Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

CAL? ROTFLMAO!

1 Like

Was only asking because ASU’s attitude sucks and I’ve got a younger sibling at Cal so selfishly I’d have liked it because I could have some fun sibling smack talk

Honestly, who cares about attitude right now.

Everything is happening so fast, so of course emotions are involved.

Everyone will adjust over time.

Maybe UH can welcome ASU to Texas with a UH game that starts at 1 o clock in September on one of those 90/90 days?

3 Likes

Scheer doesn’t BS, and he doesn’t report. He investigates. If he’s says it, it’s because multiple people have confirmed it, or he has a direct source.

I’ve been his moderator on 3 sites over 18 years. He’s the best there is on information because he’s not reactionary, and doesn’t care about being first. Just right.

17 Likes

Jason Scheer went toe to toe with ESPN and Mark Schlabach, poking holes in the Ayton/Miller/Dawkins timeline within the first 48 hours of the report, and was the first to report IARP was unlikely to deliver any sanctions against Arizona or Miller when ESPN and The Athletic were clamoring for blood.

He doesn’t need to weasel his way into the spotlight.

He is the spotlight. If the news is worthy enough, he shines the light on it.

Dude also undercover broke Tim Floyd to Arizona in 2009 by going undercover, exposing a secret plane flight and meeting.

He’s legit for 15 years.

10 Likes

Yea

So does he need to be reigned in on OSU /SDSU? They come in at half shares. In Yormark I trust.

P.S. The word is ESPN wants more PST slots. I guess he’s trying to fulfill their wishes

If you can find me a single solitary incident where he looked for a spotlight with bullcrap information, do it. Link it. Otherwise you’re the one spewing unsupported conjecture.

BTW, a little premium info, multiple programs 247 reporters confirming Yormark has met with all 4 Pac programs, plus several non-Pac, and has ESPN blessing on adding 2 west coast to fill out their PST slots.

Like I mentioned earlier.

Not trying to come in here and tell you what to think, but man, you all don’t know me. But I don’t abide reactionary crap. It’s why I’ve valued Scheer. He’s snarky, and keeps receipts, but I know if he’s said it, it’s double/triple confirmed or direct from the main source.

7 Likes

I mentioned this yesterday. I’m shocked it’s still being treated as surprising.

Ideal is Stanford/SDSU.

Not sure I offer 2 if I can’t bring in Stanford. SDSU is the only one after Stanford I’m intrigued by.

3 Likes

I’ve learned to in this entire incident that Scheer is truly a gold standard. I’ve been following him from the beginning of this realignment stuff and it was really refreshing to see an actual reporter who investigated and reported solid facts and sources.

5 Likes

Yah I don’t care now I was talking about before they came aboard

I was a journalist, and I taught media and journalism at the university level. Nothing in the world makes me angrier than this hot take, say it first say it loud culture where accuracy and veracity don’t matter. I’ve been openly critical of many in the Wildcat sphere of reporting, namely Greg Hansen, and a few other newbie reporters. I’ve called out their crap for 2 decades.

Not one time has Jason’s reporting ever given me pause. He always clarifies and contextualizes. He’s top shelf. He deserves bigger than the fools who parrot and get used.

8 Likes

Ya it’s annoying having people literally report on anything just incase it might be right.

Million subscribers? We saw how much espn+ jumped up from its initial offering and thank heavens for the Hulu bundle as I’m not paying $10 more a month plus a pac 12 package?

If I have:

Basic wireless package $50
Netflix $15
Hulu bundle $16

I’ll stop there as I haven’t even got to other channels

No way that model would survive unless they had built in stuff to keep it going by discounting it yearly

1 Like

I would avoid Cal. I’ve mentioned why, but quick recap, many feel they are closer to disbanding Football than prioritizing it. They already disbanded Baseball/Softball a decade ago before recently bringing it back. They have largely underachieved relative to talent pool, market, resources.

Giving lifelines to underachieving names isn’t the smart play.

They are mired in debt. You don’t marry into that crap.

2 Likes

Wazzu is also in debt I believe

Im sure they all have dept, but none of them have debt like Cal. I’ll find an article. It is absurd and I can’t believe it was allowed to happen.

Ok, Cal pays almost 19 million per year in accumulated interest payments… it won’t be principal payments until 2030, but the payment balloons, too. Basically it’s this way for 60 years.

QUOTE: Cal won’t start paying down the principal until 2032, when its yearly payments rise to $26 million, then $37 million, before tapering off in 2051. After a brief respite, Cal will owe a lump sum of $82 million in 2053 alone. Then it will have six decades to pay off the final 17 percent, or $75 million.

Given they have already cut sports in the past to save money, I don’t doubt they start trimming soon.

2 Likes

Okay so in other words: they desperately need a life raft from a power conference or they’re screwed

MWC ain’t gonna cut it

1 Like