Boise not happy with MWC contract

I don’t want them.

4 Likes

Be very careful in what you wish for in BYU.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/MWCwire/status/1220058152894205952?s=19

3 Likes

I notice that BS U filed in a homer court in Boise.

3 Likes

I read the lawsuit.

The TV contract as written is not the issue, but rather that at the time the vote was taken to accept the TV contract a vote was also taken on whether to terminate Boise State’s special treatment after this contract. Since Boise State did not vote “Yes” on either (it’s not even clear they were present) they did not meaningfully consent to the change in structure.

I’m not sure what MWC’s argument is here.

We dont NEED Boise…We dont WANT Boise…We are already the best G5 and it is not even close…As for BYU, they were a good partner when we both were trying to get in Big 12, and would continue to be so…I would bring in BYU…Boise?? Sorry, NO…

1 Like

We would take Boise in a heartbeat. Truthfully if we are taking Boise take AF and SD State and be done with it.

1 Like

We KNOW for sure, both Boise and Air Force isn’t happy. Mountain West may be losing members soon. Not saying they are coming to the AAC, but that cradle has been rocked!

2 Likes

They are coming. The question is does it entice BYU to come along. My gut feeling says yes because this gives the AAC an NY6 bowl every year.

2 Likes

Remember when Tulane was In the SEC? That conference wasn’t really all that special back in the day.

If we added some of these Western schools and ESPN expands the contract, AAC is what people see for the next 10 years because we’re not playing on the B10 network or SEC network. People in bars and restaurants nationwide will be watching AAC regularly and guaranteed by next contract negotiation we will be a very valuable commodity and the only conference that spans the entire country.

5 Likes

My #HotTake is that when all is said and done Boise State will still be a member of the MWC.

The Mountain West Conference needs Boise State, and BSU has no better alternatives (we aren’t letting them keep a separate TV deal either).

2 Likes

Their separate deal pays them less than what we are making. They are coming.

4 Likes

^^^This

2 Likes

Remember last month Aresco said they were talking to ESPN about whether to add a team (or more) to replace UGonn? It’s been radio silence since on what ESPN was going to pay us sans the Huskies.

It’s always dangerous to cross ESPN. Recall the MWC left ESPN for their latest deal.

Would it be beneath ESPN to intentionally poach their best team(s), effectively neuter the MWC and bolster the AAC?

Oh wait …

3 Likes

The MWC’s bowl payout system is also lopsided in their favor (the team that goes keeps a lot of the money, instead of splitting it as much as our conference does). Plus there is the “other sports” issue which will lead to either an undesirable conference (WAC or Big Sky) or rent-a-conference (Big West) which costs money.

The financials might favor us a bit (or might not even) but everything else favors their current conference.

That depends on what our ESPN TV deal will be worth with Boise (et. al.) added, which is coincidentally on hold and on pretty strict radio silence since last month.

2 Likes

ESPN loves Boise and I believe they lose Boise with the new MWC Fox /CBS deal. ESPN just signed a new deal with BYU in December. ESPN could be a willing partner to fold Boise & BYU into the AAC as football only without lowering the existing amounts current AAC schools receive and make BYU/Boise happy with their share; maybe even get a slight bump across the board. Toss in some preferred OOC scheduling for other sports for good measure. BYU might be willing to jump as access to NY6 is unobtainable for independents not named Notre Dame. Bump Navy to the East and you have two 7 team divisions.

The additions would likely add 1-2 bowl tie-ins and increase NY6 probabilities. Dare I say it, but on a good conference year and the right OOC schedule, an undefeated champ might get consideration for CFP

EDIT - Math is wrong, forgot to drop UConn. Need a 3rd or Boise only to likely work.

5 Likes

Which bowl games would it add?

One of the MWC ones probably

I’d assume the same but there isn’t much there to get excited about. Their new top bowl in Los Angeles would be but I doubt we would land that one.