Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

B12 would get stuck with Oregon St and WSU once Oregon and UW get the B10 invite.

4 Likes

Oregon State and Washington State would go to the MWC. There is no need for us to travel that far for a game and no one on the west coast is watching it.

2 Likes

Oregon State and Wazzu have no business being P5. Especially Wazzu.

2 Likes

I can see the state legislatures trying to get involved to keep the family together, but I’m not sure little brother has as much clout as big brother.

Even so, make the buyout make them think twice. Or reduce the buyout contingent on a B10 B12 agreement for non-conference games.

We need to actually get more fans to show up to games than Washington State and Oregon State do on a regular basis before we can talk trash about who belongs in the P5 and who doesn’t. Oregon State is the largest university in a growing state and Washington State not only gets people to trek to the middle of nowhere to attend their games but puts up better TV numbers than most of the schools we are presently pursuing. No, we don’t need to invite them if preferable programs are available, but the idea that they are beneath us is not well founded.

In any event, if they get left behind the MWC will come to them rather than vice-versa. More precisely a bunch of MWC teams and some Texas AAC teams most likely.

6 Likes

I certainly think Oregon State has an outstanding athletic program, with real good FB, BB and baseball
but they just dont seem to fit what we are looking for
we will add schools that are strong state schools, high profile athletics, and that will add new viewers to TV plan, and bring us into the far southwest (west of Texas) and the Rockies.

1 Like

Where would OSU and Wazzu be without P5 money and schedule? MWC.

FWIW I agree.

Pac 12 board releases statement amid Big 12, expansion rumors - Sports Illustrated

“The Pac-12 expects to strike a new media rights deal in the “very near future” and remains “united” to one another, the presidents of the 10 remaining members announced in a joint statement on Monday.”

Insert Baghdad Bob meme here.

8 Likes

The travel adding AZ, AZ St., OR, OR St., WA and WA St. is overblown. If you have East, Central and West Subdivisions, you can limit the number of games each Subdivision plays against the other Subdivisions. Maybe have each Subdivision play one of two games each of the other Subdivisions. That way, most of the travel is within a team’s geographic region. Each team in the SEC does not play each other every year. It can be done.

Put them in a G5 conference they become a G5 team, definitionally. But like Cincinnati they probably land at the top or rise there quickly (and probably do better there than we did in the AAC). They didn’t end up P5 by accident. There aren’t many land grant universities at the G5 level and the few that exist are mostly small-population states or special cases.

Travel is only a bit of it. Two time zones away is both a positive and a negative. But mostly it’s just a culture class. Despite their protestations I think the corner schools will feel at home in the Big 12 (and as urban flagships culturally are kind of a bridge between our farm schools and city schools). Just don’t feel that way about Oregon, Oregon State, and Washington. (Washington State actually does fit, in a way.)

I’m a bit nervous about inviting instability. That said, I think there are actually a lot of combinations that would actually improve the conference, and few that wouldn’t (or would do more harm than good).

You don’t make a statement like this unless there’s truly is an underlying problem with unity.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/jlkurtz/status/1625266824781635584

I think it could be exactly what it appears to be. I could see them seeing articles that they believe inaccurately paint a picture of turmoil and believing this is the best way to address that. This would be consistent with that.

It would also be consistent with doom, though.

This actually nudges me a bit towards “Bumpy road right now, but they’ll be fine.”

Yesterday I was at 50/50, today I’m at 60/40

Still proud to be a pac-12 wildcat, sun devil, buffalo, duck, etc

1 Like

Everybody in the PAC gets cold feet and they eventually take whatever media deal is finalized no matter how inadequate. They will tell themselves they are pioneering streaming and it’ll pay off down the road. Maybe it will, but if streaming is the true future, everyone’s media deals will reflect that next time around.

ADDED

I assume he’s joking, but it took me a second or two to decide that he probably was.

4 Likes

Monty & Jake had enough.
Roasting PAC Comm.
Monty is only 49 ?

Dodd

https://twitter.com/MikeVorkunov/status/1625264890565869569
Still should be $ for the PAC but $______ ?