Any chance Grimes returns? (Update: Grimes Declares for NBA Draft)

Grimes can play D. That and shooting close to 40% at NBA 3pt will get him a lot of looks from teams.

2 Likes

Sorry @Kmoney he has a point

Sasser just seems to struggle against guards with plus length. Otherwise heā€™s money.

We became a final four team the day NCAA granted his eligibility. Thatā€™s how much he impacted this program. His game now is NBA level and with some tuning he will do just fine.

11 Likes

As cold as Grimes was, who was guarding Deeky today?

He was held to six points and two assists.

1 Like

They were able to lock up both simultaneously. Not many teams would be able to do that.

1 Like

Deeky never developed a jumpshot!

2 Likes

Grimes is NBA ready and bound. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not looking at the big picture. Your favorite NBA player isnā€™t perfect either.

3 Likes

the national defensive player of the year ā€¦mitchell

6 Likes

I canā€™t say if or where Grimes will be drafted because I have no clue as to what pro scouts and managers look for in college players they draft. I will say that Grimes has been pretty consistent all year and has looked really good to me. Sometimes he tends to be a streaky shooter, and sometimes takes a bunch of missed shots before he starts hitting like tonight and against ā€“ either Ore St or Syracuse where he was 0 for 5 to start, but then did well. Some kids have a harder time adjusting to playing in football stadiums.

If he decides to return to UH, I will welcome him with open arms; but I would also be very surprised. Whether or not he is drafted or is signed as a free agent to the G league or plays overseas, I believe he has a lucrative future in basketball and will end up in the NBA sooner or later.

Regardless of his decision, I thank him for all he has done for our basketball program and for UH in general. He is a great young man and a credit to our school.

7 Likes

he currently ranked around 50-60 in most major NBA big boards (espn, bleacher reports, the athletic etc)ā€¦60 players get draftedā€¦ he is almost guaranteed a 2way even if he isnt drafted ā€¦most of these big boards include players who are coming backā€¦and this is pre-nba combine

2 Likes

He will get drafted. He is a former big time recruit and ended his tenure with us - as the best player on a team that went to the final four for the first time in 37 yearsā€¦ and he will not come back - he had a terrible first half v baylor but had a good tourney and a very solid year.

what will be interesting will seeing what opportunities Deeky gets on a 2 way contract - presuming he does not get drafted - he made a hell of a run in the tourney to improve his stock.

2 Likes

Cā€™mon, Coach P. Donā€™t be disrespectful to Fabian. Iā€™m calling my shot now. Heā€™s averaging a double double next season.

3 Likes

I think Kellen and Quannas will be working on the shooting this off season. I notice that each year kids stay in our system, their game improves a lot.

4 Likes

Zero chance.

Go get your money, Q. Thank you for the memories that will last a lifetime.

8 Likes

That was like his first time not showing up in a big game. Every time we play Cincy Memphis, SMU, when we need him, he shows up. On the road and at home. He showed up big against Tech, Oregon state, and was the only coog hooping today against Baylor. The harder the matchup, the bigger the lights, the more Sasser shows up. If you are just going to forget about history and only bring up 1 game than you can do that.

I think all except Sasser, and a bit of a surprise to me, were intimidated. We looked like deer in the headlights. Just my opinion. I donā€™t know what Sasser did to prepare his head but we needed that for the whole team.

Sasser will be killer next year and so would Grimes. With both, even if Grimes does not improve (and he would) we would be back in the Final 4.

Whether we could go to the finals requires Godā€™s favoring eye as it does for any team.

5 Likes

Heā€™s only 20, too!

1 Like

I didnā€™t think about that. But most kids who leave early are no older than that. How old were Armoni and Hinton?

Nate was younger by 1 month