"BIG" What If?

Well Mike, I’m not going to look them up and compare them to UH….Not sure why the hostile attitude but ok.

I wasn’t even bringing UH into the conversation…. My comment is based on some of the boys I have coached and how lax some of the standards for getting in were…. I know LSU and Ole Miss, Miss St. and Arky were pretty easy to get in to.

And since you mentioned UH, my understanding is that it has become much more difficult to get admitted than in the past.

3 Likes

Yee hath breached the hidden Tiger ramparts of Mike, Son of Yeoman, Heir to the throne of Les Miles. Prepare to be vanquished, yee!!!

1 Like

I am not hostile toward you, but I am tired of people running down other schools without basis. Everything I can find on the academic ratings of the SEC schools show them all ranking higher than UH except maybe one or two rated the same as us. It’s this stereotyping a region of the country as a bunch of ignorant yokels that bothers me. Heck, I could go to areas of Texas and find folks that would also fit that stereotype, but it would not be a fair representation of our population.

It’s like a post in another thread that runs down the Colorado Buffs attendance when they averaged over 45K for the last 5 years. Why do that? Can’t we just be pro UH without trying to tear down thers.

Well I was born and lived in the South my entire life……probably always will.

I made a simple comment based on experience…. Not quite sure how you got to stereotyping regions as “ ignorant yokels”.

My comment only had to do with someone in a previous post mentioned that all of the SEC was AAU and that did not sound correct.

I would make the same comment about Texas ST., SAM or SFA based on getting kids into school from my experience.

Maybe don’t use such a broad brush.

1 Like

Everyone’s a little edgy right now.

Let me take the edge off…

3 Likes

For some reason I thought you were in in San Antonio or somewhere in Tx vs in the south

1 Like

I am.

When I say South I include Texas, especially south and southeast Texas…. Just going off geographical map…. Didn’t necessarily mean Dixie land.

1 Like

You’re right, that was a broad brush. But so was you statement, “I was wondering about that……several SEC schools have fairly low academic standards.”

I looked at all kinds of rankings and could not find anything that ranks all colleges except the US News and World Report College rankings. I know some don’t like that, but like I said it’s all I could find that didn’t stop at 50 or 100. Here’s their 2022 rankings of all current SEC teams:

#14 Vanderbilt, #28 Florida, #46 Tennessee, #48 Georgia, #68 Texas A&M, #99 Auburn, #117 South Carolina, #122 Missouri, #127 Kentucky, #148 tie Alabama and Ole Miss, #162 Arkansas, #172 LSU, #196 Mississippi State

UH is ranked #179.

There are other rankings you could find that may have different metrics and different rankings, but this will give a pretty good idea that the SEC schools are pretty good.

I don’t care to check on the other schools because I don’t care but regarding your LSU tigers, it takes a 3.43 gpa and 1180 SAT to get in. To get into UH you need a 3.73 gpa and 1225 SAT. So, Pollard is right about that school at least.

3 Likes

A start but based on this thread and a few others tonight, you have a lot of work to do…

Getting in isn’t the problem, getting out is. At one time, anyone who graduated from an accredited high school in Louisiana could get into LSU, but about 68% flunked out by mid-term of the 1st semester and 75% flunked out by the end of the 1st semester. But having gone to LSU for 2 1/2 years, I can say that I thought UH was a better school than LSU, but LSU was tougher because the faculty didn’t care much about the students and a lot of classes were taught by the prof’s graduate assistant to free the prof for research.

You still have quite a bit of tiger in ya, don’t ya mike? :joy:

3 Likes

Well, my sister graduated from there as well as some very close friends and relatives, and I went there for 2 1/2 years. So yes, I still have a soft spot for them, but I am a Coog first and foremost, the Tigers are a distant 2nd. Growing up in Baton Rouge I have respect for the SEC as well.

2 Likes

Isn’t LSU a huge party school? Maybe that’s why they’re all flunking out.

2 Likes

Yes, LSU is a huge party school, but aren’t most public schools?

Maybe they party a little bit harder over there and can’t manage their classwork. I doubt their classes are just harder than classes at UH. But anyways, it’s irrelevant.

No, they party a lot harder over there. :grin:

2 Likes

3 Likes

The AAU has expelled Syracuse, Nebraska, and Iowa State while adding others. Schools with poor AAU metrics such as Oregon may be next.

Down the road if the final scenario is 2 say 20 school conferences, then we best hope the Big10 has an appetite for the Texas market regardless of ATM and UT and choses UH for membership

3 Likes