Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

What a thread for the archives.

It may not have ultimate purpose but I enjoy reading you gentlemen.

1 Like

I believe they did not expect U of H to be given a re-entry into a P5. I too 100% believe the ultimate goal is for the media to have two power conferences. I have mentioned it numerous times. The nfl does not want to pay for a minor league. Having these two power conferences IS their minor league. Furthermore I do believe that becoming an AAU school might be the x factor to get an invite into the big10. This will be for the same reasons that Rutgers got an invite. Our ever growing media market is key. The sec will have two Texas based schools. The big10 has none. What stopping them from including us again like they included Rutgers?

1 Like

The sec and Big10 aren’t breaking off. We’re going have a 12 team playoff to make them and everyone happy.

3 Likes

If we’re going to use a business model, let’s call it mergers and acquisitions which is probably applicable. Prior to Arkansas leaving for the SEC, I don’t remember any school from a major conference, when the SWC was a major conference, moving to another major conference.

Look at the Standard Oil monopoly When originally broken up it was a number of companies, they have since consolidated back into 5 major oil companies. We could call them the Petroleum 5 or P5.

Will they continue to consolidate? Exxon and Mobil merged, like the Big 8 and SWC. I think we’ll still end up with major conferences, there may be 5 or fewer, just some will be larger and more successful than others. I don’t know if it’s a kill your competitors versus making yourself stronger while weakening your competition situation.

1 Like

I don’t believe that will happen because congress is not going to let it happen and the SEC and B1G do not want the government telling them what to do.

I guarantee you US Representatives and Senators will claim it will be harmful to student athletes in their states and a negative impact on their state’s economy. The University of California regents, UCLA and the B1G situation will pale in comparison to what the government will do.

It can go down to 4 power conferences but that will be the least amount in my opinion.

Do not be so sure. The one thing we have all learned is expect the unexpected. From an education and sports goals there is one common denominator. Achieve AAU status ASAP. Could the big10 make and exception for U of H down the road? Nobody knows for sure.

The BCS/P5 couldn’t break off due to political pressures. It seems highly unlikely that the SuperTwo will be able to.

2 Likes

The only political pressure that worked was Orin Hatch going to bat for his UTES. Every other political pressure has failed so far.
Remember:
How did the Texas legislature felt when madcowsu announced they were going to the sec?
How did the okie house felt when they announced they were going to the sec?
How did the State of California felt when USC and uclaa announced they were going to the big10?
Everything is on the table friends.

1 Like

I’m guessing the Justice Department’s Antitrust people would start to take notice if the B1G and SEC seriously contemplated breaking away.

2 Likes

Two is not antitrust. One is antitrust.

The wealthiest, most powerful alumni in their respective states are from schools that are in B1G/SEC, they will make sure that there is no political interference. Between B1G/SEC they cover 24 states. Their alumni have the power to block any serious govt interference.

Next, as SEC/B1G pull even further ahead in revenue, some current P5 schools might voluntarily decide they can’t keep up in the rat race.

For all their handwringing and public show of disgust California politicians were not able to stop UCLA switching to B1G.

Actually, a move towards monopolization can also trigger antitrust action.

As can “contracts, combinations, and conspiracies in restraint of trade.”

A P2 might be exactly that.

1 Like

Also, don’t assume that a B1G invite is coming even if we are AAU.

Remember, the B1G already turned down larger brand and longer established AAU members Washington and Oregon, as well as basketball blue blood Kansas.

Only ND is a sure thing as far as a B1G invite goes
IF ND wants it (they may not with an expanded playoff).

1 Like

Was Rutgers a big brand?
Rutgers was added because of the number tv viewers nothing else.

Back in those days, TV markets were everything, because of cable.

That’s no longer true. They still matter, but with the advent of streaming media, BRANDS and BRAND SIZE matter more.

Washington and Oregon weren’t big enough brands.

Given that, don’t bet on UH being big enough.

As I said, only ND is a sure thing.

Also, remember, merely being located in a big market isn’t enough.

If that were true, then Temple and SMU would be P5. They aren’t, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Not quite. Streaming companies need
subscribers.
Possible big10 subscribers in the greater Houston area?

The big 10 network is already available here so if there are big 10 fans they are already subscribing.

It wasn’t just Hatch. McConnell was out there, too, because of Louisville. So was Senator Biden, for that matter (not sure why, since Delaware is FCS). Even after Louisville and Utah were (or were going to be) in the club, congressional pressure was enough to give the G5 a permanent NY6 spot (in a way that screwed over BYU, so we know that wasn’t Hatch’s angle).

Bowlsby expressly said (and I believe Sankey made reference to) congressional interference played a role in the playoffs adopting “top six” model, as opposed to P5+1 or excluding the G5 altogether. They didn’t include the G5 because they were generous of heart. That was after Hatch had left.

SuperTwo would exclude universities in the states of a lot more senators, than BCS/P5 ever did.

1 Like

Wanna bet?

Ever heard of the Sherman Antitrust Act?

Section 1:

Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal.[11]

Section 2:

Every person who shall monopolize, or attempt to monopolize, or combine or conspire with any other person or persons, to monopolize any part of the trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, shall be deemed guilty of a felony [. . . ][12]

Firms that have banded together to fix or raise prices, monopolize markets and keep out other competitors, etc., have been found to be in violation of this act.

Arguably, a P2 would be just that. A combination of firms (universities), conspiring to monopolize college football competition at the highest level, monopolize TV and streaming media deals, raise prices of various kinds of TV or royalties, etc.

As I said, the P5 already raised enough eyebrows in Congress in that regard.

At one point, the Attorney General of Utah considered filing an antitrust lawsuit against the BCS.

That’s why Orrin Hatch and others in Congress got involved.

A P2 would raise EVEN MORE eyebrows.

1 Like

I agree with your points. I might take exception with the monopolizing of college talent. Although, you could say that by acquiring elite talent, they are subsequently monopolizing the tv market. But you can’t force the networks to pay the same amount.

The NCAA attempted to restrain college football talent by limiting scholarships. However, with NIL now in play, you can make the argument that point is moot. Although, if you state that all players on a team must be scholarship athletes, that could help to alleviate that.