Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

33% seems high, IMO. Unless he’s talking about through 2038 something.

You want to be where the blue bloods are. In 10 years, the ACC will lose Clemson and Florida State to the SEC and perhaps Virginia and UNC to the BIG.

Expect the ACC to target Cincy, UCF and West Virginia and when they renew their deal.

What happens to the big12 then.

1 Like

As if they would leave the Big 12 for a raided/depleted ACC.

Sure.

If anything, it’ll be the other way around.

1 Like

Old Coogs get mad about that but its the truth. UH was a dump in 1996 in every way, shape and form. I was a little kid throughout the entire 90s but from what I remember, Houston was not that great.

UH was horrible when I really started following football in the early 2000s. It wasnt until Kolb under center that perception started changing.

Like you said, from an administrative standpoint, things didnt start changing until 2008.

UH has made decades worth of progress in just 15 years. Imagine if this had started in 1988 instead of 2008.

4 Likes

The big12 is unable to pry the four corners schools from a deal less pac12. How is it going to raid ACC schools in more populated east coast.

Secondly, the scenario I listed is a worst case scenario for the ACC. If UNC or Virginia stay in the ACC , then that conference will raid the big12.

Answer: because who is going to want to go to a conference which is presently weaker than the Big 12, and will only get worse with the loss of the teams you mentioned? Answer: no P5 school!

Without any of its top football brands, the ACC is NOT going to be a desirable conference, any more than the PAC is after losing its two blue bloods.

We can’t help it if the four corners schools are dumb.

The does NOT mean that the Big 12 teams will be so dumb as to go into what’s left of a GUTTED ACC.

P5s don’t flock to join recently raided conferences. See the PAC for reference.

If anything, the Big 12 may add Louisville and Pitt, and possibly a few others.

Please educate yourself before making any statements like that. It is not that hard to pick up some data, books, videos, youtube games etc…
You and others making assumptions due to lack of knowledge is one of the reasons why our Alumni following is dismall.
Get educated first then you will get a much better appreciation for U of H.
Deal?

Cincy and UCF would never join a Clemsonless/UNCless/Florida Stateless ACC conference

That would be a worse conference than the Big 12

1 Like

You are making assumptions just like you did before. The only thing we know for sure is that we do not know the future.
Our main goal is to get to AAU status ASAP. Then I am 100% convinced we will get. big10 invite. Our media market us too big fir them to ignore. This is especially true with the madcows and OU in the sec.

2 Likes

I agree. The proof is in the pudding that It will be the Power 2 conferences with the Big 12 being the wedge between The B1G/SEC and the non-Power conferences.

It’s clear that Colorado is doing everything they can to appeal to the B1G which is why they made such an unorthodox hire in Prime. Oregon, Stanford, and Washington are all waiting for that B1G invite as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I find it surprising that people don’t look at our situation holistically in the early 90s and point to our obvious flaws with facilities, a 32k seat stadium that had zero amenities, and in a location where crime rates were at or near the top in the nation.

We played in the Dome at the time.

Didn’t play at Robertson at all until the mid-90s and not regularly at Robertson until after that.

If it were just about media markets then they’d take Rice (which is already AAU) and be done with it.

The reason they don’t is because of BRAND SIZE.

As I said, you have to be BOTH AAU AND have a brand size bigger than Washington to attract interest.

We aren’t close.

I’m aware of that as I made the transition from dome to Roberston when I first started attending games while in high school in ‘94.

Dome wasn’t desirable either due to being off campus and we drew low attendance unless we played aTm or Texas. Our last game against the Aggies drew maybe 40k?

I went to every home game in ‘94 at the dome and it was absolutely pathetic.

1 Like

That was a bad year.

Probably our second worst team ever.

Fortunately we won our conference in 1996 my 3rd year.

1 Like

Not quite:
riceoroni is #1 not a public school
riceoroni #2 has never registered on the Nielsen ratings or sports hierarchy.

U of H is the perfect fit for the big10 when we become an AAU member.

2 Likes

So?

Neither are Northwestern nor USC.

It’s about AAU and BRAND SIZE now.

It was about markets a decade ago.

And based on what we have seen in recent months, your brand had better be bigger than Washington’s in order to attract B1G interest.

Ours isn’t.

Dude. UH sucked ass in the 90s. There were hardly any dorms, we didnt play on campus for half the decade, Hofheinz was a rat/roach hotel, administration almost dropped football and all you had to do was breathe to get admitted.

It doesn’t make you any less of a Coog. With all due respect, Millenials and Gen Z have attended UH because we wanted to, not because we had to.

My cousin attended UH in the late 90s and went to campus recently. She said that had she been dropped off blindfolded, she wouldnt have even guessed she was in Houston.

2 Likes

She’s exaggerating a tad.

I went to law school at UH from 1994 to 1997, and lived on campus.

There are a lot of new buildings, but a lot of buildings were around then as well. The campus isn’t unrecognizable.

BTW, the law school was hard to get into back then. USNEWS Top 50 actually.

1 Like

Agree 100% . Renu is committed to AAU. Houston will be a top 50 public research university by the end of the decade.

2 Likes