BYU Interested in the AAC?

No matter we put it the AAC is a G5 so it is a sub par conference to the P5’s.

1 Like

If byu and Boise were added, Espn would have to pay more and maybe it’s a p6 auto qualifier or worse case, we get the playoff spot 9 out of 10 times bc of the strength of the conf.

5 Likes

That kinda makes sense. Adding those 2 schools would make us look stronger as a conference in the CFP committee eyes over the other G5s but I think the committee already thinks that.

we won’t add 2, either 1 or 3.

1 Like

In my opinion Aresco should always have a good dialogue going with BYU. Even if they don’t want in now we keep communication going and help each other with scheduling.

When did BYU outnumber us in our home stadium? I’m not even sure they did that in a neutral one. The Mormons do support wherever BYU plays, which is a good thing.

This one supports the Red Cougars, wherever they play. :wink:

It was pretty close to 50/50 at NRG. I’d say 55-45 edge to us.

I didn’t attend last season but on ESPN it certainly sounded like they had more fans at TDECU than we did. Maybe all of our were in the club.

1 Like

Covid year doesn’t count

3 Likes

I’ll mostly be going to Virginia Tech games. Any weekend off, I’m finding a close game!

Unfortunately, Navy and ECU are at home. Temple game is an away game but VT that day. I’ll probably go to the Texas Tech game, and the SMU one.

1 Like

BYU would be a huge boost to the AAC. We could shoot to a much closer P6 with that move. Pull in a few more and we’re much better positioned.

1 Like

Service Academies don’t recruit the way other schools do. Every player on their roster has to have an appointment from Congress or the presidential administration.

1 Like

That’s true, but from what I’ve heard and always understood, the academies recruit Texas, specifically, pretty heavily since football players here don’t necessarily mind the service commitment afterward.

I favor adding BYU in the main but not if we have a semi-perpetual playoff spot and BYU insists on keeping its own TV contract.

Add BYU if it means more money for the AAC teams, otherwise, why?

2 Likes

BYU, Boise and Air Force would make good additions to the AAC. Would BYU accept the invite? They think VERY HIGHLY of themselves and probably think they are above the AAC.

Not really. There are several more ways to get an academy appointment. But, for sure, it isn’t easy.

But athletes are recruited and are usually brought in under appointments by the superintendent. Many will go through a one year prep school prior to starting the academy full time to make sure they can handle the acadmics.

Ways to get appointments to Naval Academy (I assume each military academy have the same):

Presidential Nomination

An unlimited number of presidential nominations are available for children and legally adopted children of career officer and enlisted personnel of the armed forces, active or reserve, including the Coast Guard.

Vice President

At any one time, five students may attend the Naval Academy based on a vice presidential nomination.

Members of Congress

Each member of Congress can have five constituents attending the Naval Academy at any time.

Navy & Marine Corps

One hundred seventy appointments are available annually to regular and reserve Navy and Marine Corps enlisted personnel.

Reserve Officers Training Corps Units

All Navy ROTC units and all Navy and Marine Corps JROTC units are eligible to nominate three candidates each.

Children of Deceased/Disabled Vets, POW, MIA

Up to 65 midshipmen may be in attendance at the academy based on nominations as children of military personnel.

Children of Medal of Honor Recipients

Candidates in this special category who are fully qualified for admission are automatically appointed.

BTW, the Naval Academy is the hardest of all of the academies to get an appointment to.

Go to the the following link to get the full breakdown of recruiting athletes:

From the article:
Most service academy fans judge their team’s success by comparing how they did against the other academies. Whoever earns the most commitments when going head-to-head with the other service academies is perceived as having the best class. It’s a decent rule of thumb, but less so than it used to be, particularly since Navy joined the American Athletic Conference. As Ken Niumatalolo said, "We’re always going to battle Army and Air Force, but we can’t use them as a benchmark. We’ve also got to worry about beating Houston. We’re trying to get kids who can help us win a championship.”

VCU is a great school academically. Huge research budget, medical school, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, etc. It also has a $2B endowment. Honestly, other than the lack of a law school, UH and VCU are basically twins.

And, as stated above, RVa is a great city. It is a food and beer lovers paradise, and is only 90 miles from DC. In fact, even though Annapolis is closer to DC in terms of mileage, it often takes less time to get to DC by car from RVa then from Annapolis, due to the traffic. RVa is also close to Colonial Williamsburg, which is a place everyone should visit.

During my 20+ years as an Army Officer, I met PLENTY of West Pointers who admitted that were it not for sports, they probably wouldn’t have been admitted.

The coaches in football, hockey, etc have a lot of influence over who gets in.

A large percentage of those “Presidential” nominations are actually for varsity athletes.

Trust me. If ya wanna get into West Point, let’s just say that being a star athlete certainly doesn’t hurt your chances!!!

1 Like