Attendance is OK so far! (TURN THE COURT AND THE CAMERAS)

Baylor is definitely not packing there arena on reg basis but it also took some of these schools years to build up to that. Houston is on the right track and you can see the improvement.

5 Likes

Agree with the improvement. And I also agree that Rice doesn’t draw the random fan to the arena. But fans are supposed to be there to watch their team, not the opponent. Again, stop the excuses and let’s be better as a fan base for a program that deserves it.

1 Like

Season tickets sales was capped at 5k, just like previous yrs. They make single gm tiks available for every game.

1 Like

Nope, not even close. Check out their home attendance from the 2019-2020 season.

2 Likes

The atmosphere last night was amazing. There were tons of people there. The students packed in, and the FC is a great place to watch some roundball.

7 Likes

I concur. And also the fact we need to stop looking at others. And if we do we should emulate the good and not the bad. That’s why you will rarely see any mention of others in my posts. I want to see UH with the UCLA atmosphere like what I saw against Villanova. Now I am sure I will see an excuse saying that they played Villanova :joy:

1 Like

Ok so take Baylor off of that list and add Kansas, Michigan…… the list keeps on going. My point was we are going to be competing with these teams not only on the floor but in recruiting and game attendance matters. Let’s continue improving and put an emphasis on going to the games. Or if you have season tickets and can’t make it, sell the tix. Don’t just leave the seats empty.

You can add all the blue bloods you want. My guess is they have no shows too.

Either way, we are doing great in the attendance space. I’ll choose to celebrate where we are vs complain.

12 Likes

How many decades did it take for those schools to develop that type of culture? How many of them are in cities even remotely comparable to Houston? You watch so much college basketball but you don’t see all those empty seats in most games?

1 Like

There was a post the other day comparing UH’s basketball attendance with about 20 other programs and UH was/is kicking ass comparatively.

5 Likes

I don’t see 1/6 of their capacity no show. I’m just trying to understand why so many people don’t show up. Not doubting how great the atmosphere was last night. I think it’ll be great for Virginia this week. Just Tired of the excuses.

1 Like

Are they referring to sold tickets or actual fans in attendance ? Obviously a big difference. I also agree that changing the camera angle would make the attendance look better. But again, that’s another excuse. Fill the other side of the arena.

1 Like

Lol your excuse for not going to the game is “I moved.” The lack of “no excuses” self awareness here is ridiculous. You aren’t even going to games and telling folks how they should manage their work schedule?

If you aren’t going to the games don’t complain and especially don’t argue about how many people were there with folks who actually went.

It was a good crowd last night and a fun atmosphere.

3 Likes

I’m saying you should look to sell individual tickets, not give up your tickets completely. Would you want me to fly in from Colorado every game? I think you’re being sensitive when someone calls you out for no-showing. Let’s pack the arena and continue having one of the best environments in town. Grow the program and build a dynasty!

I’d guess traffic accounts for a lot of it. It’s brutal for people that live in the suburbs to make it to UH by 7 pm. 8 pm would be better but that’s up to tv. The weeknight games in particular should be the time to shine for the students. Somehow the athletic department needs to find a way to get 500 or so more students to weeknight games because that’s the most practical solution. Our alumni have no excuses for weekend games though so we’ll see how it goes.

UH only reports tickets sold so yes if you’re skeptical of how many people were reportedly at the game you have a right to be lol. I agree about the camera angle being flipped. It’s disappointing that it hasn’t happened yet.

I get that you want to turn on the tv and see UH athletes playing in front of packed crowds because I want the same thing too. The city of Houston just has a really laid back sports culture. Us UH fans have to create our own cocoon of excitement about cougar athletics. If we can keep buzzing about our coogs the rest of the lames in this city will take notice and want to be a part of what we’ve built.

2 Likes

Love this. Great post.

1 Like

I know… That’s why 7PM start times for ALL SPORTING EVENTS in Houston have sparsely populated seats. Many are just coming through the gates at tipoff/kickoff/first pitch…

2 Likes

I have an idea… Sell your homes in the suburbs and buy a townhouse in the 3rd Ward!

Then y’all can just walk to the game…

6 Likes

The most stupid thing about the traffic was that the wreck was on the frontage road and not on the highway. Drivers in Houston are like mindless sheep. The two far left lanes should not be going slow if the only traffic being interrupted would be those trying to get off to that frontage road at Monroe.

2 Likes

I am a teacher and have no ambition or want to teach in HISD at alllll!!! So bad TEA had to come in and take the district over.

2 Likes