Briles and FSU

This is starting to look like something blew up.

1 Like

At this point if CKB stays it is just going to cause a lot of problems. Every single week he will be interviewed as well as other coaches about when he will be leaving. It will be a huge distraction and they will be unable to focus on football 100%. Also it’ll be harder for players to be dedicated when they know that their coach is getting ready to bail at any moment.

1 Like

Could it be somebody is reading Coogfans and trying not to disappoint or let the cat out of the bag before it is time???

Even at major programs top assistants interview for HC positions and don’t get them all the time. It’s typically not really a running topic throughout the season. Like if Todd Orlando doesn’t get the Temple HC job there aren’t going to be constant questions during media days about where he will be next year.

2 Likes

Agree to disagree. I clearly remember it being brought up multiple times with Sumlin and Herman. After Herman left, multiple players came out and stated how throughout the whole year he said he wasn’t leaving.

At major programs I agree, they don’t bring it up as often. Why? Because most top assistance are chomping at the bit to become the OC at some major program. Also they have expendable revenue to get whatever assistant they want for the most part. Look how many coaches we have supplied for teams in the big 12.

So, to me, I agree with you that it’s not a big deal at a major program, but for us it is a big deal all the time. Unfortunately this something that we have to deal with regularly.

1 Like

Hopefully, turning down Tenn. and FSU will be a positive for everything UH.

1 Like

For sure it was a running thing with Herman from halfway through is first year until he left.

I’m saying with an assistant coach it would be extremely rare to become a weekly story type of thing throughout a season. I think it’s kind of assumed they are always looking to move up, even at top programs, and nationally people just aren’t as interested in it. If someone is a hot OC/DC at a top program then the assumption is they will be moving on to become a head coach somewhere.

As far as distractions, Herman won a national championship as OC while he had already accepted his next job.

he did that with the blessings and support of UH. Too bad he did not give us the same consideration we gave him and he gave Ohio St.

1 Like

We’ll see what happens if CKB stays. We haven’t had that happen with an assistant yet, but due to our history and how we’ve had so many coaches leave here I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen with an assistant this time.

I think you can throw out that last comment, he stated that he was staying throughout the playoffs and why wouldn’t he. He had an opportunity to win a national championship. So the fact that he was staying until the end of the season even though he accepted the U of H job it’s not going to be a distraction. It would’ve been a distraction if he was like well I don’t know maybe I’ll take the job maybe I won’t will see etc. In context, it is not the same thing.

But how can Orlando stay at UT and coach the bowl and recruit if he is interviewing for Temple. Coog fans have made it clear that it must be one or the other, or how else could he possibly look a recruit in the eye.

2 Likes

I just don’t think you can sell recruits when you’re signing contracts and trying to run within 5 days.

If I were a recruit I would ask him if I should sign with UH or try to win a position at FSU or Tenn
since they’re better programs and all.

1 Like

I would say “don’t let the door hit you on your way out, I am going to UH!”

2 Likes

Really don’t care what Orlando or UT does, except I love it when they lose.

5 Likes

So “still proud to be a Houston Cougar”?

4 Likes

That’s what Davy Crockett said when he left congress, or close to it.

1 Like

I think the deal with FSU did not go down. Briles wanted Clements to coach the OL FSU said no.

Crockett said, “You may all go to hell and I will go to THE University of Houston!!! Yaaaa Wooooo!!!”

5 Likes

My coffee every weekday morning.

6 Likes

Those early Texas settlers would have fit in well at UH
 entrepreneurial spirit
not from the privileged class
over-achievers
 lots of skeletons in the closet! :joy:

6 Likes