Boise not happy with MWC contract

You add BSU/BYU its an autobid for a NY6 bowl lock IMHO…and def CFP if they go undefeated (unless of course there are 4 other undefeated power teams then it gets dicey).

If those two come the conference would want to grab one more to make an even 14. AF or SDS would be nice. Then you got 7 teams you’re looking for. Navy to the East yep.

West - BSU, BYU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU + AFA or SDS

That’s a decent upgrade to what UH faces now and some good draws for home games.

5 Likes

If our AAC could pick up Bowl Games in Las Vegas and San Diego that would be really nice

4 Likes

IDK, but any of the bowls that gets lower seeded P5 might be interested in a higher seeded AAC team. Example B12 #5 goes to the Liberty Bowl. I bet Liberty bowl would rather have an AAC #2 in the realignment scenario. One of the other G5 bowls changing tie-in is also possible.

I support any move that bumps Navy to the east.

8 Likes

Okay, so thinking things over, this may still be part of a (now very loud) negotiation. Boise State was making noise about demanding an increase in their own contract carve-out in tandem with the conference’s. If they got it, that would give them about $9.4m per year ($3.9m base from the conference, and their special payout increases to $5.4m).

So to re-calibrate the discussion they vote to eliminate it altogether. Thompson’s language is not insistent on equal payouts, but demanding it as a starting point to negotiations probably seemed logical.

Boise State pulling the trigger on the lawsuit may be similar.

Decent chance this ends up about where it started, with Boise State getting a couple million more than everyone else.

Either that or everybody in the room is as arrogant as they appear and things have indeed blown up.

2 Likes

Dont need a 3rd. I’d trade the knee choppers for Boise in a heartbeat. I’m sure our players would too.

4 Likes

This is the beginning of the end of Boise State in the MWC. Even if they kiss and make up, there will be bad blood between Boise State and the other MWC schools.

3 Likes

The blood has more or less always been bad. Boise’s relationship with that conference has always been more blatantly transactional than usual (in both directions, predating the current membership roster).

4 Likes

Ditto…News Flash…literally everyone in the MW hates Boise State. Nevada only cares about 2 games…Boise and UNLV.

2 Likes
  1. How the #### did the MWC just assume that Boise would ignore their contract? I’ve never seen that level of legal negligence.

2. Boise would be a great addition if the AAC could handle the geography.

4 Likes

The question then becomes, would the AAC really want Boise State? On one hand, their presidents and athletics directors could make the argument that they don’t really need the Broncos and all the potential drama that seems to follow in their wake. Even without Boise State, the AAC is generally perceived as the best Group of Five league and its champion has gotten the lucrative New Year’s Six bowl game bid in four of the last five years.

At the same time, there are complications. Shortly after the AAC negotiated a new television deal with ESPN last year that would have boosted the per-school distribution to around $7 million a year, UConn bolted, opening up a provision that would allow the network to renegotiate terms. That bit of uncertainty, according to multiple people with knowledge of the matter, still hasn’t been resolved. It’s possible that adding a football brand like Boise State would not only make up for the value lost by UConn basketball but potentially increase it.

2 Likes

Other than football, what does Boise State have to offer the AAC?

2 Likes

A permanent bowl alignment with the Idaho Potato bowl. :laughing:

But seriously, that bowl payout was $800K per team.

5 Likes

They would likely only be coming over for football.

At least, that was the offer last time and we needed them more then than we do now.

This is when I wave my hands and jump up and down to the P5s realignment time better add some schools all you P5s Boise is the bat signal because um I don’t know it just is. P5s you there? Bueller?

3 Likes

I suppose Boise State football is more valuable than UConn basketball which could add to the bottom line of AAC schools payout. Interesting.

But would we want to give them a full $7M if they don’t bring their other revenue sport, basketball? That would mean we are giving them extra benefits like what MWC did.

On the other hand, they would spend quite a bit more on traveling to AAC schools.

Back in the early 90s, the track team would travel to Boise every year for a track meet.

Peer league? In biased media circles only.

1 Like

What do we give Wichita State? Take the regular payout, subtract that, and that’s what we should give Boise.

Ideally.

In practice, it may be worth it to give them an equal share because we don’t actually want the rest of their sports.

2 Likes

Nope. No additions unless ESPN gives each team more. We earned it and are without doubt P6.

7 Likes