Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

WVU v Pitt is a perfect example of what makes CFB great and, conversely what ESPN and the media are ruining.

WVU v Pitt is a traditional bitter rivalry as storied as any other rivalry. People in this board may not care or may not of have heard of it, but it is as storied as UT vs A&M. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people in the country who couldn’t give two flips about UT vs A&M. Not everyone cares about Ohio St v Michigan, except in both cases the networks (ESPN) will heavily promote them, and sure, I’ll watch them if they’re on.

WVU v Pitt hasn’t been played since 2011 and many of those fans haven’t forgotten, which is awesome. This is pure CFB

9 Likes

Utah is a brand. SDST is a g5 PR disaster

2 Likes

The thing I have against Utah is that the only reason Utah is P5 is Orrin Hatch and the only reason they were invited to the AAU is they were in the PAC 12 yet they behave as though they are God’s gift to football and academics. Let them go back to the Mountain west and let Colorado go back to the Big 12.

2 Likes

I don’t like Utah either. But they are an outstanding football program and would immediately give the B12 another candidate for a national championship.

Who is the guy with higher upside?

1 Like

WHO CARES what their upside is?? We dont need them. We have BYU. We want to invite 4 PAC schools to join Big 12…We can invite who ever we choose, and we should choose schools who want to be here. New markets and territories far more important than what Utah record is the last few years…We already have many powerhouse programs in FB and BB…We are Big 12, not cusa…
If Utah is so great, why doesnt BIG want them? or maybe they do…but i would make it a point NOT to invite them, since they made it clear we are unworthy of them, in their way of thinking.

As for their academics, just remind them of cold fusion in a bottle.

1 Like

I’d rather arizona, arizona st, col and Oregon st over Utah.

Is it me or does UH get more respect from the eastern US than the western?

I have honestly never heard one positive comment about UH from the west other than a sports writer or two commenting about our market potential.

Hell, I even got positive comments from South Carolina and Pedo State fans.

3 Likes

Calm down…. I was messing with Funk about his Sofia Vergara comparison.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about this history, but I love it. Perfect chirping opportunity.

If I had any deciding vote to go from XII to XX:

• Syracuse (over BC) or Oregon State
  • Virginia/NC State/Wake Forest because the conference wouldn’t get either Duke/UNC combo
  • Pitt
  • Miami
  • ASU
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Washington State (they have great fans)

I would add these to get to XXIV:

• Oregon State or Syracuse (opposite pick)
  • One more from the Virginia/NC State/Wake Forest
  • Utah or Lousiville
  • Wildcard: UAB, Memphis, or Georgia Tech

I would take Washington State along with Arizona, ASU, and Col.
We would have 3 Cougars in the same conference!!!

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s beautiful in Pullman but just no….

2 Likes

Plus, we were named after the WSU mascot.

2 Likes

Shameless plug for my evolving Houston Junior College historic football series.

1 Like

One thought that occurred to me is that I could very easily imagine Utah coming to the Big 12 kicking and screaming but once here for a bit become avid defenders of the conference.

When the Big East fell apart, Cincinnati and UConn had similarly negative attitudes towards the AAC. Cincinnati got over it and got to work and a lot of their fans became advocates for the conference (even while, like us, trying to move up). UConn never did any of that and went on to leave.

When I lived out there I don’t remember them being anywhere near as critical of the MWC as they are of the Big 12 right now.

If I had to guess, I would guess Utah is more like Cincinnati than UConn.

https://twitter.com/MattBrownEP/status/1563192532779302915

In 2021 Arizona hosted Utah and San Diego St., and played BYU in Las Vegas.

The Utah game drew 32,000.

The San Diego St. game drew 39,000.

The BYU game drew 54,000. And,yes, lots of that crowd were Cougar fans.

Note that our Big 12 already has BYU and that their fans travel. Utah, perhaps not as much.

Ask our coaching staff if they would like to play in, and recruit in, S. Cal.

Vs playing 2 schools from Utah every year.

This seems amazingly simple and I predict that Yormark will see it exactly that way.

4 Likes

TBH I’m not sure it’s either-or. If SDSU adds to the conference we should add them. If Utah adds to the conference we should add them. If both add to the conference then we go to 17. Their pros and cons are different enough I’m not at all sure adding one would de-value adding the other also, if each improves the conference.

1 Like

Fox will need to fill that 3:30 pm window and at least five 7 pm games during the season. I don’t think fox will that slot with other BIG matchups, those will go to BIG network.

Not sure whether the pac12 is negotiating with Fox at this point.