Be honest, did you abandon ship at halftime

penny never abandons ship. unless you beat him in the last three seconds. then he beats his team into the bowels of the stadium

2 Likes

Not gonna lie. I turned off the TV before the first half ended and drove to Pho Saigon in Midtown for some spring rolls and vermicelli. I told myself not to think about the game and just eat something; either the Coogs will come back or they won’t and there’s nothing I can do about it.

After I was done eating I went next door to Khon’s. Khon was there and I chatted with him for a bit. I had a cider and finally decided to check the Coogfans game thread (I was too afraid to open the ESPN app) and saw that things were going better for the Coogs.

Afterwards, I decided to make my way to the Doghouse Tavern and wait for my wife, who was going to meet me there after the Rodeo ended. I got there and found a bunch of UH fans yelling and screaming. So I ordered another cider from Eli, dug my heels in and watched the rest of the game on the big screen.

And then the Coogs won. And then my wife came up to the bar. And I was happy.

The End.

14 Likes

The premise of the post is on the same level as the misguided posts alleging that posters are “attacking” UH players.

Maybe they haven’t played sports to any degree. I had coaches that “attacked” me much in the same way I have seen CKS “attacking” Mark on a regular basis.

Criticism or critique of a player’s performance does not qualify as “attacking”. To the overly sensitive clutching a towel to wipe the tears it is.

I think it was the hand-holding Kumbaya moment that CKS had with the team at halftime thst changed things around.

At the postgame presser CKS said that the difference between the first and second halves wasn’t so much a strategy difference as it was an “attitude” difference. As in he provided an “attitude adjustment”. Like posters on coogfans who were unhappy with the player performance, he must hate UH and the team members.

2 Likes

Or a “happy ending”.

1 Like

At halftime, I had a friend text me, telling me that we have Auburn right where we wanted them, that they would “cool off” and UH would come back. I told him “Hope so” and texted him after the game and told him he was right.

Industrial is OG. If some of you guys understood the s## he took and gave when uh was
not good.

5 Likes

Taking all those variables into account it might be necessary to explain where your hand was.

1 Like

No, I knew Sampson would make adjustments.

The only program in Houston Cougar sports history that was this well coached was the Yeoman Coogs. Yeoman would make adjustments and pull games out. Having said that Yeoman’s teams had games where they didn’t show up as well. But Yeoman is the only coach we have ever had that is on par with Sampson.

2 Likes

I was worried but I really didn’t think Auburn could sustain their hot shooting from the first half. I think the only commentary I offered up during the first half was that if they cooled off we’d win easily. I may have actually more worried when we were up by about 8 but 4 of our 5 starters were in foul trouble. Luckily Mark was money from the line, where as Auburn wasn’t.

3 Likes

Almost. It was like 12:30 for me and I said to myself if we started the half poorly and got down by 15 I would go to bed. That didn’t happen

Not me. I figured they would cool off. After what I’ve seen the last few years quitting at halftime was the the last thing on my mind.

2 Likes

Whether we won or lost I was going to love my Coogs. I figured we were 50/50 going into the game based upon the injuries. I felt had a second half run in us, did not figure it would be a stampede. I did not give up, but I was at peace with whatever happened. Sampson and the organization he has put together is simply amazing. When healthy the world needs to watch out for this team.

3 Likes

Nope. But I had identified the location of the lifeboats.

7 Likes

9 Likes

At halftime I took a shower and changed into some fresh UH gear. Tuned back in a little after the half started and our comback had already kicked in.

you guys can credit me for the change up - you’re welcome
 lol

3 Likes

I watched every second of it.
But I’ll admit after the first half, I wasn’t sure they had it in them to score enough to come back. So proud if them!

2 Likes

Honestly, as much of a negative nancy that I am I’ve almost never turned off a coogs game. I’ve been around long enough to know we always either pull off the improbable or end up keeping it close. Now there have been a few times where it was so obvious we weren’t going to win that I changed the channel or just checked out, but despite what most would say on here that’s actually been pretty rare.

But did you have the J’s on
?

Last time that happened in basketball was Final 4 against Baylor

And I still hung in there
 Ride or Die!

3 Likes

lol no, im breaking those out this Friday at work along with my UH Jersey.

1 Like