Are mid-majors going to get hosed?

You should admit when you’re wrong:

Top 7

Then look at this: Bubble Watch

Note how the top seven are listed then all other conferences are grouped together.

5 Likes

Fine. I’m wrong, then. How silly of me!

Now…go back and fix all the grammatical errors and spellings on all your posts since you’re wanting to be technical!

1 Like

5 team logo

HOUSTON
:arrow_heading_up: Last week: No. 7
A team from a major conference has won 27 out of 28 games. There’s no way I’m not listing that team in the top five. Predictive metrics are still not all in. UH ranks 14th in KenPom and in BPI, 16th in Sagarin. The NET, which has predictive elements, though, has the Cougars fourth. Repeat after me: Houston is good enough to win the national title.

5 Likes

So, the AAC is getting 6 teams into the tournament ?:sunglasses:

2 Likes

We have to educate the football public who only watch college basketball in March that P5/G5 is only a thing in football. That’s it. Preferably our conference can educate people this year by getting multiple teams to the sweet 16.

6 Likes

P5 is a football term only. Ive also heard it referred to as the Autonomous 5, or A5, because of the direct P5 Conference tie ins to the NY6 Bowl and the Access to the Playoff. Basketball doesn’t have to worry about EITHER of those items. Win your conference tournament and you are GUARANTEED a chance to participate in the postseason to win it all…and Villanova and UCONN have both done that in recent years WITHOUT residing in a football P5.

Also, the overhead to run a basketball program, as compared to a football program, is considerably less. Thats why so many of these smaller schools can field a basketball program but not a football program.

And for those who make the P5 TV contract argumemt…we all know that is a football driven contract.

Just win! We already have a good start at sneaking into blueblood territory. Imagine if we go on a 15-20 year run of dominance and then add that to our history of 5 Final Fours, 2 runner up, Game of the Century, etc.

3 Likes

So Bilas thinks a 26-1 PAC-12 team could be a one seed this year? That would be the only case where a P5 team could do what Houston has done this year. In what other major conference (I’ll include the Big East) can you play your entire conference schedule and only have two games against tournament locks? Most years in the AAC this would not be true but with the historically strong basketball schools (WSU, Memphis, UConn) down this year and none of the swing schools (Tulsa, Temple, SMU) having really strong years the path through the AAC. This doesn’t change how good I think UH is, but I’ve watched 80+% of UH’s games this season so I’m relying on the eye test as much as anything. People who don’t see as many UH games as I do will be more skeptical because of the conference having a down year. This is an Elite 8 / Final Four level team

2 Likes

Did anyone read the article before complaining? The AAC is not part of the “mid major” grouping.

2 Likes

WTF is a mid-major in basketball? Does that apply to Villanova and the Big East too?

Yes.

Read thread and link to articles above. Will help you differentiate. BigEast is not part of Mid-Major Confs, nor is AAC. Thread is repeating itself over n over it seems.

Gonzaga is non Major 7 lock…

AAC and the Big East are ranked/rated higher in power on every possible system and are a lock to get more teams in the tourney than the PAC12. If the AAC and the Big East are mid majors in basketball, the PAC12 is as well.

1 Like

UH made its first Tourney in a while last season and now UH should go every year. As crazy as it sounded ar first, it’s not crazy. What a difference 1.5 seasons make! Thank you, Sampson and crew.

3 Likes

No way OU and UT should get an at large.

4 Likes

Agreed, it’s insane the love they get as extremely mediocre teams

The official term for power 5 is “Contract Conference,” and that is only for the purposes of football contracts to appear in NY6 bowls. In official terms, other sports are decided by players while the clock is running (as appropriate). There is some trickle down effect from football revenue to other sport performance, but the American is indeed a major basketball conference.

It’s technically impossible to accurately pick the last four in and last four out for one major reason. Knowing how many automatic bids will be going to teams that normally wouldn’t get in is a crap shoot to at least a margin of +/- 2 teams.

20/21 conferences will have 1 bid regardless if the best team or another team in the conference wins the tourney. 11/12 conferences each have at least one team that is ranked high enough to get in even if they don’t win the championship. That’s a potential of 12 bids going to teams that are unaccounted for. If Texas beats Iowa State and TCU at home, loses to Texas Tech on the road and then exits their conference tourney before the championship game, their fate lies entirely with how many of those 12 conference tourneys, are won by teams ranked lower than Texas.

Simply put, if you don’t want Texas to get a bid, cheer for teams that are projected as first four out, next four out, to win their respective conference tourneys.

2 Likes

I can’t see texas getting an at large bid if their not atleast 4 games over 500…don’t think the committee has ever selected a team with a lower record.

1 Like

If Texas wins 2 of the last 3 and then 2 games in the tourney, they will be 4 games over .500. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though I just checked the Big12 tourney set up and top 6 teams get a bye so I doubt Texas will win 2 in their tourney. So you are still covered.

2 Likes