*Boom* Walk-On Sherman Smith Running Back & Athlete

AWESOME. The Katy and Katy Tompkins are great programs, and the coaches at Tompkins are pure class. Bet your son is coming well prepared for life and ready to play! Can’t wait to see him in Cougar Red!

Fwiw, I’ve seen your son play and this is exciting!

4 Likes

Some of the greatest College and NFL players were walk-ons and un-drafted. Something about not getting noticed seems to motivate these guys just that much more.

Congratulations to your son and lets hope he is the next Stetson Bennett only this case as a RB.

3 Likes

This guy could be an offensive version of Elandon Roberts.

8 Likes

It was always great having Twinmom post about her son. It’s great having another parent to post. Give us insights about his journey as a Coog.
I hope he loves being at U of H.

12 Likes

Congratulations. Way to go, Sherman. The very best of luck to you.

1 Like

We kind have started a pipeline to recruit walk-ons from greater Houston area and I can definitely see us getting some hidden gems.

3 Likes

My nephew told me about this walk on story,

3 Likes

Dear SherMom !
Welcome to our world . Please post what you can about Sher without getting cross-wise with the coaches and players. You are part of the UH family now.
Go Coogs !

1 Like

We may of lost a mom in DP’s mum in here but gained another in @Alisha130303 :hugs:

Welcome aboard!!!

5 Likes

I don’t think TwinMom will stay away!! :grinning:

5 Likes

May have

What about Jake Herslow? My all-time favorite walk-on. Here’s an article about how he came into the UH football program being an unknown and unexpected nobody who just showed up and simply asked for an opportunity to prove himself. He ended up being one of Tune’s most trusted receivers and forming a tight friendship and a practice partner for Tune to boot. I love the stories about these walk-ons as I was a walk-on myself when I moved to a new school and had to prove myself to earn a starting position on the football team.

8 Likes

Still, Elandon Roberts is in a class by himself.

Walk-on who went on to lead the NATION in unassisted tackles on a 13-1 Top Ten team, and then became an NFL team Captain.

10 Likes

Did Robert’s walk-on after transferring from Morgan State?

1 Like

I am assuming so, based on this, but I could be wrong.

This doesn’t say he was a walk-on, but it does say that his only FBS offer was a greyshirt from U-La-La, and that after Morgan State, he pretty much had to recruit himself to UH.

Quote:: Roberts’ ultimate Super Bowl underdog story began as a senior at Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial High School, when his best college offer came as a greyshirt at Louisiana-Lafayette. Roberts declined, accepted a scholarship at FCS Morgan State and began a meandering journey where he’s bullied his way to an NFL career.

Too short? Too small? Too bad. Roberts emerged as so valuable and violent, so reliable and productive, that teams at every level along the way couldn’t ignore him. It started at Morgan State, when he led the team in tackles and earned All-American honors. He then essentially recruited Houston to recruit him, transferring there after one semester at Morgan and led major college football in solo tackles as a senior.

1 Like

This bleacher report article has this…

“Roberts said plenty of big schools came calling, but he chose Houston in large part because of the opportunity to play near his hometown in front of family and friends. He credits that decision with helping him grow and mature, both on and off the field.”

Plus I’ve seen him on a list of signees for 2013(?). I think he was recruiting us to offer him. I suppose could have been pwo but I’ve never thought of him being a walk-on.

As a former Katy Tiger myself and still a follower I was sad to see Sherman leave. I understand why he did but I knew when he came in late there was great depth and he kept the game exciting. Happy to see him join the Cougars, family.

4 Likes

Welcome Sherman Smith to The University of Houston Cougars!

Go Coogs!

1 Like

Congratulations and best of luck to your son. Hope he makes the best of this opportunity!!

1 Like

He tried to walk on last year and there were some eligibility issues. He continued to keep himself in condition while clearing the issues holding him back. He could have gone juco or fcs but he wants to be a Cougar. I have no doubt that he will give it his absolute best every day. I am looking foward to watching him and his career at UH.

8 Likes