Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

$100 million+ just 4 football build out of debt.
Annual Wazzou AD Dept operations/expenses are millions in the red.

See

Max Olson says the Big 12 isnt discussing adding SDSU/OSU

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1688402342087905281

Yeah I had a feeling that scheer tweet was questionable

If Big 12 is talking to anyone from the west coast, it would be Stanford or Cal or both. And that’s a big IF

1 Like

Like the Athletic said Oregon And Washington weren’t leaving 10 hours before they no-showed to the PAC-9 meeting because they were leaving while Scheer reported the exact opposite and it happened?

1 Like

I’m not going to pretend to know who’s right but it’s obvious someone’s blowing smoke.

There are media who report news and media who investigate news. The former get used, and content is always reactionary. The latter are steady and contextualized.

ESPN is on record as wanting more PST slots. And The Athletic wants you to believe a thorough Yormark didn’t have preliminary conversations with OSU and SDSU (in addition to previous reports on Stanford) to see what that would cost and look like and if ESPN approved? GTFOH… of course he’s been proactive. It’s how he has operated this whole time.

Similar to how UConn talks haven’t found UConn in the conference yet, not every talk will come to fruition. Scheer is reporting his sources told him talks have happened, and if they happened, it’s at a discount cost.

That lines up with everything we know is true. ESPN not Fox want PST inventory, Yormark is thorough and proactive, several West Coast teams need a lifeline and ESPN/Big12 sorting through what makes sense.

But yeah, trust the rando who works for the NYT sub magazine that has had multiple reporters be very very wrong very very often on these proceedings.

1 Like

Can you provide source regarding your comment on ESPN want PST slots?

B1G’s deal is with FOX, not ESPN. If that was true, then the SEC would’ve snagged USC and UCLA, not B1G.

Man, if you ain’t know ESPN wants West Coast PST slots, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s common knowledge ESPN wants PST inventory. You can read any tweet or article on expansion and ESPN and Pac12 and it’s in them all.

Not sure why you keep talking about Fox. I’ve explicitly said ESPN wants PST because they don’t have LA and Oregon/Washington and Arizona is only PST half the year.

I’m not even the only one saying it in this thread. It’s is common knowledge.

Unless you can send me a source then I decline to believe what you state is fact.

ESPN has the most profitable football conference in college football history with the SEC. They pretty much have at least 2 guaranteed teams in the playoffs every year and will continue to for the foreseeable future. They just added Texas and Oklahoma. They don’t need west coast teams, and it wouldn’t make any sense geographically.

There’s literally no teams on the west coast that generate money nationally outside of USC and UCLA. ESPN knows who their conference partners are, and it’s not Oregon and Washington because neither school fits with the SEC or Big 12.

They have no inventory for their late time slot. They worked with ACC as of Thursday morning to propose a merger with remaining 9 Pac12 schools to gain PST inventory. This was discussed and reported on several times over the last few days. They want late slot inventory for football and basketball.

Frankly, I don’t care if you don’t believe me.

As for Max, yeah, he’s someone with a finger on the pulse

Promoted reactionary bullcrap and then was surprised that what Scheer reported happened. This was 2 days ago.

I think ACC wanting to merge with the PAC was initially an ACC initiative, not ESPN.

Of course PAC would’ve loved to merge because they wanted to save their own butts.

Even the Big 12 wanted to merge with the PAC and the PAC declined it. Of course, PAC after losing half their conference approached the Big 12, and they got a hard NO.

The ACC is locked with ESPN until 2036, and ESPN has them at a discount. Merging with the PAC would’ve allowed the ACC to renegotiate their deal which could backfire for ESPN.

Even if ESPN were so desperate for PST slots, there’s nowhere at this point to find those slots that’s generate a lot of money. USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington are taken.

The only brands on west coast that are left is Stanford, Cal, and I guess SDSU? But SDSU isn’t joining a Power 5 team anytime soon.

Can XII do an odd number upgrade with just Stanford? Big10 had 11 teams for two decades

Yes we could theoretically, but it’s not really ideal for scheduling. However, I’m not sure how the financial aspect of this would work.

Given the PAC is ultimately dead at this point, Stanford if invited would probably not get a full share

I suppose there is some wiggle room with the way the two tweets are worded. ā€œHave hadā€ and ā€œnot discussingā€ are actually both possible. Just saw a post on another board where a poster claims that a KU insider says there have been talks but it would take months to find the money to support expansion. So a little more smoke.

Personally I would just like to see the league move forward with 16.

1 Like

You are completely failing to understand that anything is better than nothing. Right now they have nothing. Scheer specifically said any addition would be at discounted rates. They aren’t giving money away.

And you’re wrong. There’s plenty of money in eyeballs and west coast has eye balls. Hell, LA schools don’t even lead the conference in TV eye balls.

Now, I’m in agreement, I don’t think OSU and Wazzu are worth even a prorated share. Same with Cal because they don’t even give a crap about trying to win in any major sport.

But Stanford? San Diego State? That’s different. Stanford does move the needle as far as brand, and, a SDSU/Arizona game or SDSU/Utah game, or SDSU/Stanford game does generate west coast eyeballs. They have a good rowdy fanbase, especially in basketball, and are highly successful in football and basketball. Give them and their SoCal market bigger exposure and more resources, then, yeah, for a discount price, I’m exploring that.

Scheer also reported yesterday UConn still wasn’t out of it. Could be maybe just 1 West Coast and 1 East Coast, and maybe leverage UConn into ESPN paying more for SDSU or Stanford.

ESPN wants UConn taken care of. So, smart business is one West Coast for added inventory now, plus UConn.

Sure, we spitballing here, but it’s off known facts and reported scenarios.

I don’t trust reactionary media. Max is reactionary media.

1 Like

Even if I agreed with you, which I’m not saying I don’t fully disagree, I have a hard time seeing all Big 12 presidents and ADs unanimously voting to bring in another G5 school even if it’s SDSU.

SDSU coming into the Big 12 may add some SoCal market value, but it would still benefit SDSU more than it does the overall conference. Also, recent athletic success isn’t always determinant of a P5 invite.

Yormark wants UConn for basketball. Not football. I understand SDSU’s success recently in basketball, but UConn is a bigger basketball brand than half of the current Big 12 schools already and is also bigger than SDSU. SDSU would join the Big 12 for all sports.

Why do you keep saying Cal is a brand? They aren’t. They are bottom of the conference in major sports, have cut Baseball more recently than won at it, and have gone through coaches left and right. They aren’t a brand.

SDSU is literally 8th in the nation in cumulative win percentage in football and basketball since 2010.

They just opened a new football stadium because they outgrew their old one. They were National Runner Up in basketball. OK, they aren’t ā€œnational brandā€ā€¦. You don’t need national at 8 pm PST. That is 11 pm out East. No east coast casual is watching at those times. Only their dedicated fanbase and west coast casuals. And SDSU has more of a brand and following and competitive track record out west.

I don’t know why you are so down on SDSU, but it’s foolishness. They could be a sleeping giant. And even if they aren’t, they have a decade+ of proven competitiveness and postseason basketball success.

I would love to get Stanford if we’re adding west. Oregon St would be my next choice. Gonzaga for basketball would make more sense with OSU.

  1. If it adds anymore context - I’m not advocating for Cal independently. I would only invite Cal if we also invited Stanford first. However, I would accept Stanford independently.

  2. Again, I’m not crapping on SDSU. I’m simply trying to view this from the perspective of the conference. To be frank - we (Houston) were in roughly the same predicament as SDSU was for 20+ years. Houston had success in athletics as a G5 and were considered a ā€œsleeping giantā€. The difference is, Houston, along with UCF, Cincy and BYU got invited to the Big 12 conference primarily to save the damn thing. If Bowlsby didn’t invite us, then the PAC would’ve been in the exact position that the Big 12 is in now; picking off whoever they pleased as well as probably extending an invite to SDSU.

Your first line is too all over the place for me to understand. You might agree but don’t fully disagree?

Anyways, it doesn’t matter if Yormark has support of the ADs is ESPN is paying for the addition and it’s discounted. You do your due diligence and look into that situation.

You’re arguing like Scheer said they were joining. The dude stressed ā€œpreliminaryā€ talks. As in, IF something happened, what it would look like.

You have desperate teams looking for a lifeline. You listen. You get needs/wants on paper, you take that to financial backer, aka ESPN, and you assess cost/benefit.

That’s his job.

Scheer reported he did his job with 2 specific schools in preliminary measures and everyone lost their minds.

LMAO

I also definitely heard Yormark wants UConn and is willing to bring them in for all sports. Now, you may be plugged in more than I, and I don’t think it’s an initial play to make, but if ESPN wants UConn, leverage that and make them foot the bill entirely for that West Coast PST slot add they want.

Or at least have the conversation.