Applewhite Has Fans

I didn’t say he recruited anyone. I’m making a statement about what I think their intentions were…based on the results.

Sam he was on vhermin squad. He just did not land here. We are/I am looking at our current squad. Why are we so depleted at every position including offense? That is clearly on him and others.
You don’t remember the QB whisperer? Really?
The OL struggled? That was his job Sam to make it better. He never did. You can’t expect the QB to throw out miracles.
Not the right QB to run his offense? Again good OC make do with what they have. Don’t you think he was all in when Kyle Allen came to us? You don’t just give a roster spot because you have potential. He knew about D’Eriq injury for how many months? He did not have time to add wrinkles to his offense?
D’Onofrio was a mistake? This is your first HC job and you are hiring a DC on a recommendation or hearsay? D’Onofrio was out of work. His entire Miami squad bad mouthed him. Believe me that does not happen often.
What about his OC? How in the world did that even happen? The second I saw the signing I knew that we were in deep trouble. There are hundreds of Coaches out there that would have been a better signing than this decision.
Jacket? Nobody points out the following. How in the world did not we have enough jacket? This was at home. He was not playing so what? Why did you then allow him on the sideline. That made no sense whatsoever. I met Oliver and discussed football with him. He is the nicest guy you can meet. He is more like good natured than a destroyer. The guy gets shopped block two seasons in a row and you are making a “stink” about a jacket? Oliver or any other player did not deserve special treatment but the jacket incident exemplifies what applesauce regime was all about. A good HC makes sure everything is taking care off…yes including the jacket. applesauce could have easily asked his equipment guy to find a solution. The fact that it made National TV is on the leader of men. That is the HC Sam.
More seasoning as a Coordinator? Supposedly he was this great offensive genius. What happened? uta? This decision was 100% on our leaders. They too hopefully have learned from it. You are correct in a way that I do not want any uta associates coming our way. As far as I am concerned they should not walk one step on our campus.
Listen I am all for a second chance. I wish him well. He has to understand from his failures. That is how we become better. He clearly is not ready to be a HC. Sometimes you are never ready. Sometimes you are better as a position Coach. That too he needs to re-think his entire career path. Only then could he be ready to be a HC again.

1 Like

WRONG !

So you make the pocket quarterback try to run behind that line? The run spread option only works when there is the threat of a QB running. Allen was no threat to run even if we had an amazing line

Do you really think 34th, 50th and 50th are “great”? I said his track record as an OC here and at Texas wasn’t that great. I didn’t say it was trash. You brought Dana into this, not me. But do you really think his overall record running offenses is better than Dana’s? If we finish below 50th the next two years I’ll probably be on the band wagon that Dana should be fired or his seat should be scorching hot (though I guess you will think he’s doing great and retract your doubts/criticism?)

Greg Davis retired and Bryan Harsin was brought in to call plays rather than elevating Major and giving him that responsibility. Call it what you will but Mack brought in someone from the outside who was roughly the same age with the same experience and gave him play calling duties instead of giving those to Major, who had been on his staff for a couple of years and played for him. This was after you said Major completely unilaterally decided he would rather coach running backs at Texas than be Saban’s play caller at Bama. Texas fans were generally not sad to see him go after he left amid the relationship with the trainer.

You never answered my question about Brian Johnson.

I don’t hate the guy or anything but objectively his track record is suspect. For what it’s worth I liked the hire when Herman named him OC.

1 Like

My biggest beef with Applewhite is not in the numbers but in his staff judgement and his awful, dreadful, almost eerie habit of not having the team ready to play each week.

Week after week we fielded a team of unenthusiastic zombies that had to be prodded to life. Eventually we couldn’t come back from the holes we dug.

I think kids were just not inspired playing for him. It was such a downer after Herman’s swagger and pad-pounding style.

I hated Herman from the time he did the locker room interview…but he inspired the kids to play at a higher level than what they were used to under LeBush.

3 Likes

Obviously the man has forgotten more about coaching football than anyone of us that posts here but you can spin it anyway you want and bottom line is, he was in way over his head as a HC. I do know leadership and he wasn’t prepared for that step. Army game was complete meltdown and showed total failure in leadership. As a leader you can never, ever quit as once your team sees that your done for good. He should have cut his teeth at a lower level program and moved up. RK and TF rolled the dice and came up snake eyes on that hire. They did have the courage to admit the mistake, cut bait and move on. Sure he’ll learn from it and be better prepared at his next opportunity, wish him well.

4 Likes

Punting at the 30.

2 Likes

You don’t understand recruiting. Coaches don’t tell highly rated players where to go. Frankly, that’s a laughable misunderstanding of reality.

2 Likes

I agree. He needed to be replaced. But some want to act as if a guy who won 8 games a year was the worst hire we ever made, and he simply wasn’t the failure that someone like Dimel was, even if he did go to Texas.

3 Likes

I’m going to be that guy. Yes, Saban knows a lot about applewhite’s coaching abilities in theory, but in actual application and them working elsewhere, he’s been wrong like everyone else that believed he was good (myself included). To take things a bit further, Saban has his own issues to worry about, like keeping up with the evolution of college football.

I remember a couple years back Saban made this big deal about spread offenses being bad for college football and it created more injuries. Fast forward, he needed to (and now) runs a spread offense to keep up with teams like Clemson and LSU. The issue is he’s too late. Ohio State, Clemson, and LSU have all closed the gap talent-wise in comparison to Bama, and that’s not even the most important issue for him. They also have better assistants because they stick around and/or where hired early in the play style change.

Bama will continue to out-talent most teams for the time being, but Saban is grasping at straws by hiring Applewhite back. That is only an attempt to reestablish some sort of familiarity with his assistants from a time they were dominating in recruiting and with the X’s and O’s. Bama needs more than Applewhite to beat Clemson, LSU, or Ohio State consistently (the Bama we all know). But hey, I’m sure the guys who keep quoting his history haven’t seen that he’s currently behind in the present for the aforementioned reasons.

Pretty sure Apple Boy will not play much of a role at Alabama.

Maybe he will be one who determines who wears the warmer coats :sunglasses:

1 Like

I fail to see where he even implied that !!

As usual you have next to no idea what you’re talking about. Applewhite has a significant role in developing their passing game this season.

1 Like

And you know this how !!

Do you sit in on the meetings ?

2 Likes

They’re assuming. It’s as if he improved their passing game( sarcasm). The reason their passing game is as prolific is because of the foundation that Locksley set for Sark. Applewhite will get some credit by default because he’s on the staff. Imagine having the best WRs in the country and getting out-dueled by LSU. That’s not taking anything from LSU, but they dont have the skill guys like Bama. Applewhite was probably standing there confused, per usual. Lol

You’re assuming. I’m not.

Whatever.

No I’m not. The aforementioned guys were doing numbers with Bama before Applewhite arrived and did well at other stops. Meanwhile applewhite has done absolutely nothing without Ward. These are facts.

Bama’s passing game was pretty damn good last year.

Maybe Apple Boy was faxing his plays to Saban !

2 Likes

Having said all of that, I still enjoy reading your posts.

We just disagree with our evaluations of Apple Boy.