BYU Interested in the AAC?

This. If the playoff expands to only 8 and not the 16 like they should then gives the top G5 team an auto invite…screw BYU. Don’t need them and its an easier path without them.

BYU needs to realize though that with them in the AAC we could demand an autobid ourselves.

The AAC is already better than the Pac12 IMHO. With BYU it’s not close and is on par with the B12. It would be deserving…and should sue if not given. But do with have a conference commish with the balls to do that?

1 Like

If they move to give a playoff spot to the highest G5 and the SEC offered us a spot, would you take it or would you rather stay in the AAC since it would theoretically be an easier path to the playoff? Assuming you would take the SEC invite, the answer for why we would want Boise and BYU is basically the same reason we’d want to join the SEC, just a less extreme version of it.

1 Like

SDSU was a logistical nightmare everyone was willing to deal with just 5 years ago…
We have a great relationship with SDSU and are a part time member in women’s rowing, we have a not great relationship with Boise…
I have a hard time seeing us take Boise and not SDSU

SDSU was going to be a Football-Only member of the Big East; the logistics are a lot easier when you have a full week or more between games.

If we invited a Virginia team I have a road game to go to!

IF

What if the definition of if?

Well I can only think of one thing?

Looks 4 times more powerful, competitive, and entertaining to watch than the Big12-2.

ECU and Navy are right next to Virginia… And Temple ain’t that far either. I can’t wait to go to Annapolis next time we play there!

BYU and Boise are the only strong ideas imho.

2 Likes

This is kind of like saying Tulane and Tulsa are right next to Texas. Virginia isn’t exactly a tiny state.

Yes. Boise is one of the worst destination for college football. Our goal is to get into a P5. We want to add schools? SDSU, UNLV & Colorado State would make sense and allow for a true West/East divisions.

not all that big either

1 Like

I would want UH to join the SEC, because it benefits us. UH would then be apart of the top football conference in the nation. Adding BYU and Boise to the AAC doesn’t move the needle on our conference. It would still be the top G5 conference, but still beneath the P5 conferences.

2 Likes

You want to be part of the SEC because being affiliated with better better programs gets more national exposure, helps our recruiting, helps sell tickets, helps us recruit and puts more money in our pockets.

Adding BYU and Boise moves the needle in all those respects and moves us much closer to being thought of like the ACC and Pac-12 than the MWC. It just doesn’t move the needle to the same extent being in the SEC would.

Look at it another way. Say UCF, Cincy, Boise and SDSU got the call up to the Big 12 or something. The AAC would still be a better conference than the MWC and have the same spot in the overall conference pecking order and we’d have an easier shot at winning it. Would you be happy if that happened?

1 Like

For the AAC…the one thing that sets us up for how the National Media views our conference is how well we play P5s in our non-conference schedule. And I’m talking about the whole conference…we need to be competitive.

A team like USF getting blown out by a ND last year casts a shadow on our whole conference. We need to have all of our programs be at least competitive so that a Houston or a Cincinnati or a UCF, in a good year, can point to our strong conference OOC results as proof that the AAC is legit and that playoff spot is earned

That didn’t help Cincinnati get over the hump last year…and we were part of the problem the last two+ seasons.

I see what you’re saying, but I think we disagree on the actual impact of adding BYU and Boise. I don’t think we’ll start getting better recruits because either of those teams are in conference with us. It’s not an in state ordeal, where Texas, Tech, and Baylor didn’t offer me, so I’m going to Houston to show them what they missed out on. These are teams in Utah and Idaho, I don’t think that’ll do anything for Texas recruiting.

I agree there would be more money involved, both BYU and Boise are national brands and their addition to the AAC would confirm what we already know, the AAC is the top G5 conference. If there’s a guaranteed playoff spot for the G5, our conference is getting it, with or without BYU and Boise. With them, there’s two more mouths to feed from the playoff revenue.

My big negative with BYU is, seeing Houston fans outnumbered in our home stadium was disgusting and that’s our fans’ fault for not showing up. I never want to see that again.

My big negative on Boise is they already turned their nose up at the conference once. Let them continue to reap what they sow.

BYU only. The end.

3 Likes

Agreed. It would be nice if the big time P5 programs would play the top of our conference. Everyone races to put Tulane on their ooc schedule.

Not even close… How many Virginia’s fit in TX? The point was you can drive to those games within 4 hours… Aka a road trip close to Virginia.

1 Like

Those schools dilute an already fledgling brand. Its not about recruiting. Its about brand and conference strength.