Boise St looking to make a move?

Yes 130,000 to me would be considered a small town compared to the AAC with most of its schools in metros over one million. My point is that this seems to be the standard for AAC schools to be located in large TV markets.

1 Like

Both Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins are closer to Denver than Greenville is to Raleigh. They’re also both independently larger than Wichita.

1 Like

Correct, but that’s why I said most of AAC schools are in metros larger than one million.

Both of those locations you mentioned are about 1 hour away from Denver but the University of Colorado is 30 minutes away which is practically in the suburbs.

1 Like

Those small towns fill their stadiums unlike us with 6 million people in the area and we average 30K at best, that is one of the MAIN reasons we are stuck in G5

1 Like

Yes those schools that fill their stadiums are Power 5 schools in those small towns and most are state flagship schools. I believe Boise State is the only G5 school that is a state flagship that is worth it.

Boise is not their state flagship university.

1 Like

Colorado Springs is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and with the amount of defense industry centered there, they get pretty good market capture. Far more of an asset in those terms than Annapolis.

Colorado State isn’t in Denver but that’s where their alumni are. They’re the state’s land grant university with a student population of 30,000 (and a more traditional student body at that). They aren’t a “Fort Collins” school the same way we are a Houston one or Memphis is a Memphis school. They’re a state school in the real sense.

Air Force is a military academy. Their fanbase formula is inherently different. We don’t have Navy for the Annapolis market.

Boise is the largest school in the state, albeit not a large state. From a market standpoint, they’re the worst. But they’re competitive and have a good brand.

I’m against trying to expand west again unless it involves BYU (or AFA/Army as a package deal), but as far as western candidates go they are (with SDSU) the strongest and each have something to offer.

1 Like

Well which university in Idaho is the state flagship school?

Edit: Just looked it up. The University of Idaho was the flagship university of Idaho until 2012 but the board of education stripped that term from them because they did not want any of their universities feeling superior over the other.

Although nothing is formal, the Idaho media refers to Boise State as the flagship university.

1 Like

Why not be bold?

Ask former Big East schools to return and go for a much bigger TV contract.

How about Louisville, W. Va., Pitt, Syracuse, and B.C.?

Won’t know unless you try.

I’m curious, what’s your sales pitch to the former Big East schools?

Not to be insulting, but I can’t think of a single real point that would convince them to leave the ACC

4 Likes

So, they both get trophies ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I am sure that the presidents and ADs of any of those schools would laugh in your face if you asked them to leave the AAC in hopes of getting a better deal. The BORs of their respective schools would laugh in the face of any president or AD that suggested such a thing.

Why not ask Bama, UGA, and LSU to leave the SEC while you’re at it.

1 Like

Isn’t one of the big drawbacks with BYU joining any conference is that they do not want to participate in Sunday games?

1 Like

Agreed, heck while we’re at it, let’s build a time machine and tell the UH AD in the 70’s to tell the SWC to pound sand and go to the SEC. If they don’t listen let’s go back to the early 90’s and beat Bob Bullock with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges.

For the reference.

3 Likes

Can’t do that unless you have this:

Just don’t go too far back to meet your mom:

1 Like

When it comes to basically everything but sports, the University of Idaho is a substantially better school than Boise. It’s very clearly the flagship university of the system, even if it doesn’t bear that formal name. Boise is about as much of a flagship as Fresno.

2 Likes

I enjoy reading people laughing about schools changing conferences.

While ignoring comments about the $money.

If Louisville could still make the same $money why do they want The ACC?

In football they merely play to get demolished by Clemson every year. In the future once National Powers Miami and Fla. State might come back to glory.Then they have zero chance of ever winning that conference.

In basketball they get UH and Cincy as new foes.

Negotiate the $money, then try it.

Otherwise continue the decades of endless drivel about The Big 12 and The PAC 12.

Try something different.

BYU, Boise, and UNLV (Vegas Baby! And the Fertitta’s)

2 Likes

UNLV road trips! Yea to UNLV

2 Likes