Alabama Transfer- Eyabi Anoma

I love the fact that he doesn’t play games with us! Young man knows what he wants and not afraid to go for it! Definitely got on the right foot off the bat!

The OL coach said that he is good to practice against and it will make the OL better. He mention Anoma on the scout team which would indicate a sit year. But there is a chance he gets a waiver, slim chance, but a chance.

1 Like

I don’t think he should have his number retired. He left early, 1 year and a half early. I think retired numbers should only go to those who stay the course. I know some may differ, but that’s my opinion.

6 Likes

It seems the NCAA makes it hard for our transfers to play right away. Does anybody know how the heck Jalen Hurts get approved to play right away? Well, beside being an OU Power5 player anyway?

He’s a graduate transfer all graduate transfers are immediately elegible wherever they go. No shenanigans there. Could be some elsewhere, but not there.

1 Like

Totally agree! To me, in order to get your number retired you have to be a once-in-a-lifetime talent and you got to do great things for your school in football that it hasn’t seen in decades, maybe 100 years! And you have to be loyal and stay in the program through your senior year. Otherwise, the honor is watered down and meaningless!

Okay, I didn’t know he graduated.

Eds number should be retired now. It will be retired once he dominates the NFL so why wait? Not only did he pave the way indirectly for a 5 star at Houston. He represented us well and was picked high. Its not like we have a list of players in waiting.

2 Likes

Is football different, because that criteria wouldn’t work for Drexler or Hakeem.

At the very least he needs to
graduate.
With no degree I would not consider it.

Do you have a vote?

I would rather wait to see if he plays well in the NFL. IMO, the NFL is the litmus test of talent. We’ll soon see if EO will indeed live up to the collegiate hype he received.

Also I don’t believe in the idea of retiring numbers. Wouldn’t it be better to honor the name, but leave the number for someone to wear another season?

Consider this…if any one of us were a highly talented incoming freshman and had the opportunity to wear EO’s number, we should be motivated to perform at our best to live up to the legacy, and if we didn’t perform well, the number/jersey should be awarded to a better performing player.

Honor the name. Leave the number to live another season.

4 Likes

While it might be cool to wear a favorite player’s number in no way will it be a motivation to be a better player. Once the ball is snapped between the lines it will not matter of the is wearing a 0 or 99. However I do agree that retiring of numbers should be so rare. Just develop a ring of honor

1 Like

If the litmus test to having your number retired is based on what several have put on messages above, I guess we need to take that “11” yard marker off the field and unretire Ware’s number.

With that, I have never been one to “retire” a number. I do think you recognize players who had a profound impact on a program in a ring of honor of some sort. And with that, I think Ed had that type of impact on the program when he became the first “5” star in the modern recruiting ranking era. He was an anchor on a defense that quickly got exposed when he went out. It is not his fault that he got stuck with a DC that could not coach or recruit well.

2 Likes

You can tell football season hasn’t started yet by how far off topic these threads get. Someone needs to start a separate thread about retiring Ed’s number.

4 Likes

Completely agree! We should have a Ring of Honor similar to the Dallas Cowboys or some kind of a large plaque at TDECU Stadium commemorating the greatest Cougar football players and coaches of all time. Frankly, I just don’t like the idea of retiring numbers! Too many players like to wear similar numbers and it makes no sense to retire them just to keep other players from having the chance to wear them. Plus, if we retire too many numbers the gesture lose its meaning and appeal and soon all of the most popular numbers would be unavailable to future players!

2 Likes

Frankly, I don’t like the idea of retiring numbers, period! So, yeah, I don’t think the school should retire those guys’ number either! I like a Ring of Honor to commemorating players or some kind of plaque to honor them instead of retiring numbers!

I hate stealing ideas from the Horns, but don’t they have a walkway of statues for their players they want to remember? Would be awesome to have that at UH. You could easily put them along the space between the stadium and the parking garage.

8 Likes

How is Eyabi doing? Please confirm he has to red-shirt this year. Is this the Eyabi thread?

10 Likes

The off topic discussion is just an Anomaly.

2 Likes