Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

All you have to do is see our schedule next year…We play Tech, Baylor, TCU and Okie state…we play them because they are our logical every year rivals…That ISNT going to change, particularly since it appears there will be no expansion in near future.

The AZ prez did something really interesting. He said why leave for a couple of million more a year. That tells me this is substantially about money. The fact that he prefaced it tells me he’s got his eyes down the road and Kliavkof has to find a way to reel him back. Very nuanced but telling.

And if its not entirely about money he’s prepared to cloak it in that. Either way, if their package is substantially less I think he pulls the trigger.

2 Likes

This is what appeals to Arizona President. He showed his hand here.

“I personally liked the idea … of forming the Pac-20, or the Big Pac — whatever you’d want to call it,” he said. “I thought it would have been really cool. But it got very complicated.”

He prefers a merger, with pac12 and big12 footprint, which indicates he is not comfortable staying in a pac12 reloaded with G5 schools.

2 Likes

The usual suspects.

1 Like

Harvard and Yale do not offer athletic scholarships.

Looking out there and seeing Utah fans say “Big XII would be better if they did not grasp at those 4 lesser schools” is cementing my disdain for the Utes.

6 Likes

Extra funny when they are linked to SMU and SDSU lol

7 Likes

They also don’t charge tuition if your family income is under 75k, and basically sliding scale up to 150k. 83% of the population.

If ASU does join B12, it’ll be interesting that the B12 will have 2 schools with same hand-sign. We already have another set of Cougars. Now we have someone using our hand-sign.

Is this true of all of Ivy League? I had a friend play for Princeton back in the day and I’m pretty sure he mentioned being on athletic scholarship.

Not only does the Ivy League not offer athletic scholarships, they don’t offer any sort of merit-based scholarships at all. All financial aid awarded by Ivy League schools is need-based. It’s not uncommon for Ivy League students to get private merit scholarships, though.

1 Like

They’ll accept Army ROTC scholarship money though.

1 Like

Yeah, they’ll accept external scholarships, but they’re not giving anything themselves. They’re not, i.e., Hillsdale, who won’t accept any government-issued financial aid, incl. the GI Bill or Federal Student Loans.

I must be wrong about the athletic scholarship. He ended up hurting his back and had to stop playing football and left Princeton. If I recall, ended up graduating from Cal.

Lol! Well there are a limited number of hand signs that can be done so yes some of them are going to be duplicated.

Maybe we won’t have to worry about it if the PAC10 agrees tontheir TV deal.

Everything the PAC presidents are saying is predicated on the numbers being in the same ballpark as the Big XII. I think if they’re within 5-7 Million after all is said and done, including paybacks to Comcast, I think they’ll stick together. But if it’s low to mid 20’s, there might be some sharp elbows getting to the door.

and you will see athletes get these “need based” scholarships

Fwiw, Ivy League (and other elite school) policies about need-based aid are extremely generous, and that doesn’t just go for athletes. For example, students from households at the median income in Texas (~$64000/yr) would be able to attend Harvard (including Housing, Food, etc.) for $3500/yr, and that $3500/yr would be covered by a work-study program. Zero debt, zero parent contribution. And that’s not even factoring in that students that qualify for the Ivy League are also likely able to earn outside scholarships.

No, but they do have “leadership” scholarships if you can throw a football 60 yards or happen to be an all-state player woth a 1600 SAT score.

If they wanted to offer athletic scholarships the same way Alabama does, they have the means to do so.