Analysis of PAC adding us

WVU made over $100 million last season. They sell lots of stuff, they pack their stadium, and own every TV set in what is a small market. Their academics aren’t ACC worthy. But WVU to the ACC isn’t crazy because they do deliver their market, though it is small. Not likely, but I could see it.

1 Like

WVU being so close to Pittsburgh (@ 75 miles north) an advantage or disadvantage for ACC membership?

Those areas do not see eye to eye in general.

UH is 60-38 (61%) overall and 37-25 (60%) in conference in 8 seasons of AAC ball. Only one losing season out of 8.

Cincy is 64-36 (64%) overall and 40-23 (63%) in AAC, with two losing seasons out of 8.

We’ve had some VERY disappointing seasons the last four years, and yet Cincy only has three more wins in the AAC (<0.5 win per season). I’d say we’ve done comparatively well in the AAC. And that’s despite a clear difference in resources, as they got Big East $$$ for 8 years while we were getting nickels in CUSA.

6 Likes

We’ve done fine. I just don’t think the PAC wants a project right now.

They want an immediate, proven revenue source. In short, they don’t want to build stores in emerging markets. They want to purchase another company that already has stores generating great revenue.

That could change at any time though. So I’m crossing my fingers.

1 Like

Demographics are also in our favor. The city of Houston will continue to grow.

Our city doesn’t matter as much as the quality of student and /or casual fan we attract.

Right now, the type of students we admit contribute very little ROI.
Most could care less about athletics while they attend let alone after they are no longer on campus.

The SEC is full of small market large public schools that admit the type of students that add a tremendous amount of ROI. Ironically for us, they find many of those type of students in the state of Texas.

UCF appears to be doing this…we are getting better but still lag behind even Texas Tech (ask Matt Thomas why his son picked TT over UH)

We need to start focusing on a large percentage of high ROI students. Developing the Third Ward would also help with this.

No big media has given PAC expansion or a PAC defection by USC, et al, a serious mention. The SEC expansion hit the wires because it could be verified. Unless the PAC is unusually good at covering up now that message board speculation is trending, they have excellent message discipline.

Could we be blindsided next week like we were for the Texas and OU defections? Sure. But for not even any smoke to be detected is good indication that nothing has been discussed in the PAC. Message boards don’t count.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TepidPoliteBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif

9 Likes

No analysis on the Football team’s records is legitimate without a deeper assessment on the issue of regularly getting our coaches poached. That is by far the most significant element in the team’s inconsistency. It is also fair to say that after each poach, we have rebuilt the team to a high level in relatively short order. That too is significant.

Absolutely not.

I’m talking about the ones who had no idea we made it to a Final Four or that we even had a basketball team…believe me, there are a bunch.

Basketball only? No thanks.

We DO NOT belong i n the PAC 12. Geographically it would be stupid. And the travel times!

1 Like

PAC 12 media day is this coming Tuesday. In L.A.

You can bet everyone will hear all kinds of talk about expansion, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Dana. Your sucking is screwing us over more than words can say.

1 Like

Let me answer your question with another question. Yours and mine if I may.
“Will ESPN, Amazon, TikTok, Twitter, Fox, or the SyFy Channel pay a bunch of money to an insular conference so the PAC can play a handful of football games against non-rivals in a different time zone nobody wants to watch even if they are high?”
amazon wants to expand their media footprint. They are already done so with prime and in Europe soccer rights.
What does the specific Houston market bring vs all of our small12 and other G5’s schools wanting to be in a P5?
What we offer is unique. This is also another way for amazon to grab some Nielson ratings thus advertising revenues. CBS will be out of college football in a few season. They still have March madness but the PAC expanding is legitimately of great interest to CBS.

1 Like

PAC needs more exposure, IMHO.

2 Likes

Lol…if you didn’t take that you’d be crazy.

1 Like

Yeah, they bleed into the Pittsburg market, but the ACC now has PITT so no need for WVU.

The fact that we have Dana shows we have a commitment to football.

3 Likes

The PAC adding most of these schools would be like you expecting $2000 a month rent from a hobo because your rental is in a nice part of town.

A hobo is a hobo.