Big 12 in 2022...?

The new SEC, ESPN deal kicks in 2024 football season. I would expect that SEC would want those two to be in the league then. Each would pay approximately 40 million penalty for the 2024 season and no penalties for the 2025 since the current media deal ends July 2025.

The 40 million would be negotiated down with OU and UT agreeing to continue their rivalry games with Tech and Okie state for a couple years and committing to renew SEC vs BIG12 Sugar bowl tie in.

For that 2024 season, would expect a reconfigured schedule such that legacy big12 schools hosts OU & UT-Austin while the new schools go on the road to Norman & Austin.

1 Like

Law,
TF could at least give us a loan against future earnings! No Usury rates !
Go Coogs !

I’d be in ATX and Norman that year if it does end up like that… Love to beat the sips in ATX!

Doubt that even more now that Rhodes said it !

2 Likes

I believe that the Big 12 grant of rights penalty and Big 12 exit fees are two separate fees.

The exit fees are owed regardless of when they leave, even if they leave after the media deal ends (if I recall correctly that’s two years worth of TV money).

The GOR penalty is an additional amount owed if they leave early, reflecting the amount of time left on the media deal they are bailing on.

So I think everyone talking about $160 million for both OU and UT(a) to leave early (by 2023) are not correct, as that only takes into account the GOR penalty to leave 2 years early, or the exit fees, but not both.

The big12 exit fees serves as the compensatory fee that makes the league whole when a school departs. The fee is 2 years worth of the tv deal. This is the same term left in the GOR if the schools leave after 2022 season. The GOR and exit fee requirement will run concurrently.

If they depart after 2023 season, then the conference will withhold 1 years worth (40 million per school).

1 Like

Not going to the B12 until OU and Texas leave. Done deal!

This would probably be a three way deal with too many moving parts to be feasible.

Good chance that the four new schools starting Big 12 play will coincide with Texas and OU beginning SEC play. Doesn’t seem like any purpose, due to scheduling problems, to have any crossover between outgoing and incoming teams.

1 Like

So does that mean OU and UT(a) will owe $320 million jointly if they want to join the SEC in 2023?

That’s a lot more (double) than the media is reporting.

If true, the Big 12 will really have them over a barrel negotiation-wise.

2 Likes

My thoughts on this.

1. 2022 fall - OU & UT in BIG12- no exit fee
  2. 2023 fall - OU & UT in SEC-40 million exit fee each.This covers GOR.
  3. 2024 fall - OU & UT in SEC-40 million exit fee each. This covers GOR.
  4. 2025 fall - OU & UT in SEC- no exit fee. Media deal and GOR expired July 2025.

A. If they start SEC play in 2023 fall , they pay 80 million each, 160 million total for both.

B. If they start SEC play in 2024 fall, they pay 40 million each, 80 million total for both.

C. If they start SEC play in 2025 fall, they pay nothing, zilch.

It makes sense for both to start SEC play in the fall of 2024, since thats when the new SEC, ESPN deal kicks in, and they can substantially lower their exit fees.

Starting SEC play in fall of 2023 is doable but would involve some serious cash and CBS which holds the current media deal with the SEC would get some solid inventory. Plus, would UT-Austin pay an extra 40 million to avoid playing UH in Austin for one season ?

The proposed 12-team playoff would use the NY6 bowl games. Remember the current CFP rotates the NY6 bowls for the semi-finals.

2 Likes

In that case wouldn’t the Orange and Rose lose their tie-ins as well. The BIG and PAC-12 are pushing back on that arrangement. True , the current arrangement rotates these bowls as NY6 , but they default to their tie-in conferences in years in which they are not semifinal bowls.

Waiting until 2025 doesn’t get them out of the exit fee.

Big 12 Bylaws:

Any Withdrawing Member shall pay to the Conference a commitment
buyout fee (the “Buyout Amount”) in an amount equal to the sum of the amount of
distributions that otherwise would be paid to the Member during the final two years of
its membership in the Conference.

Their final two years would be 2024 and 2025, and they’d each owe that amount. (They would be free and clear on the GOR at that point, of course.)

They can’t argue that 2026 and 2027 are the last two years that count in this context, because they already announced their intent to leave before then. Besides, even if they could, they’d still owe whatever the next TV deal is.

2 Likes

I am sure he wants us to play in the BIG12 yesterday.

Agree we need to build depth, but we are ready, we beat OU with the talent at UH we can do it again as a P5. I a ready for a rematch with UT. Next year we will be much better and 2023, look out. Is it possible for UH, with its recruiting grounds, to be a national power as a P5?

Of course UH would have been a national power by now if they were in the Big12 when it formed. I have no doubt about it.

5 Likes

Exactly this is why the evil empire and its minions made sure we would be kicked to the curb or at best end up in a G5.
The key is for the BIG12 to keep its Power conference status then watch out.

2 Likes

How can we lose the autonomy designation…?