Big 12 in 2022...?

People actually think that we are going to be able to convince the AAC to let us go early, but somehow OU/Texas won’t be able to do the same to the XII…

It’s nearly impossible for that to happen, and it does not appear that it will.

Likewise, I do NOT believe that invites to teams that will be in the Future Big 12 to join other conferences are forthcoming. If that were going to happen, then it would have happened when the conference was vulnerable and the schools there receptive.

3 Likes

OU/UT can both leave early as can all the AAC schools, if they’re willing to pay enough in a negotiated rate.

1 Like

OU and UT will leave as soon as possible. I would be surprised if this isn’t their last season.

2 Likes

If that happens, the Big12 would be in a bad spot in 2022 since the new teams are not going to arrive until 2023.

If OU and UT(a) want to leave that early, they’ll have to pay a lot, plenty enough to pay AAC early exit fees to get us on board in time so they don’t have to play with an 8 team conference.

1 Like

I would bet extremely heavy that we are not still in the AAC for the 2024 football season. I think 2022 is much likelier than 2024.

In a weird way BYU might have a harder time than us if Aresco is amicable because they have to cancel so many OOC games.

To be clear, 2024 would be our first year in the XII, at the latest. We’d have served our entire 27-month waiting period at that point and there would be no advantage to waiting any longer.

2023 is the real most likely start date, though.

1 Like

If the Big 12 needs us a year early, they’ll get us a year early. Us being as many of the four teams as are needed to meet the terms of various contracts.

Remember the Big East had to replace WVU in a snap and basically paid Temple’s way to come a year early.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s unlikely we play in the big12 next season. Too many moving parts among conferences, exit fees, schedules and so forth. Earliest would be 2023. Would be absolutely stupefied if OU & UT-Austin,wiggled they way out of the big12 in 2022.

There was the Here We Go! Campaign

Once they announce they buyout price we have the Time To Go! Campaign

2 Likes

The signs have been pointing to 2023 for everyone all along. I don’t think there’s anyone that can’t afford to wait that long.

Its all based on when Texas/OU leave.

The XII isn’t playing with 8 teams ever and isn’t playing with 14 teams (unless they add more).