Analyst showing no love to UH basketball

Gonzaga-- WCC Conf is quite bit stronger this year than AAC imo.
S. Fran - 17-4 very good team, StMarys 16-4, BYU-17-4. Right now all 3 would get an At Large bid n make it a 4 Bid league. Whereas AAC Is 1 bid league currently assuming Coogs win CT.

1 Like

Who would have thought it when the AAC formed?
It looked like a much better hoop than football conf.
An annual 4-6 bid league.

AAC will stay mediocre barring some surprises. Remaining teams are mostly on the downturn with $ issues and bad coaching hires.

The new teams mostly need arena build outs or new arenas/hoop practice facilities/huge increase in coaching/staff salaries, etc to get rolling.

2 Likes

Is Jeff Goodman the guy from Roseanne or the tall guy from Jurassic Park?

6 Likes

The new formed AAC will definitely take a big hit in FB, but to me even a bigger hit in Basketball losing UCF, UH, UC . But it’s the replacements – where none imo are very close to having a good/stable Basketball program. Conf will be way down the list in Basketball .

2 Likes

BYU is not in the AAC so the conference will not be losing them.

2 Likes

Good catch.

Corrected

1 Like

The one I feel sorry for a little is WSU. All those years under Marshall n dominating their Conf. They decide to step up n make a move to stronger Basketball Conf–AAC. Lose their Coach, teams move out all within 12 mos. No Football program…they’re stuck!!

1 Like

Please leave a comment on Goodmans tweet. :+1:

“Goodman, you ranked Xavier #14 and they lose to an average Marquette team. Kelvin Sampson >>>> Travis Steele. Do you watch basketball??”

Something like that :wink:

assuming the C-USA schools enter the American as UH/UCF/Cinci leaves, UAB might win the league in both sports in year 1

1 Like

Possibility. Side note – looks like we’re stealing the thread from Coog1992, he wants to crap on Goodman. So better leave it there. I just like talking College hoops fwiw.

If it sounds like I wanna crap on him, then my mistake. The guy has a big Twitter following. Has a show now on Sirius XM.

As the tweet above shows he does read the responses and reply back to them. So for the smart Cougar fans on here, was letting you know of an opportunity to debate with Goodman about the Coogs

Again, I get it’s a who cares type thing.

I think your post about Goodman’s comments about the COOGS got a lot of people stirred up on the board. Which is good discussion, but you & I disagree on John Goodman! The few times I have read his comments, I just don’t think he has very credible opinions

1 Like

Goodman is fairly knowledgeable, he just doesn’t like our league. Itd be worth getting riled up about if we weren’t leaving. Since we are leaving tho, I dont think this is a hill worth dying on. Just my 2 cents.

Have you actually watched Marquette this year. They’re good. Also Xavier split with Marquette this year so thats not a very good retort anyway.

1 Like

I haven’t watched much Marquette. I just picked Xavier as an example since he ranked them above us.

Definitely not a bad loss for Xavier. But under Travis Steele they’ve been .500 in Big East play. Have yet to make the NCAA tournament.

So I would bet on Houston if I was Goodman.

But, unfortunately with Memphis and Wichita St not being good, barely any analysts are watching AAC basketball.

Edwards, Shead, Carlton should be getting more national hype

Jeff Borzello ranks us as #8 in his power rankings. That’s fair.

2 Likes

Jeff Goodman has worked for ESPN, CBS, & FOX. Now he works for Stadium. Seems like he’s going down the ladder. I guess when he leaves Stadium, he can work for Bleacher Report or YardBarker or SB Nation.

Not sure. ESPN cut alot of salaries due to cord-cutting.

I wish there were more voices in college basketball, but it’s similar to MLB. There’s a few national pundits that have big followings. (Rothstein, Bilas, Gary Parrish, Seth Davis, Goodman, etc)

And a lot of great local writers, that cover their team well but dont have that national exposure/platform

I am not sure about taking a bigger hit in basketball though that will leave a mark as well.

Football will be losing the two teams who played in the AAC championship game and a third who tied for 3rd place and is coming off a few years of great ball and having played in an NY6 Bowl
All three teams have played in an NY 6 Bowl and one even the 4 team playoff.

This is not new. It has to do with playing in the AAC IMO. Frankly I could care less what he thinks. Kelvin Sampson has done an amazing coaching job this season. He ought to win coach of the year. If he does not win it THAT will be a travesty. His entire coaching staff has to be applauded. Think of the message that it sends to recruits and potential recruits. Even with all of these key injuries we are still playing at a very high level.