Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

Reportedly, I believe from Dodd, Fox isn’t interested in the Pac-12. That didn’t make much sense to me for the reasons you mention bit that’s why all the reports are about ESPN negotiations.

Fox shares the ESPN window, and let the first window go without any offer or negotiation, as I understand it.

Fox may have an option to reclaim their existing games by matching ESPN’s offer, though I haven’t heard anything specific to the that effect.

With the season about to open up it has been very quiet on all fronts.

All we’ve gotten the last few weeks is that Oregon had a preliminary meting with the B1G to determine the feasibility of adding Oregon.

Apparently it was so “preliminary” it didn’t force any of the corner schools to run to the Big 12.

We hear things are happening but very slowly and these things take months of notice to actually begin playing in the new conference.

You’ll know something happening with the BOR meetings start happening in a in regular manner. Won’t be a secret move like USC/UCLA. Everybody is watching.

Even if the corners come, I don’t think they will do so pre-emptively. They’ll give us a call right after news of Oregon’s departure breaks. (Unless they jump for something to do with TV negotiations or something rather than losing more members. I do not expect that to happen.)

Fox may have decided there is no significant value in the pac12, after adding usc and ucla. Espn could still be interested in the pac12 for its espn+ content and those late night games

For that 3:30 pm, I could see West Virginia vs Oklahoma state or Baylor as more appealing than Stanford vs Oregon .

Coming around to the fact that the big12 will have more players in its negotiations than the pac12.

1 Like

Yeah, it’ has the feel of Hunter Yuricheck’s consultation with the pac12 a couple of years back.

The only simple thing is a program that plays in NY6 bowls, win conference championships, and will compete for the national championship is a bona fide winner for the B12.

The MWC championship game drew 1.7 million viewers. No one knows who those teams are. SDST isn’t going to draw flies across the southwest or in Texas in terms of viewers. Even less in the east.

And, even if SDST were in the conference we’d probably only play them once every two years. Hell, you can recruit SoCal without that game. Everyone else does.

3 Likes

Yeah, yall keep telling yourselves the BIG is going to just sit and do nothing…

2 Likes

In analyzing The MWC Title Game people cleverly omit comment about The PAC 12 Title game, which featured Utah.

Poor viewership. Look it up.

Utah does not sell tickets outside Utah. Tucson is a one day drive from that State and their fans did not show up for their road game against The Wildcats.

At least there is a chance of new fans and TV viewers in San Diego.

Our targets should be Denver, Phoenix, and San Diego. If other large Metro areas become available, great. Go after them. Salt Lake City already is covered.

1 Like

The stinky rodent lost USC and ucla.
It not only affects football but also bball viewership for the West coast market.
Currently they are at risk of losing Stanford, Oregon and Washington to the big10. This would mean they have lost the West coast market to their competition.
Does a business lose to its competition and does nothing about it?
I am still thinking the rodent will “broker” a merger with the PAC and BIG12. I arguably believe this is the best outcome for every schools, the rodent and all concerned.
Money to be paid is holding up this merger.
The sec coukd very well take Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Utah, UA and ASU…then what?

the coalminers against the steel andiron makers

Lol

4.2 million viewers vs. 1.7 million viewers

That’s a complete whitewash. Even at their middlin’ level of the p5 Utah is going to smash everyone in the MWC.

I’m not going to keep pimping Utah because I’ve done enough. But I will close with this. In a highly publicized rhetorical war with a “raidable p5 conference” it would be a public relations disaster to invite a g5 school. A year or two after breaking the PAC? Maybe. But right now it would be a self-own of Godzillian proportions.

1 Like

4.2 million viewers saw Utah in the Title Game

How many watched the Big 12 game?

A Power 5 conference should attract viewers

Did they? And if not why should they be in our Big 12?

I dont think anyone believes the B1G will “just sit and do nothing”…im just not comvinced that the “something” that they WILL do, will be with any PAC schools, and if it isnt with PAC schools then they probably are prepared to wait till the time comes to raid the ACC. I am pretty confident that the B1G will do something…but it just might not be Oregon, Washington and/or Stanford, that they want to “do it” with.

Agree, Oregon’s academic research is 114 million. Nebraska (last placed in the BIG) is 320 million. Have a really hard time seeing all 14 current BIG presidents voting to add Oregon.

Washington research dollars would be 2nd highest in the BIG at 1.6 billion. Stanford would be fourth at 1.2 billion. I think the BIG would add Stanford and Washington, then wait for the ACC.

That wouldn’t cripple the pac12, at 8 schools it would keep its eligibility to participate and sponsor sports as a viable conference within the NCAA

4 Likes

Yeah the PAC could still operate but it would further reduce PAC revenue to lose Stanford and ESPECIALLY Washington…i think the gulf between the PAC as it is now, and what the Big 12 will earn will be far too great for the 4 corners to remain in the PAC…and when they leave the PAC is dead.

1 Like

That is actually an astute point. They’d get the national brands, the time zones, and the academics they’re looking for.

1 Like

I agree with the first point, but not your second. They are not going to get invited to the AAU because of football. Those schools could not care any less about that.

Utah is an excellent university with top programs in CS, Engineering, Medicine, and Law. Sorry but it is. (It is a better school than BYU, but don’t tell them that :shushing_face:)

Also, Louisville got into the ACC because of Mitch McConnell. You know what, UH got into the Big 12 because of TF, Governor Abbott and LG Patrick. So good for us and for them. Schools like us need that kind of help, or else we would get hosed. You saw what it did for Baylor to have friends like Ann Richards and Bob Bullock in high places, plus wealthy alum. BU is now literally becoming South Bend on the Brazos (which has been its dream). It even has a gold dome, and soon I imagine it will have its own Touchdown Jesus. :rofl:

2 Likes

all of your points are valid. my main point is they think the are too good for us so we should just let them be.

2 Likes

Yeah probably so, but they will soon find out what everyone really thinks about them. The market doesn’t lie.

1 Like