It’s about time someone started an attendance thread! Seems like the elephant in the room that no one wants to discuss
Get us away from these 11 am games and we can show something
Please NO.
God NO.
I was at the game, lower bowl was packed and crowd was engaged. Atmosphere was great and it was all blue baby
Many poor attendance teams won last night and today.
Maybe this is the problem… If you think that the lower bowl was packed then you’re the problem. The crowd looked absolutely pathetic!
Where have you been?
Fans have been discussing attendance for the past 50+ years.
Once more, the crowd sucked. Nothing new. Going on over 6 decades now.
Problem is lost revenue. How much is 15,000 empty seats worth in lost ticket sales, parking fees, concessions, and lost merchandise sales? It’s over 7 figures per game. That’s $$$ we need, but can’t make up.
It also deflates emotions of players coming onto the field. They see empty seats, and hear few chants, and it deflates them. You think that didn’t have an effect in the 1st half? Guess again.
I guess I didn’t get the memo, I drove in from Conroe this morning. 11 am games suck, but we get 6 home games a year……our fan base needs to grow a pair and show up….
Stop making excuses about the time, the weather, concessions, parking, traffic….
Never ending if you ask me.
Our fan base is small. Sure. But you’d think in a city the size of Houston you’d find enough randos who want something to do on a Saturday to fill the stadium.
I really thought we’d turned a bit of a corner with attendance the last few seasons but we seem to be regressing.
Many of those lower bowl fans looked like empty gray seats on television.
Everything costs more now and the randos can watch us on TV for a lot less hassle. I don’t have any solutions but doesn’t seem like we can pull those people in unless we make a serious run. I met a surprising number of non Coog Houstonians in SA during FF, wanting to take it all in.
It was packed on the home side, sorry it sucked for viewers at home but it was a great time, I even ran into @JohnnyCougar. Tailgate was good crowd too, proud to be a Coog!
Houston area has a population of 7.9 million and UH drew 25K…
I think the school needs to work on marketing and promotions better and earlier.
I don’t live in Houston, but just curious…
Were there any ads on local TV or radio stations promoting the game and ticket prices?
Any ads in the Houston Chronicle or local news sources/website?
Electronic road advertisiing billboards that changes ads every minute or two.
Other places that could reach the public besides the schools official athletic websites?
So the same problem as Fertitta then. Switch the cameras
30 years from now it’ll still be an issue like it was when we played in the dome. It’s Houston, not College Town USA. Most people have to drive into the city and sit in traffic (That’s a deterrent). Sitting in 100 degree heat for 4 hours is another deterrent as is paying a stupid amount to park. None of the clowns in the stadium they have talking on a mic in between plays blabbering jibberish about something other than the game will ever buy you anything. The games are televised and you don’t have to deal with any of the above. We spent 20+ years in conferences nobody cares about. Control what we can control-show up and bring some people with you. People that care and want to watch football will show up. Hopefully we’ll get really good and sustain it and that will bring them in.
The student section was bad. The upper decks were empty. It was so sad.
Indeed! Good to see you and your absolutely drop dead gorgeous girlfriend!
Go Coogs!
Yes there were ads - I heard them - bottom line people will attend the games they want to attend. Marketing is severely overrated when you play a team that everybody wants to watch you don’t have to put nothing out. They will show.
we are a wait and see society.