Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

PAC is not able to add anyone until they pay their 50 million TV debt and sign their TV contract…Who knows how long the wait will be? But this is a SDSU dream so they dont figure to walk away from it.

Wrong!

I wanted to join the PAC WITH Texas Tech, Kansas & Oklahoma State.

It was ALWAYS a package deal to get into the Central Time Zone

Thus killing the Big 12 and allowing ONLY UH to get the G5 to P5 promotion

Even though the PAC had already turned down four Big 12 schools with bigger brands.

Somehow you thought that they’d take three Big 12 schools, plus a smaller brand G5 (UH).

Yeah whatever.

Everybody else knew better.

You also tried to tell me that the PAC was more stable (NOT!!!).

And you brought up left-wing politics.

Whatever.

I told you long ago that academics don’t drive this, nor politics. SPORTS do, and the Big 12 is way better in the two sports that matter.

Utah is way better than SDSU in that regard.

AND in academics.

Speaking of AAU, if you were to prioritize $30 million in funding, would you put it into research initiatives or an enhanced football operations center?

Any addition to B12 is about the future. SDSU has a long-time better future imho than Utah. It’s still Southern California and millions of people.

33% chance of Pac 12 extinction, from one of the biggest Pac 12 homers:

Is there any sort of indication that this TV deal is getting close? — @SaltLakeJake

Among some Hotline sources, confidence in Kliavkoff is as strong as ever.

With others, there is a growing concern that he hasn’t acted with the required urgency and doesn’t grasp the potential for disruption. (In realignment, assume nothing.)

The Hotline’s official odds: Pac-12 survival remains a 5.5-point favorite over Pac-12 extinction (a probability of about 67%).

Easy. If you can afford to donate $30M, you can afford to donate another $30M but football comes first since it’s urgent. Ask Fertitta. He gave $20M for basketball then later donated $50M to the medical school.

It was a pipe dream but still , it was the better scenario for us.

It would have downgraded Baylor and TCU to G5, killed the Big 12, and prevented UC, BYU and UCF from going P5

2 Likes

Getting added to the Big 12 was a better scenario for us.

The events surrounding the PAC since have made that clear.

We’d have joined a conference only to see it get raided.

2 Likes

But still a far smaller brand.

And to be quite honest, I don’t see their brand getting significantly bigger or better.

Being in SoCal hasn’t helped their brand too much so far, so I’m skeptical that it will in the future either. That argument doesn’t persuade me, given that.

Nah…even if USC + UCLA bailed, we’d still have:

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Utah
Colorado
Stanford
CAL
Arizona
Arizona State
Houston
Texas Tech
Kansas
Oklahoma State

The Big 12 would go G5 or be absorbed by AAC, meaning UH would gain the recruiting and financial advantage over Baylor, & TCU and all of the other current Big 12 members not invited to the PAC.

If they wanted…they could add 2 more to get back to 16.

You’re letting your Texas in-state rivalries dream cloud what would have been the better scenario for the University of Houston. As long as Texas Tech came with us to the PAC, id be OK with that scenario.

But…the PAC passed on making that a reality and we are in the Big 12 now and i 100% support us, the Big 12, raiding the PAC.

Survival of the fittest

3 Likes

I thought of one scenario that is often overlooked. What if the end goal is 24 and not 20?

Would you take the jump at the PNW 4, if that means only grabbing Pitt and L-Ville from ACC and having to settle for SMU and USF to match the other two at 24? And under that, would OU and UW bite if you guarantee them a game yearly in Houston/Dallas for recruiting.

Because B1G can take All northern ACC stuff and California and sell it as owning Cali, North East and Midwest. They dont NEED PNW if they can sell solid blocks of high population.

Yes, i mentioned that.

Three (3) 24 school conferences broken up into 2 12 school divisions

That would equal 72 P5 programs so a few G5s would get the bump up.

That’s why we are seeing SMU, SDSU, Tulane, Memphis and even Rice scurry to upgrade their facilities

How about a Coogfans drinking game?

Drink when Law mentions AAU in a post.

12 Likes

Or completely misunderstanding that PAC expansion would have meant killing the Big 12

2nd tier brands are fluid over time depending on a lot of variables.

Houston remains a mystery due to G5 status and not having a billionaire to help update facilities until 2014. You could argue we didn’t really get our act together for 20 years after initial realignment.

I’ve heard the story time and time again that Ann Richards, UT, and a few other politicians kept us out of the Big XII but we didn’t exactly help our position for anyone to lobby for us.

The city of Houston was an absolute sh*thole in the late 80s and early 90s. Downtown was an abandoned warehouse, some of the surrounding wards were going through turf wars between DJ Screw and DJ Michael 5000 Watts’ foot soldiers, and the Oilers were leaving for Tennessee. With zero new developments on the horizon and hitting rock bottom with our athletics department during that timeframe, UH was not a good option.

Well …fast forward nearly 30 years later and we will have our shot to do what TCU just did.

I just don’t think anything is for certain when it comes to our future and a possible B1G invite. Houston and the surrounding region is a recruiting hotbed. We are a massive threat to the way things have been for the past 30 years in recruiting and, recently, the transfer portal.

You could see the peak of our exposure was the Peach Bowl victory which landed us the #41(rivals) recruiting class in the nation as a G5 the following year. That means we beat out 24 P5 schools just off one New Year’s Six bowl win and a coach who marketed our brand really well and embraced the 3rd coast culture. Now imagine if we were P5 during that time. Would that equate to top 25 recruiting? Absolutely.

I wouldn’t rule anything out now that we’re on the big stage.

8 Likes

Well said

It appears that to get a B1G bid we will need to attain:

1. AAU status, AND

2. a brand size larger than Washington (given that even theirs wasn’t large enough).

Both appear to be a LONG way off.

Given that, get used to the Big 12.

Of course, that was never a possibility given that the PAC had already rejected expansion with bigger brands than ours.

It was our destiny to join the Big 12.

The PAC helped ensure that by guaranteeing the Big 12’s survival, and then undermining itself.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be even divisions. Would be nice if it broke down that way, but I wouldn’t stretch geography or add extra teams to make it happen. If say you have six teams in the west, nine teams in the center, and eight teams to the east, everybody plays five games in their “division” but teams in the west play every team every year and the other two have annual and bi-annual opponents. That’s better than trying to shoehorn Texas Tech in the west or Cincinnati into the central or whatever.

Set up interdivisional play through tiers so that the top teams play the top teams. Every four years you run records through a computer and promote/relegate tiers.

Result is that some of the teams rarely play others, but that’s okay. You have to earn the right to play the top tier (except teams tagged as annual rivals).

Central to all of this is to not get bogged down by how conferences have historically operated.