Brewer dominated every one on both ends of the floor.

I thought the same until Tugler got injured. Then the team proceeded to roll off multiple wins.

Today showed that we can’t go too far without Roberts. We absolutely need a healthy Roberts to make a good run in the tournament.

11 Likes

They played great defense but were a “bigger” team. We do not have anyone close to Joakim Noah. Fact is you need a ton of luck at this juncture of the season. We have a ton of injuries and unfortunately it is coming at the worst time. I will be shocked if we make it to the elite eight. Here is the good news. Our “bigs” are returning next season. Jamal I believe is eligible to play another season. This is a huge personal decision. The ExxonMobil NIL deal is massive for Jamal and us. I am unsure of the other seniors but with the experience and size that these players have this will allow CKS to do more with his offense. We will also bring reinforcement through the portal, Great days ahead.

2 Likes

Yeah but those Florida teams were not playing 6 guys the whole game. Plus there were about 3-4 NBA players on those teams. Horford (likely HOF), Cory Brewer, Noah, plus Taurean Green and there was one other dude whose name escapes me.

1 Like

Backsliding? You shouldn’t compare year to year in the tournament like that.
We overachieved in 2022 reaching the elite 8… a year after getting some easier than normal matchups to reach the Final Four. Last season was a disappointment, but injuries were taking their toll and Miami was hot.

The tournament is a bit of a crapshoot. I will be disappointed with anything but an Elite 8 appearance this year, but nobody knows what will happen along the way that could alter that expectation.

1 Like

Well there is definitely something in the water.

We lost, Purdue lost, Tennessee lost, Zona lost, and now UNC is about to lose. Only UConn won!

There is your overall Number 1 seed. Hate to say it but they probably repeat.

Agree. If we had our full team (TA, JoJo and RW) we could compete. Now we will be lucky to get to the second weekend.

Feels like some of you haven’t watched other teams play and just think every other team has no issues. Weird.

11 Likes

Lot of drama queens today. I mean yes it was disheartening to get eviscerated like that. But it’s not like all of the sudden we’re total trash and completely overrated.

There are real concerns about a deep run, sure. There’s not enough depth to get into a slugfest then recover in a day. Which is a problem in the second weekend for sure.

11 Likes

Totally agree. Deep runs require deep bench players.

1 Like

We have an incredible bench next season, 2 deep everywhere. Our Bigs will be Francis, Tugler, Lath, and McDonald. And maybe Roberts.

And Guards! Lots of them.

Whatever we achieve this season is gravy. This is like 1981. You can see it coming.

1 Like

An 8 man rotation would be adequate, and 4 weeks ago our 8 man was fine. But no team is in good shape if they’re reaching into the 10, 11, 12, and walk ons.

4 Likes

McDonald? McFarland.

1 Like