Big 12 & ACC formally bow down to the SEC & Big 10

:thinking:

I don’t recall him being and advocate for equality and inclusion for the G5 the last two decades. I like him less every update.

2 Likes

I don’t think NIL is sustainable for anyone the way it’s going about

What’s the ROI if players just transfer via portal

Yeah saban is being hypocritical here. Wants a level playing field only in areas his team can’t compete in but screw g5 and the Acc and big12 in other areas of equality.

Texas would say to saban screw this nil equality thing

2 Likes

I don’t think Alabama is toast but I agree that they’re going to get out-recruited

Because ultimately, an unequal system like this is not sustainable. If you were in a system based purely on profitability, then it is one thing. But that is not what we have. Instead, we have a legally enforceable quota system whereby certain groups (P2) are effectively protected from competition. The result will be that (i) the unprotected class (Big12/ACC/G5) will lose money (i.e., make less); (ii) those within the unprotected class will try to get into the protected class, causing further disruption and exacerbating inequality, (iii) this will inevitably result in collapse, since the ever increasing protected class will see no reason to even work with the others.

Think about it this way: imagine an auto market where the only cars you could buy were Fords, GMs and Chryslers. Then one day, a few new companies want to come in, say Tesla, Toyota, Nissan, Volvo, BMW, and Audi. In an open market, they would set up stores, offer their wares, and people would decide to buy it or not. But what if, there was a system whereby Ford, GM and Chrysler were guaranteed to earn 60 percent of every automotive dollar, no matter how bad their cars were, and the others were only promised to make 40 cent of every dollar, no matter how good their cars were? What would happen? Well, those companies in the 40 percent group would either give up or they would try their damndest to get into the favored 60 percent group. The 60 percent get to decide who joins. Eventually, as more join the 60 percent group, they will demand more from the 40 percent. Eventually those 40 percent will all be gone.

This is where we are heading.

2 Likes

The big problem with the money disparity is the P2, in addition to extra tv revenue, would effectively have a 20 million budget for each team to pay players salaries ( sorry, NIL).

No, it’s not…only the Bucket A) Very rich schools with Wealthy Alums or Bucket B) locations with a wealth of Marketing Opportunities.

I am actually very bullish on UH.
We are top 5% in potential for bucket B and for Bucket A, once the State funding goes through, we will have a higher endowment than 75% of the schools in the SEC.

Remember, schools do NOT pay NIL…outside sources do!

What I’m saying is that the NFL pays its players contract salaries which keeps the machine spinning

If a University Donor or local business pays recruits that don’t deliver or said recruits transfer somewhere else, how long are they going to continue paying players if they get nothing in return (unless all they care about is advertising)

but THAT is still way better than the BCS system which completely eliminated 95% of all competitors.

As we look at it today, the University of Houston is currently ranked #1 in the 2nd most profitable sport and is killing it in NIL and is trending up in Football.

2 Likes

Saban says he wife came to him and asked after hosting the players and their parents and all they, asked about was money and getting paid, she asked him why are they even doing this after." I tell why Ms Saban since your hubby didn’t tell ya $11M a year compensation with numerous auto dealership businesses that allows you to have a mansion or 2 on waterfront’s

2 Likes

She expects them to play for the love of the game. Nicky coaches for her love of fur coats.

1 Like

Wait so now I am reading that we are getting less than the ACC ($13M v $12M). Dafuq? I don’t get it.

1 Like

The playoff committee says it’s bc the Acc made the playoffs more than us and prob bc clemson and Fla st are still there as big dogs. If they leave we’re clearly the 3rd best conf and then the payout gets adjusted to our benefit if we expand.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what sucks about this system… knowing your top end players are probably getting bought in the off-season.

Don’t hate that the players get some short term payoff, but sucks as a fan.

2 Likes

Yes, he is being hypocritical here, but even a hypocrite, dunce, or broken clock can be right.
It’s 100% non sustainable the way it is now. Every major professional sport has salary cap
limits to level the playing field some what. Wild west NIL with portal is not good for the
sport. I’m not sure how you put limits NIL amounts ; it’s kinda like trying to put a limit on
how much you can donate to your religion. It’s a mess. In that piece it’s stated that the
2023-24 NIL aggregate collective is at $1.17 billion ??? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Name Image Likeness, nobody or organization can cap you making money off your NIL. Like the NFL telling Patrick Mahomes you can only make so many State Farm commercials or other commercials, because it puts you in a different stratosphere money wise few can achieve therefore that’s unfair, which is ludicrous. Now if you’re talking about compensation pay for performance like the NFL, that’s a different story.

This is correct Big Cat.

So for people who don’t understand, the reason that professional sports leagues can have salary caps and such is because under the Clayton Anti-Trust Act and Wagner Acts, labor unions and collective bargaining are exempt from the anti-trust law. This is why a few years ago, the NFLPA threatened to decertify the union if the NFL did not come to the table; if they had, any attempt by the NFL to prevent a team from negotiating with a player and imposing a cap on salary would have been an illegal restraint of trade. What the NCAA and the conferences want the Congress to do is to grant an anti-trust exemption to the NCAA. That likely would not work for numerous reasons, namely that players are not employees.

Funny that Saban has said he does not want players to be employees; it is probably the only way that Congress could pass a law that could regulate compensation that would not be declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court immediately.

1 Like

One problem is the system just continues to promote wealth inequality, which is the source of so many problems. So just because the SEC and/or Big 10 has been more successful, they get more money, so they continue to be more successful. Who is to say that the Big 12 or ACC or whoever would not be just as successful given an even playing field? We’ll never know. As for the expanded playoff, I suppose it’s a good thing, but wake me when a team outside the top eight actually wins a title. Conference realignment and TV money is what is ruining college football, not NIL.

That’s capitalism in action. ESPN, Fox etc are in the business of maximizing their profits, not building up university athletics. So naturally they’ll invest most in schools/conferences that give them max ROI.

Also, I don’t agree the realignment and TV money is destroying college football. That take sounds like sour grapes.

1 Like

It’s also the fault of universities for depending on media revenue to fund their athletic facilities

There’s just a lot at stake, and it only hurts schools like Wazzu and Oregon State who once were making great money. Now, they are making just a fraction which severely impacts how they pay for their athletic programs and facilities