Brian Johnson to ULL?

1 Like

Don’t forget Manti Te’o’s girlfriend

2 Likes

4 Likes

lol I bet if you were playing linebacker against it you couldn’t stop it. Knowing it’s coming and stopping it are two different things. No one ever complains when it works. Those long runs from Catalon and Car this year came on base run plays. The same run plays that the defenses “knew” were coming. What run plays would you like to see instead, specifically?

3 Likes

Not all of us are. Anyone on that Baylor staff who knew of even one allegation of rape could have called the police.

3 Likes

Regardless of who calls the plays, offensive execution needs to get much better. WRs need to block all the time and line needs to be able to control the line of scrimmage.

Do that and they’ll be successful. No fairy dust needed, no magic play caller.

5 Likes

Have you seen this? Disgraced (2017) | SHOWTIME

Standing up for what you believe in is considered wrong even amongst coaches. If KB knew about it he felt determined not to say a thing. Screw him.

"On August 16, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that Bliss told players to lie to investigators by indicating that Patrick Dennehy had paid for his tuition by dealing drugs. These conversations were taped on microcassette by assistant coach Abar Rouse from July 30 to August 1. On the tapes, Bliss was heard instructing players to fabricate the story of Dennehy being a drug dealer to the University’s investigative committee and also said that talking to the McLennan County, Texas Sheriff’s Department would give him the opportunity to “practice” his story. The tapes also showed that Bliss and his staff knew that Dennehy had been threatened by two of their teammates when they publicly denied such knowledge. Rouse taped the conversations after Bliss threatened to fire him if he did not go along with the scheme.[10]

The revelations shocked the school and the college basketball community. However, despite the potential allegations of extortion, obstruction of justice and witness tampering, no criminal charges were filed against Bliss.

After Baylor, Rouse worked as a graduate assistant coach at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. He left the position in October 2007, and has not had another basketball job since; he has said that he has been blackballed for taping Bliss’s statements.[15] Despite the near-universal revulsion at Bliss’s actions, many leading members of the college basketball coaching fraternity considered Rouse’s recordings a serious breach of trust – for example, Mike Krzyzewski said that if he ever found out one of his assistants had been secretly taping him, “there’s no way he would be on my staff”.[15] Jeff Ray, the Midwestern coach who hired Rouse, commented: “I’m right in the middle of it, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes the things you see are pretty disgusting. Why is there this black cloud hanging over him? He did nothing wrong. To me, this is all a testimony to the sad state of affairs of our profession.”

1 Like

Most important part of the offense. You nailed it.

SMH

This is actually his 3rd OC job. He was OC but lost play calling responsibilities at Utah and Mississippi State prior to be hired by UH.

If me or you were playing linebacker those run up the middle plays would be going for TD’s but we are not and they work about 15% of the time. I won’t sit here and review game film to try to figure out why it’s not working. We have a coach named Johnson that should do that and he does a poor job of either evaluating the execution, blocking or Predictability of his offense.

2 Likes

In this article, they list only Scelfo from UH as a candidate:
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2017/12/03/next-ul-lafayette-football-coach/917072001/

You don’t need a lot of plays and formations. You do need to call the play the defense isn’t expecting and you need to execute it.

Growing up in Ohio in the 70’s I was forced to watch The OSU every weekend. Saw a couple games live too. Up through 1975, they had probably 10 plays they ran. Tailback (Archie Griffin) off OG to either side, Archie off OT to either side, Archie wide (pitch or hand-off, same basic play) either side, Pete Johnson off OG to either side, and Pete off OT to either side.

And that was it. Blocking scheme sometimes changed, straight ahead, trap, maybe pull a lineman or two on sweeps. Formation rarely varied. usually two in the backfield with a wingback. Sometimes they’d go full-house on short yardage.

I am not trying to turn this into a political discussion but why did it take so long for all these members of our very own congress to get turned in. Obviously their staffs knew what they were doing. Should the members of these congressmen’s staffs never work again. How about the members of that news anchors staff?

1 Like

I’m not cool with any decision as a means to an end. Values are never out of vogue.

2 Likes

Idk man, I’m not too old to make a tackle. lol Touchdowns on those runs would be nice, but they are not the intended goal. The goal is to get into second and manageable, set the line quickly, and see if you can get a play off before the defense knows what your’re doing. Them having to run a bunch of “check with me” this year on second down is a testament of our QB depth (spitting reps between 3 QBs) and having a new OC. If we have the same starter in the spring and we don’t lose our OC, we’ll be more dangerous by design and execution. After those predicable runs, we’ll hurry up and get set, show the same look, and hurt the defense for not being able to audible in time.

Execution is a collective of all coaching positions; having guys execute blocking is not the responsibility of the OC. It’s on the O-Line coach. As mentioned before, we run a power-spread scheme and rarely perform zone-blocking (I saw some vs Navy and SMU, but very little all year).

I’m waiting on folks to call out the O-Line coach…

I can’t believe what I’m reading in this thread.

Briles is extremely divisive. End of story.

Honest question… Was anyone actually charged and convicted of criminal activity in the administration or coaching staff?

…or have the Briles’ been tried, convicted, and sentenced in the court of public opinion only?

Even if it is the latter, it could still be negative to have anyone that was affiliated with Baylor on staff. By no means am I justifying a hire just because someone didn’t actually see a court room, but at the same time, many read reports and just assume that someone is dirty without real evidential proof.

My understanding of the facts… the facts… is multiple women reported being sexually assaulted (possibly 125 cases between 2011 and 2015 campus wide - not just football) - four of those assaults included four separate accusations of “gang rape” - by football players from the Baylor team. Reportedly, 19 players had been accused in that 5-year period. Two players were actually convicted of sexual assault thus far and two more await trial, others were indicted.

At some point, Baylor hired a 3rd-party firm, Pepper-Hamilton, to investigate internally what was happening. They found (from the published portions) Baylor staffers failed to properly look into complaints, directly discouraged victims from reporting and behaved in a way that “could be perceived as victim-blaming.” The outcome of the investigation resulted in Baylor firing its head football coach, ousting the university president and accepting the athletic director’s resignation.

Under the threat of lawsuit, Baylor released a detailed account in February 2016 of the Pepper-Hamilton report. Briles and staff had tried to keep misconduct from public release as evidenced in text messages. To this point, those text messages are the only evidence that Briles acted unethically… but not illegally apparently. Briles claims that he had instructed each victim he was aware of to file reports with the police. This is corroborated in one instance by the former volleyball coach, who coached one of the victims. The fact remains, that Briles knew what was happening, but tried to hide it to avoid public fallout. Additionally, he did not suspend any players before he was absolutely forced to, allowing some of the accused players to continue to play despite verifiable accusations of sexual misconduct.

Does anyone disagree with what is stated above?

1 Like

I thought he was the co OC at both previous stops…regardless he is still considered a hot commodity by many national experts…I say give him another chance with an established quarterback and he will be just fine.