Are mid-majors going to get hosed?

I believe it is simpler than all this. The P5 conferences (in football) always get a ridiculous number of teams in the NCAA BB tournament.

reason…$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They desire to focus the $$$$$ in the P5 conferences just like in football !!!

$$$$$$$$$$ = POWER !!!

1 Like

There isn’t enough money in the world for the PAC12 to get 3 teams in the tourney. The only way they get 2 teams in is if they fix the tourney and Washington doesn’t win it.

1 Like

Doubt they should have more than just Washington…maybe their tourney winner if not Washington.

What is your guess as how many teams the other 4 P5’s get in…I’m guessing more than 1/2 of the field of 64.

Well that is tough to say because that goes back to my point of there being 12 potential upsets that take away from at large bids.

I’ll say this, the top 4 conferences will each have a team that gets in that probably would have been left out if they had the same rating in the AAC. They do get a boost but it’s usually teams that at least have an argument and have some good wins on their resume.

We are a power conference in basketball. The AAC teams need to be winners year after year to build up credibility then they will get the proper respect unlike football.

A 33-1 UH has a shot at a #1, especially if LSU could win the SEC tourney. 2007-2008 Memphis ran through a much crappier CUSA the Derrick Rose year went 33-1 and got a 1. I’m looking through the archives and every team in the history of the tournament that had 1 or zero losses got a 1 seed.

2003-2004 St. Joe’s went 30-0 in the regular season, lost by 20 in its 1st A-10 tournament game, and still got a 1 seed.

2013-2014 Wichita State went 34-0 and got a 1. The MVC was worse than this AAC.

33-1 would be rarified air that can’t be ignored. I think we can do this. Let’s win Saturday 1st lol.

5 Likes

MJ…you lay out some pretty solid stats and your thought is well respected. I hope that you are spot on if the Coogs go 33-1 and get a #1 seed. Either way, a 1 or a 2 seed really makes no difference when you get down to the Elite 8.

2 Likes

No one remembers after the tournament if a team is a 2 or 3 seed. Just finish well and get that 3 seed and let’s go see how good we are.

4 Likes

In the archives, were any if those teams unranked going into the season? I think it is a matter of perception.

In the preseason polls we were not even getting votes for the top 25. If I recall correctly we were rated around # 65. If we win a national championship no one will care what seed we were.

2 Likes

I expect a very tough game from a hot team this Sat. Depth I think will give us an edge at home.

I only want a #3 seed for the Coogs. #4 or worse probably puts them in Salt Lake City or Orlando instead of Tulsa while #2 or #1 raises the expectations / pressure.

3 Likes

Isn’t it better for us this year if senior clad mid-majors get left out and we play some overrated “power” schools?

1 Like

All great comments. Beat UCF

1 Like

definitely want to at least hold on to #3 seed spot. Playing as #4 seed also puts you against #1 seed ( assuming they are winning also of course ) in Sweet16 game vs waiting for Elite8 to play #1 seed. #GoCoogs

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying but since we have to win all our tournament games anyway does it really matter in which order we do that?

sounds good !

It sort of does. While winning the entire tournament is the ultimate goal, there is a level of accomplishment for how deep you get within the tournament. Making the Elite Eight is more of an accomplishment than the Sweet Sixteen.

3 Likes

I was just letting my Lawyer answer for me !! :sunglasses:

Of course it is but to win the whole thing you get to the sweet 16, elite 8 and final 4 anyway so does it matter if you are a 1 seed or a 4? Not if you are good enough to kick everyone’s butt anyway. Yes, it’s statistically easier for a 1 to beat a 16 as opposed to a 4 beating a but the bottom line is you have to win.